Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
The pricing matrix for iPhone will be more complicated and expensive, such as:

32 4" @ $599
64 4" @ $699
32 4.7" @ $749
64 4.7" @ $849
32 5.5" @ $899
64 5.5" @ $999
128 5.5" @ $1199

And I am being conservative here.

No, I don't think you are. There will definitely be 16 gb options available, if only on the legacy (5c / 5s) models. I'd expect that to start at $450 off contract, just like the 4s does now.

No reason to think the base model 6 will cost more than every base model apple has ever released since iPhone 3G: $649. Whether that base is 16 gb or 32 remains to be seen. Let's play worst case scenario: it's 16 gb in the base 6, and apple keeps the $100/storage upgrade, and they have the $100 premium for the 5.5", and there's a 128 gb available. That makes the 32 gb 4.7 $749, the 32 gb 5.5 $849, and the 128 gb 5.5 $1149.

And that's a lot of negative assumptions (premium for the 5.5", maintaining the $100 storage bump costs, and 16 gb base model).

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
The pricing matrix for iPhone will be more complicated and expensive, such as:

32 4" @ $599
64 4" @ $699
32 4.7" @ $749
64 4.7" @ $849
32 5.5" @ $899
64 5.5" @ $999
128 5.5" @ $1199

And I am being conservative here. Entry iPhones (4" screen) will most likely be cheaper than now and be the "6c" for that generation, but I fully expect the pricing to go off the charts quickly after that and we will see the first $1000+ iPhone which is absolutely ridiculous even for today.

There is no way Apple is not going to bling out the iPhone in sapphire and not recuperate their R&D costs by reducing their profit margins, even though they are pricing themselves out of competition.

4"
5C 16gb - $399
5S 32gb - $499

4.7"
6 32gb - $599
6 64gb - $699

5.5"
6 32gb - $699
6 64gb - $799
6 128gb - $899

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
I doubt they would release another iPod touch within a year.

With other devices coming out, I think the Touch line is going to be phased out.

with the way mobile gaming is going to go and with the Metal API announced at WWDC for future A7 and future iOS devices there is no way the Touch is phased out.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
My guess is by the end of the year Apple will not be selling any iOS devices with A5 chip. Maybe a budget iPhone with A6 chip but everything else will be 64-bit.

Generally that would be correct. Apple ruls the iPod Touch one gen behind other stuff. So the fall is time for the "budget" A7 chips to come out and the new models of phones with A8 chips and fancy features.

I'd agree this is a "housecleaning" run to clear out the manufacturing channel until fall. That said, they may not want to physically change the Touch very much as its used in many portable POS systems... Which has people buying a hahf dozen of them at a time.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I think this will be the iPod Touch's last hurrah. This is a dead product line.

Bite your tongue my friend. If you think Apple is offering two sizes of iPhone 6, you are kidding yourself.

My prediction is the 4.7" screen device is in fact the Sixth Generation iPod Touch and the 5.5" screen is the iPhone 6.

----------

with the way mobile gaming is going to go and with the Metal API announced at WWDC for future A7 and future iOS devices there is no way the Touch is phased out.

"There will always be a market for a product with no monthly fee." -- unknown but respected.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Bite your tongue my friend. If you think Apple is offering two sizes of iPhone 6, you are kidding yourself.

My prediction is the 4.7" screen device is in fact the Sixth Generation iPod Touch and the 5.5" screen is the iPhone 6.

Quoted for future eating of crow ... or victorious shouts of “I told you so!” :D

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

Dear god, no! I seriously doubt apple is going from thinking no phone buyer wants a phablet to thinking every phone buyer wants a phablet. 5"+ phones are an increasing slice of the market but still far from the majority.

Virtua1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
good news for iPod fans...

Well this is good news, and will help increase installed base with better prices.

• taking the camera out seemed pointless and fragmentary
  • even every 4g had one!
  • granted the 4g camera was bad but at least there was one in a pinch for video!
Now lets get an iPod 6g out this fall!!! Kids will love 'em!!!

Last edited:

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

----------

"There will always be a market for a product with no monthly fee." -- unknown but respected.

You're telling him to bite his tongue? You're clueless. The most popular phone today is the 5S and it has a 4 inch screen. Do you really believe Apple would release a flagship phone which would only come in a phablet of 5.5 inches?

People don't seem to realize that while the phablet market has become bigger, it's nowhere near the largest portion of mobile phones in the market.

Get real.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I still don't see why anybody would buy this outdated iPod in 2014...

i agree. i've been waiting for an update but getting tired now. i've been reluctant to buy an iPad mini cause its still too big to fit into my jeans pocket. I may have found an answer. I just ordered a special type of collared shirt that has an extra large chest pocket. its big enough to hold an iPad mini. If it fits completely in this pocket i may switch from IPT forever

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
no its not, retail stores and manufacturers/brand manufacturers (showrooms, trade shows)

are ALL moving towards mobile devices to take orders and scan items.

No body wants to pay for a $700 dollar off contract iPhone, PLUS the $500 dollar Linea Pro barcode scanner/credit card swiper, when theres absolutely no need for an iPhone.

Our back end product sales pitch is based off this. they get rid of it, it gives more leeway for android products to step into this market.

Trust me businesses can afford a $700 iPhone for this, considering a Motorola MC9090 that Walmart uses cost about $1,500 a piece, and almost every associate carries one. That isn't an issue. Lowe's seem to be doing fine with iPhones, albeit, No SIM unless you're a manager.

The Apple store uses iPhones with no SIM as well

However iPod obviously would lower the cost dramatically from these devices.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Apple Launches New 16GB iPod Touch for $199, Drops 32/64GB Models to $249/$299

i agree. i've been waiting for an update but getting tired now. i've been reluctant to buy an iPad mini cause its still too big to fit into my jeans pocket. I may have found an answer. I just ordered a special type of collared shirt that has an extra large chest pocket. its big enough to hold an iPad mini. If it fits completely in this pocket i may switch from IPT forever

Bonus bullet proofing.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I have an itouch 4G with an A4! The current has an A5 and is suppose to be double the speed and graphics is suppose to be 3 or 4 times faster.

But the A7 is double the speed of the A6 and 3 or 4 times faster in graphics.

The A8 is suppose to be faster the then the A7 but not double; since it is design for power efficiency.

I almost purchase one today but I said I just double up on the function with my iPhone 6! Save some money but I might have to wait till December/January to buy an unlocked model iphone 6!

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
if you think this you're not a regular iPod touch user. i've been carrying one in my pocket for 3 years. why? no monthly fee! Phone calls I don't make much, especially while i'm able to contact people via texts, email and FaceTime audio. I carry with me a cheap prepaid phone which maybe cost me $25 every 90 days. This is who the IPT is for alone with teens.

Public wifi is also becoming more available. if you used an IPT regularly you'd be amazed at how many places are around.

If you want I can call you for free and tell you about it via FaceTime audio.

Just imagine if you could Bluetooth link your iPod Touch to your feature phone, and so use the iPod Touch for SMS and cell phone calls.

In my city, since I signed up for cable internet at home, I can use wifi all through the downtown area, and don't need to use data.

How nice of them do this now after I already bought my daughter a silver one with one camera for Christmas.

I kept asking her a month after that if she wanted one with two cameras and she said 'I'm fine with it.' She's not very good at using the front facing camera, so I should've exchanged it anyway.

Sorry, are you complaining about a device you bought last Christmas, 6 months ago, or a device you just bought, six months early for Christmas. Both seem a tad silly, in different ways.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
You're telling him to bite his tongue? You're clueless. The most popular phone today is the 5S and it has a 4 inch screen. Do you really believe Apple would release a flagship phone which would only come in a phablet of 5.5 inches?

People don't seem to realize that while the phablet market has become bigger, it's nowhere near the largest portion of mobile phones in the market.

Get real.

You are the one with the location of "Wonderland" in your profile. I'm convinced there is a sixth generation iPod Touch somewhere in the next hardware launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.