Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have quietly introduced an updated version of its low-end 21.5-inch iMac for educational institutions, taking advantage of a cheaper dual-core Intel Core i3 processor and integrated graphics to offer pricing of $1099, $200 cheaper than the entry-level pricing for consumer models. The education-only iMac, which carries a model number of ME699LL/A, also includes just 4GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive, while the low-end consumer model doubles both of those figures.
iMac 21.5-inch: 3.3GHz Dual-core Intel Core i3 (Education only model)
Product Number : ME699LL/A

- 3.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i3
- 1920 x 1080 resolution
- 4GB (two 2GB) memory
- 500GB hard drive
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
imac_education_i3.jpg
It is unclear exactly when Apple began offering the new iMac for educational institutions, but it appears to be a very recent addition to Apple's lineup. The machine replaces the previous $999 iMac for educational institutions introduced over 18 months ago and is positioned to appeal to budget-conscious schools.

Potential customers should note that the $1099 iMac is only available for purchase by educational institutions and is not available to individuals making purchases through Apple's educational discount program. Orders are currently quoted as shipping in 5-7 business days, slightly longer than the 3-5 day estimates for other models through the Apple Store for Educational Institutions.

Consumer models of the iMac ordered through the regular online store in North America just saw their shipping estimates improve to "within 24 hours" earlier today. Apple has also lowered pricing on the 768 GB flash storage upgrade on the 27-inch Mac, dropping the upgrade charge from $1300 to $900.

Article Link: Apple Launches $1099 21.5-Inch iMac With 3.3 GHz Dual-Core i3 Processor for Educational Institutions

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

these systems will be just fine even for consumers. I wish they would offer them to the public...then maybe I would buy one (once they hit the refurb store)

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
My school just upgraded some of the iMacs about two weeks ago, and surprisingly they were the old thicker design with the disk drive. (same look as the ones from 2009-2012) Maybe this special educational model would explain why they didn't get the new 2012 ones? Or maybe my school just takes way too long to install all the necessary software. :confused:

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Don't know why budget-conscious schools don't buy PCs. PCs are far better than Mac even though I'm a Mac, iPhone, and iPad user. :confused:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Don't know why budget-conscious schools don't buy PCs. PCs are far better than Mac even though I'm a Mac, iPhone, and iPad user. :confused:

Umm my old college had Macs in the design, Art and Media department. I did media at college and used the iMacs. You may think PCS are cheaper, but in the long run they are far more expensive to maintain and keep working properly. I don't recall ever seeing an IT tech doing anything to any of the Macs and we had over 500 in the one building. It was a daily occurrence them going round fixing crashed PCS though in other parts of the college LOL. They also have to run constant updates on the PCS and make sure all anti virus stuff is working correctly.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
How can this be an "educational" discount? It's kind of ironic when you are offering this for educational institutions; you have to be pretty uneducated to buy into this price tag!

Sure it's a MAC, but seriously, $1099 is quite steep.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
PC's are nerdy. Mac's are cool. If you want to engage the general population of kids, you need to be cool.

And what Macnerd93 said...too!

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Does the 5 license per app rule still apply here?. Cheaper software could be one good reason for going Mac. With programs like pixelmator going at a mere fraction of what photoshop is retailing, you would more than recoup your initial investment in the long run.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

Why do you use a Mac when PCs are far better?

Macs are easier to use and harder to screw up. That's why they're used in schools. Kids know even less about computers now than they did in the 80s.

amerdian

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
London, UK
I really don't know about this model. I mean, if $200 gets you an i5 processor, 8GB of RAM and the very decent GT 640M as opposed to the integrated graphics, I think that any consumer wanting to get one of these iMacs would still choose all of the above over a $200 discount. But this is hardly a discount for schools, it is just a lower-price option.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How can this be an "educational" discount? It's kind of ironic when you are offering this for educational institutions; you have to be pretty uneducated to buy into this price tag!

Sure it's a MAC, but seriously, $1099 is quite steep.

Actually, it's "Mac", not MAC. Back to school for you friend. :)

And $1099 for a powerful computer is a good price. Back when I was in school, Macs cost upwards of $5000.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Xcode.

All a kid needs is a Mac and he can start writing apps (OS X or iOS) and make them available to the world in hours. For another $99 he can start selling them.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Actually, it's "Mac", not MAC. Back to school for you friend. :)

And $1099 for a powerful computer is a good price. Back when I was in school, Macs cost upwards of $5000.

This computer is not "powerful", especially considering it costs $1099. It's a desktop computer that doesnt even feature a dedicated GPU! That is astounding terrible, given the price of the thing.

Educational facilities are normally run on highly monitored, shoestring budgets. I simply dont see any normal institution spending this kind of money on something so weak, considering what $1099 will get you when it comes to buying Windows-based machines, subtracting bulk-buy discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.