Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Can't wait for the 256 GB at $899!

Seriously though, I think this is an odd moment to introduce this. Yes, it should have been introduced already, way earlier. But today it almost feels too late with iCloud, Netflix, Spotify, Dropbox, all that. I don't exactly have a growing library of mp3 files these days. Sure, it's nice if you have a conservative data plan, but I can't say I'm without WiFi for weeks at a time too often.

i've read a lot of corporations testing ipads for business use asked for this. especially those where people need to carry around large autodesk and similar files

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
See AT&T, Verizon & Sprint tiered data rates. Cloud could be wonderful but you have to pay these tollmasters for access anywhere, anytime that you are away from wifi. The cloud is not the answer as long as such tollmasters have a lock on the pipe between consumers and this cloud.

Yes, this is the reason. Back in October over a year ago when AT&T started limiting bandwidth for people on unlimited plans who go over 3GB, I spent two nights seeing how much bandwidth I could go through in those two nights. I downloaded the Complete Led Zeppelin twice and about 5-6 other albums and burned through just under 6GB those two nights. This is why we need the storage.

aikomhoch

macrumors member
May 23, 2003
Long Island
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?

For me it would be all about more music, in case iCloud match isn't working. I often have problems on the train, so if I know I have a huge chunk of my music with me I'm happy.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Can't wait for the 256 GB at $899!

Seriously though, I think this is an odd moment to introduce this. Yes, it should have been introduced already, way earlier. But today it almost feels too late with iCloud, Netflix, Spotify, Dropbox, all that. I don't exactly have a growing library of mp3 files these days. Sure, it's nice if you have a conservative data plan, but I can't say I'm without WiFi for weeks at a time too often.

Actually, not odd at all, considering the Microsoft Surface Pro is coming out later this week. I think Apple wants to compete with all the 128GB Windows 8 tablets and ultrabooks coming out. While an iPad might not be on the same level as a tablet running a full OS to most, it would be sufficient for many people, especially Mac people, as an Ipad is sufficient in the "big 3" - corporate email, web and remote desktop.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Apple should retire the 16gb model and make the 32gb $499 and so on.

Thats how it has been traditionally done.

Whats the reasoning for this? Are competitors offering this size? Is Apple trying to capture dollars from the few who would pay this premium before upgrading all the SKUs more storage. But then does make the premium models 256GB, that I can't see happening. Why Apple didn't just bump all the models is very confusing.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Lets pay as much as a full laptop for a device that does half of what the laptop does. Seems logical.

I used an iPad only while on travel for 9 months. The only thing I couldn't do was access my schools learning environment site. That was it. I did everything else, with the added bonus of being portable. I sold my 64gb due to the space. I didn't always have Internet access, so I needed to store locally on the iPad. Had this new 128gb model been around, I never would have bought my rMBP.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Wouldn't we need to jailbreak the iPad? If so, that's why you are not understanding why most consumers are paying for the fixed storage...most consumers don't have the skills (or knowledge to even know about in advance) to jailbreak.

Oh...didnt realize we were even discussing JB or not.

Well, if unlimited SD-Storage selection via iFile and free Tethering of your bought-data, and zyphyr 1 finger swip up app switcher are not reasons enough to JB, I don'k know what are!!!
LOL!!

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Why would someone need that much space when there are so many cloud services?

1) Data Rates from cell providers
2) Cloud services are not always available (in flight, traveling, bad signal areas, etc...)

3) As tablets get used for more and more daily life I expect to see more and more personal content stored on them, home movies, photos, documents (pages, numbers, keynote, omni outliner, omni graffle, photoshop, autocad, etc.. etc...)

4) there will always be a need and desire to have pleanty of offline storage.

5) The user can be less picky about what apps, games, pictures, movies, application caches, etc... they keep on the tablet.

6) some people don't trust or want to use cloud services

7) Speed, if you have a 2GB file, it is going to be faster to open, and easier to work with it on the local storage. multiply this out for a number of files.

8) many othe reasons that I'm to tired to think of right now.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
A mistake in marketing. Sales of the big Pads are down simply because the little ones are cheaper.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I dont understand why people are paying for fixed storage.

Just get the camera kit. Get any array of SD cards (including 128 Gigs). Install iFile (for easy selection and viewing movies right from), and carry your entire HD movie collection with you at all times, without taking any space on a 16 gig iPad......and no internet needed.

That seems a bit complicated for someone who's buying an iPad. I one want more storage, I don't have internet at my house so my 64gb iPhone has came in handy. When I'm around Wifi or at work, I can download all my Spotify tracks to my phone since it would destroy my data plan.

And I personally don't like to always rely on all of these magical cloud services, they go down and aren't always permanent solutions. Plus I for one actually pay for stuff, which means I can't just easily story iTunes content on a bunch of stupid SD cards. Plus after buying the camera connection kit and an SD card big enough to store everything one, wouldn't it make more sense to just upgrade to more storage anyways?

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Glad people that want it have the option, but I just signed up for iTunes Match last week, which now allows me plenty of space on my iDevices. Granted, I have my unlimited AT&T account still, and have no caps on my home Internet use.

I've always wanted a 128 GB phone, but now, for me, it's not needed. Here's hoping the option is there soon for those that want it, though.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
2) Cloud services are not always available (in flight, traveling, bad signal areas, etc...)

3) As tablets get used for more and more daily life I expect to see more and more personal content stored on them, home movies, photos, documents (pages, numbers, keynote, omni outliner, omni graffle, photoshop, autocad, etc.. etc...)

5) The user can be less picky about what apps, games, pictures, movies, application caches, etc... they keep on the tablet.

7) Speed, if you have a 2GB file, it is going to be faster to open, and easier to work with it on the local storage. multiply this out for a number of files.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Do we really need 128GB iPhone, what are you doing with the 64gb? Or are you suggesting it for suggestion sake?

I truly hate these posts. YOU may not need it, but who says other might not? IF you don't want a 128GB iPhone, don't buy it. This is why that have different size storage. Not everyone has unlimited data to stream music, or maybe they don't want too because it sucks up battery life. I don't stream just because I don't like it and my music taste can change all day long of what I want to listen too.

Other reasons listed and great points:

GuyCalledPete

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
I have a 64Gb 4S, and with most of my music on there, some photos, some documents, a few books, and one and a half pages of apps (in folders) I find myself with less than 500Mb remaining. I am regularly deleting apps when I install new ones simply because I don't have the space.

I won't be buying a new iPhone until 128Gb is an option.

-- Pete.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

I dont need that much but I can see the need if you store all of your music on your phone.

And movies take up a bit. I know the iphone isnt great for watching movies but you can always use airplay.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
I'm anticipating it, hoping for it, but there is no certainty. I'm surprised they upped the RAM on the iDevices, because it cuts down need for the cloud services.

You are confusing your words there. It does not have 128gb of RAM, it just has 128gb of Flash Storage. It actually only has 1gb of RAM.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Wouldn't we need to jailbreak the iPad? If so, that's why you are not understanding why most consumers are paying for the fixed storage...most consumers don't have the skills (or knowledge to even know about in advance) to jailbreak.

Or want to jailbreak... I like Apples smooth OS and solid performance all around. A few features aren't worth the comprimise IMO.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Because it's not just a phone any more. It's my music, video and photo library, it's a (kind of) games device and it's my point and shoot camera. 64gb is paltry. I filled up my first iOS device (64gb iPod touch in 2010) on day 1.
Now I spread my content between multiple devices. That way I don't have to micromanage any data. All music on iPhone, all photos on iPad, all my videos on iPod Classic.

Mullerman

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2008
How much?

The pricing for the memory hike is OK at the top end and pitiful at the bottom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.