Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I have the faulty adapter - got it with my iPhone 4. Sold it (without the adapter), and now have an iPhone 5. Wonder how I get the replacement, if they need the serial number of an eligible device?? :confused:

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Funny, have one of those that actually quit working some wks ago, will exchange it for a new one.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That program allows users to trade-in a third-party USB charger for a discount on an official Apple charger, and was created following the electrocution of a Chinese woman that may have been caused counterfeit iPhone charger.

Think you forgot a word or two.

----------

They should also replace some of the 10watt chargers, I've had two that died with a bang. Both of times they also killed my iPad.

You may want to check into the electric service. That's starting to be pretty bad.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
You may want to check into the electric service. That's starting to be pretty bad.

No problems with the electric service (it's spot on ~230AC), the iPad charger tended to overheat, the new 12 watt one doesn't heat up as much.

There are various reports of the iPad not charging because the charger overheated. Also there could've been a surge or something but my MacBook charger has also connected at least one of the times and it still works (it has more than 5 years and it is still going).

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
It is foolish to think you will be OK just because it hasn't overheated over the last two years. You should get it replaced as should anyone that has an affected adapter. Don't take chances.

Thanks mom, what was I thinking. I'll be home next weekend. And I'll bring my laundry.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I think my charger is affected.. Question: does it matter that my iPhone is jailbroken for Apple to give me a replacement? Because it says I have to show my iPhone's serial number in the shop..?

artuuur

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Portugal
I still don't understand why they want an iPhone serial number. I have two of these models: one that came with my iPhone 4 and one I bought afterwards so I cloud keep one at home and one at work. If they're exactly the same, shouldn't the both of them be replaced?

alex.hamilton

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
Burned adapter case

I had problem with this kind of adapter. Have a look to this photo. The only problem that I am not sure, because I have a lot of old iPhones... maybe it is from the very old one, because it looks not genuine a little...

Photo%2016-06-2014%2010%2040%2010.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n34bzj73jipten4/Photo 16-06-2014 10 40 10.jpg

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I still don't understand why they want an iPhone serial number. I have two of these models: one that came with my iPhone 4 and one I bought afterwards so I cloud keep one at home and one at work. If they're exactly the same, shouldn't the both of them be replaced?

The iPhone requirement doesn't make any sense to me at all, especially not since they sold them separately. I have two affected chargers, one from an iPhone, one bought separately. Will probably first try to exchange them without showing the phone just for fun.

I had problem with this kind of adapter. Have a look to this photo. The only problem that I am not sure, because I have a lot of old iPhones... maybe it is from the very old one, because it looks not genuine a little...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n34bzj73jipten4/Photo 16-06-2014 10 40 10.jpg

No, that certainly looks like a cheap knockoff. It doesn't even mention Apple, and the CE marking is a bit off. Doubt it is from an iPhone at all...

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
I just spoke to german reseller Gravis. They don't have additional chargers in the stores. The exchange is via Apple.
Which means: You leave your affected charger there together with a iPhone serial number, they send it to Apple and 4+ working days later you can pick up a new one.
Because of high demand it could take a couple of days more.

Not sure if I do it that way. Next Apple Store is to far away.

artuuur

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
Portugal
The iPhone requirement doesn't make any sense to me at all, especially not since they sold them separately. I have two affected chargers, one from an iPhone, one bought separately. Will probably first try to exchange them without showing the phone just for fun.

I went to an Apple Authorized Service Point (is that what they're called?) since we have no Apple Stores in Portugal. Gave them 2 chargers, one from my old iPhone 4 and one I bought to keep at work, and they asked for an iPhone serial number because the repair order needs to be tied to an Apple Device. What's funny is that the guy at the counter just took the IC number from the back cover. I don't even know what that is :D

Anyway, now I have to wait up to 30 days since Apple didn't send the replacements to Portugal in advance. Boo Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.