Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
I've been in tons of offices where the reception desk is a cool, custom designed white curvy thing. Hell, this even describes every frozen yogurt place around here too. A black monitor saying DELL on the back just doesn't look right in those settings.

Predictably, all of those offices have iMacs (or sometimes iPads) as their front desk computer.

So you're trying to tell me people won't buy it for those uses? No, I'm saying I'm ALREADY seeing iMacs in those places. Having a cheaper option sure won't stop them in the future.

No, I'm not saying that you can't shoot some crows with an expensive gun, but cheaper gun will shoot the crows dead just the same.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I was just thinking this... get an 11 inch base model with a 1tb external HDD and a 23 inch monitor for about the same price...

It never compares. You can't compare an 11" MBA with 23" display, and external HDD to a desktop AIO with one power cable.

The clutter on your desk alone is enough to drive some people insane.

Also, if you never plan on taking it with you, what's the point? Might as well get the iMac and be done with it.

An organisation wanting cheaper Macs in those quantities won't be shopping at the Apple online store; they would be working directly with whatever department is in charge of bulk purchases or something.

This and even when I worked for a University we bought our bulk Mac purchases from a 3rd party retailer that gave us a cheaper base price, and cheaper custom ordered parts price.

Buying direct from Apple is a sure-fire way to spend $10,000 (depending on the amount of machines) more for no reason at all.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
This is the first time I'm wonder "what in the world is Apple doing??"
NO Mac Mini in 2 years! (Yes I'm waiting)
NO Thunderbolt Display in 3 years (Yes I'm Waiting)
lame macbook air update for 2014
lame imac update for 2014
No new Apple TV update
No new iPod updates in 2 years
No new update for the beloved iPod Classic since 2009???!!!!

its june 2014 and still no new products

I mean, whats going on??????:mad:

There is nothing wrong with Apple coz those things are cool but not very profitable.

Apple makes most of money from iOS devices and iTunes Store. That's why they are upgrading them every year.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
This is the first time I'm wonder "what in the world is Apple doing??"
NO Mac Mini in 2 years! (Yes I'm waiting)
NO Thunderbolt Display in 3 years (Yes I'm Waiting)
lame macbook air update for 2014
lame imac update for 2014
No new Apple TV update
No new iPod updates in 2 years
No new update for the beloved iPod Classic since 2009???!!!!

its june 2014 and still no new products

I mean, whats going on??????:mad:

I'm waiting for the tell-all book by an insider. It's gonna be a shocker. Something really bad in going on in there. I suspect tons of their best people left.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, guys. Because they will come into your home and remove mice and keyboards at gunpoint.

Oh, you mean it's an optional input mechanism that is used at appropriate times only? That must be too hard for some to conjure.

In other words, it doesn't make sense for them to increase costs of iMacs for something that they think few people will use or be satisfied with (and indeed is another thing that can break). Not to mention that OS X isn't particularly optimized for touch screen as of now and will probably frustrate users.

I'm not saying that Apple won't have touchscreens in the future, but that they don't see touchscreens as offering enough benefit (potentially better input for some) to Macs for Apple to justify the drawbacks of including them (higher costs, poor ergonomics).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm waiting for the tell-all book by an insider. It's gonna be a shocker. Something really bad in going on in there. I suspect tons of their best people left.

Nah, Apple will drop a bomb this fall like they've done in previous years. For whatever reason Cook has decided to move the majority of hardware updates to September and October.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010

Somethings going on. That's for sure. Right now they are just seeing what they can get away with.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Exactly. Plus, getting a cursor from one side of a 27" screen to another requires minimal effort using a mouse/trackpad.

To drag an icon using your hand on a touchscreen would require actually moving your hand across the entire screen.

If touch screens had come first, people would view the mouse as an incredible labor-saving device.

You: "If touch screens had come first, people would view the mouse as an incredible labor-saving device."

Me: I rarely read really good points here. This is actually really insightful. You could also add trackpads as they proportionally cover large screen real estate with gestures as well as pointing and click.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I really wonder if the people that complain about modest updates "get it." Meaning - Apple might not care about "you" in terms of this round of updates. Perhaps they'll target their next update to hit those who have been waiting for something significant. Instead - some people should remember that there are many people who own much older devices and/or aren't on Apple's platform yet. So these newer products are catered to those who want to make sure they are buying Apple's latest and greatest - not something that's outdated.

This "issue" isn't just about consumer products. It happens within companies when it comes to websites, collateral, etc. Some people tend to look at things day in and day out and get bored or feel something is stale - forgetting that for a new customer or visitor, it's all new and they are experiencing it for the first time.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
Nah, Apple will drop a bomb this fall like they've done in previous years. For whatever reason Cook has decided to move the majority of hardware updates to September and October.

Iwatch or appletv is not a bomb since we can already imagine the uses for such devices. Unless it's something no one was expecting it's no bomb.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Iwatch or appletv is not a bomb since we can already imagine the uses for such devices. Unless it's something no one was expecting it's no bomb.

What I meant by bomb was announcing a bunch of products all around the same time.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I really wonder if the people that complain about modest updates "get it." Meaning - Apple might not care about "you" in terms of this round of updates. Perhaps they'll target their next update to hit those who have been waiting for something significant. Instead - some people should remember that there are many people who own much older devices and/or aren't on Apple's platform yet. So these newer products are catered to those who want to make sure they are buying Apple's latest and greatest - not something that's outdated.

This "issue" isn't just about consumer products. It happens within companies when it comes to websites, collateral, etc. Some people tend to look at things day in and day out and get bored or feel something is stale - forgetting that for a new customer or visitor, it's all new and they are experiencing it for the first time.
Agree 100%, but still think the could/should have hit the $999 price point.

TheThirdMan

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
London, UK
This seems really strange. The CPU in this new cheaper imac is more expensive than the one in the more expensive model.

This new one would seem to have the i5 4260u whilst the others have the i5 4670. The 4260u is a $315 CPU, the 4670 is $213. I know Apple get preferential pricing, but this still seems very strange. Could it be they've decided to make less profit just to maintain product differentiation?

It could also be Intel is selling apple the worst i5s they have and rating them only for 1.4ghz and that's how Apple can sell it for less, but the specs match the CPU above identically. I would normally imagine they'd go for the desktop i5s and lower the speed than the more expensive mobile i5s.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
It probably takes a long time because they have to redirect all the links (there are probably a lot), update images, update literature & test everything so that nothing broke in the process of the update.

That is not how an ecommerce site works. They should have a staging server that is a perfect replica of the production server and all the testing should be done there. Then when they release to production, it should take just a couple of minutes, especially for a small change such as this. There should be almost no down time.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It's not "might as well." It is what schools are doing RIGHT NOW in droves. Google/Chrome are taking the classroom by storm.

Yes, you are correct.

My wife is a school teacher, and almost all of their learning materials are accessed via the web or the school's cloud.

And this is in inner city Baltimore here folks, I am sure the suburbs have just as much tech oriented lessons and learning tools. When it comes to accessing the web, setting up students with Gmail accounts, and managing all of this stuff everyone keeps telling me, and I keep reading how Google is killing it.

The iMacs would have been so much better at $899. Good for folks just looking to buy a Mac of some kind with a screen already attached.

I really think they need to bring back an eMac sort of machine. Or a 15" AIO iMac with mBA CPU, 8GB of RAM, and 64GB SSD for $899.

ap4lifetn

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Dont forget that the quad core i5 also has a turbo boost, also the tdp is shared between the hd5000 and the CPU for this config. You're not going to see both running at full speed. For 1099 this is a ripoff

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I will stick to a mac mini hooked to my TV. Just waiting to take advantage of a 4k resolution with yosemite.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.