Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Once again, one of the most important parts has been left to the bottom of the ad page.

Where do I go if I drop my Nexus anywhere in the world?

It's not like Apple has stores and geniuses in every country, and Kuwait definetly does not have any stores.

----------

Are you on crack?

What sucks about iCloud?
What is meh about iTunes?
What is meh about iOS 6, maps, etc.?

If you're going to make a statement, back it up with some specifics, or you're just wasting everybody's time.

My experience with iCloud, iTunes, iOS 6, and maps is amazing. Never have things worked so well together and offered up such a rich, engaging experience. The demands that consumers are putting on Apple these days is getting out of control. Appreciate the beauty of engineering you are holding in your hand!

Can't say much about iOS 6, but maps doesn't even have directions I'm Kuwait, whereas Google does. Where not even talking about turn by turn navigation.

iTunes may be the most crashiest freeziest program I have used on my Mac.

iCloud, I do not know, I only use it for email and that's it.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
Next week, we will be entitled to Apple explaining "Why you'll love the mac" :D

Apple could just give us the answer in two sentences: Why? because Fandroid and PC fanbois love plastic and we give you ALUMINIUM. We don't allow you to alert our OS so whenever you have issues with that you just come visit us and we will ask you to go home and send an e-mail to us, we don't need you to go to XDA-Developers to find the answer:D:apple:

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
This wasn't directed at me but I'll bite.

iOS 6/Maps - They have the temerity to put out a half finished Maps app as a flagship component of their 'new' OS. The Maps app is mediocre at very best and highlights the fact that Apple, in its quest for omnipotence, is willing to sacrifice quality. iOS features few overhauls and updates.

How the hell could they have released a finished maps app the first time around? To get mapping the entire planet perfect for version 1 is impossible. Google has had years and years. Apple? Less than 1. Do you realize how hard it is to map this much space? Or are you taking the bratty consumer approach of "psh. Well i don't care I'm not impressed"? Give it time. It'll get better. For me it's been flawless, but i'm in the states so what do i know?

NoneOfYourB

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
So please explain why Top fortune companies don't use OSX for running their business critical enterprise software ... lets face it, OSX will not go beyond the SOHO market and for that purpose its fine.

To call it the most solid computer OS on earth is a blatant lie.

By your logic Windows XP has to be the most solid OS...

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
True - No Android Device Support

Once again, one of the most important parts has been left to the bottom of the ad page.

Where do I go if I drop my Nexus anywhere in the world?

As much as I don't like the "Geniuses" and the "Genius Bar" at least there IS someplace to take my Apple Devices whenever something goes wrong (which, contrary to popular belief is "often"). Whenever my Galaxy SII or Nexus 7 craps out my only option is to keep fussing with it and hope it "fixes" itself if I remove the battery and reboot enough times. Because as much as I don't like the cliche, my Android devices seem to crash a LOT.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
You know why I got an iPad? Cause I won it from a college. It's an iPad 2 but I still love mine. Even though it doesn't have a retina screen and it's outdated, it's still perfect for me.

Spot on.

I own an iPad 2 and there is not a single compelling reason for me to upgrade in the near future.

iPad is very much a luxury device. There isn't anything it can do that my iPhone, or any given laptop can't, it's just a nice to have. The screen is absolutely fine, and when the inevitable time comes when Apple drops the arbitrary obsolescence hammer on my beloved device, I'll persevere for a while, and when the lack of apps, support or it breaks, I'll probably buy myself a nexus tablet or just go without a tablet.

I've liked all of the Apple products I've owned. I just don't see a compelling reason to upgrade from my iPhone 4s (I've been out of contract for almost a year now) or my iPad 2. It's almost as if that sweet spot has been found, and everything since then has just been gimmicky (I'd argue Siri is a gimmick, but I digress)

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
i love how apples marketing always makes it seem like their customers are idiots and need everything spelt out for them :D

my favorite is still "this is my thumb ... and it goes from here ... to here"

looking forward to their first apple tv ad already. "this is the brand new apple tv, it comes with a 42 inch screen which you can use for watching movies and tv shows among other incredible things like watching live television"

Most people are "idiots" when it comes to computer tech. That's why the iPad has done so well. I have been in the tech-support field for many years and have many friends with iPads, and I can tell you that very few of them or people in general are even close to being tech-savvy.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I download pdf into iBooks on iPhone. Will it appear on my iPad as well? Nope! It just doesn't work, it doesn't put content on all my devices. This is what sucks about iCloud: it's very limited and works only for tiny scope of things.
To copy that pdf from iPhone to iPad I need to have computer with iTunes. So what's meh about iTunes is that it's required for things that shouldn't require any external software at all.
And what is meh about iOS is that it doesn't contain some basic functions expected in any OS, like copying documents to and from device.
As for maps, one of the major streets in my city was renamed in 1990, but Apple Maps still uses pre-1990 name. WTF is this? Where they did even find such outdated database?

To copy that pdf you can just put it into dropbox. You can then access dropbox from your iPad or iPhone. Done.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
My wife and I picked up ipad mini's a month ago and we absolutely love them. Barely use our iphone 5s since except for calls of course. The display is fine as far as we can tell. No noticable differences to us. Great battery life and great product.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
lets face it, OSX will not go beyond the SOHO market and for that purpose its fine.

HAHAHHAHA dude you just made my Friday with that

and it's so true. as an engineer, buying anything with OSX is a completely waste of money. yeah there are workarounds for running what i need, but why go to all of that trouble at that point just to have OSX? it's just not worth the trouble and cost.

i think Windows 7 + iOS devices is the perfect combo. i've found it to work extremely well and i'm glad that iCloud integrates with Window

i still need to have a Windows XP machine though, as some of my analysis programs require XP.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
To copy that pdf you can just put it into dropbox. You can then access dropbox from your iPad or iPhone. Done.

That's fine for a handful of PDFs, but what if I have hundreds of PDFs organized hierarchically in a deep folder structure on my Mac? There is no way to drag and drop the parent folder onto an iPad and preserve the organization, is there? This is a simple matter to do wirelessly on an Android tablet. Apple apparently figures that people only use iPads to passively consume content.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
How the hell could they have released a finished maps app the first time around? To get mapping the entire planet perfect for version 1 is impossible. Google has had years and years. Apple? Less than 1. Do you realize how hard it is to map this much space? Or are you taking the bratty consumer approach of "psh. Well i don't care I'm not impressed"? Give it time. It'll get better. For me it's been flawless, but i'm in the states so what do i know?

I didn't expect it to be 100% complete but I expected it to be usable. Having sections in black and white is not usable, missing entire countries is not usable. Old names of towns and cities is not usable. Apple had a perfectly acceptable alternative which they could've used for one year longer (Google) but they decided to change to their own solution early out of hubris. They should have spent longer perfecting Maps.

And to make things worse, they are adding additional features to certain areas before addressing the basic issues which affect plenty of places. They should be focusing on getting the foundations right instead of adding window dressing to a select few cities.

I am aware that making a maps app is extremely difficult and time consuming. But the maps downgrade that occured from iOS 5 to 6 was nothing short of a fiasco, caused entirely by Apple's egotism and hubris.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Seems like all apple does these days are new ads.

And it's not needed. Ipad has a well established market people know how well made they are.

I could understand how other tablet makers who need to advertise but apple doesn't need to spend money on it.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Nothing "brilliant" about these displays. Especially the Mini made by mediocre manufacturers like LG and AUO. The 10" iPad screen is better but still it is old tech LCD. When they will offer OLED screens then we can call them "brilliant"...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Apple apparently figures that people only use iPads to passively consume content.

Yes and that's the way many people use it.

If you want to replace your computer with a mobile version that does everything, they want you to buy an MBA or MBP.

Making the iPad replace all of the above will take a while.

Silvereel

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
I've liked all of the Apple products I've owned. I just don't see a compelling reason to upgrade from my iPhone 4s (I've been out of contract for almost a year now) or my iPad 2. It's almost as if that sweet spot has been found, and everything since then has just been gimmicky (I'd argue Siri is a gimmick, but I digress)

And after the Nexus, your next tablet will be an iPad :D

Seriously, though, you say you love the screen. I promise you, the Retina Display is not a gimmick!

----------

That's fine for a handful of PDFs, but what if I have hundreds of PDFs organized hierarchically in a deep folder structure on my Mac? There is no way to drag and drop the parent folder onto an iPad and preserve the organization, is there? This is a simple matter to do wirelessly on an Android tablet. Apple apparently figures that people only use iPads to passively consume content.

Actually, yeah, if you use Dropbox the hierarchy will be there, just like on your Mac!

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Are you on crack?

What sucks about iCloud?
What is meh about iTunes?
What is meh about iOS 6, maps, etc.?

If you're going to make a statement, back it up with some specifics, or you're just wasting everybody's time.

My experience with iCloud, iTunes, iOS 6, and maps is amazing. Never have things worked so well together and offered up such a rich, engaging experience. The demands that consumers are putting on Apple these days is getting out of control. Appreciate the beauty of engineering you are holding in your hand!

Maps has been a hit or a miss for me, mainly because of no public transit (so I use Google Maps for that), but iCloud and iTunes have been amazing for me. With iCloud, I love being able to save something to the cloud and opening it up on my other device without having to send it through email, and I've been using iTunes for as long as I can remember (I didn't like version 10 when they removed the colors, but I like version 11).

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
So you had to search on Google to find some reason why iCloud sucks, rather then bringing some from your own experience with it?

Perhaps you are Google adverse, they brought up all the points I have personally experienced. If that's not good enough for you, it's time for you to _do_ something besides being passive. Especially when advocating for an troubled Apple creation.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
as an engineer, buying anything with OSX is a completely waste of money.

I can say as a professional developer, architect, writer, OSX has been outstanding for me ... some things I love about it (mostly from the Unix underpinnings) and I'm able to accomplish some work I can't on Windows.

Where I specifically need Windows, it runs terrific as a VM (concurrent with other VMs I need), and since I've started using a VM for Windows, I've been able to better manage "re-instancing" when my install goes pear shaped.

Plus I dig on the total ownership experience that comes with an Apple.

:)

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Yes and that's the way many people use it.

If you want to replace your computer with a mobile version that does everything, they want you to buy an MBA or MBP.

Making the iPad replace all of the above will take a while.

I don't see it as an either/or proposition. Simply adding a filesystem to iOS would give users much more flexibility and power over how they use their devices. Would it be too complicated for the average tablet buyer? Maybe, but it's not necessary for Apple to put the iOS Finder front and center. I'm not talking about having iOS devices boot to a command prompt, I just want more control over files. Optimally, I'd like the power to use an iPad to log into any Mac on my local network, browse it, and retrieve the files I need. For example, if I'm reading a book on my iPad and see a reference to another book, I want to be able to access that book without getting up, booting my Mac Pro, and sending the epub into the cloud.

Loading all my PDFs, epubs, photos, and other assorted files into some cloud is not going to happen. I do not have access to unlimited bandwidth and will not in the forseeable future. The trend in America is towards faster connections with limited bandwidth caps, which is pretty much the worst possible setup for cloud storage.

Even with free bandwidth, we come back to iCloud's limitation of a flat file structure. There is no easy way to dump thousands of files into iCloud and maintain any sort of organization. It's not made for "active" users, rather it's made for people who just poke at their devices and do light surfing, maybe saving a file here and there.

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
So please explain why Top fortune companies don't use OSX for running their business critical enterprise software ... lets face it, OSX will not go beyond the SOHO market and for that purpose its fine.

To call it the most solid computer OS on earth is a blatant lie.

Because Microsoft monopolised the entire business market while apple was being run by clowns in the 90's actually.

That's a compatibility issue, not a reliability issue. Heck Linux trumps Windows on anything from drivers to security. Just because its not compatible with much does not make it a bad OS.

Every time I use windows on many different machines I always hear that horrid "ding" error sound at least once. And often the problem is highly complex. OSX crashes and has problems for too of course, it's far from perfect but there's no way I'll ever say that osx has just as many or more issues on a daily basis than windows. Osx very rarely gives crap like "super runtime error 962836282gwksgsui. Go **** your self". And sure I can google these error message codes and Microsoft can give me some dumb solution like "clear your cache" etc that very rarely works.

End rant :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
HAHAHHAHA dude you just made my Friday with that

and it's so true. as an engineer, buying anything with OSX is a completely waste of money. yeah there are workarounds for running what i need, but why go to all of that trouble at that point just to have OSX? it's just not worth the trouble and cost.

i think Windows 7 + iOS devices is the perfect combo. i've found it to work extremely well and i'm glad that iCloud integrates with Window

i still need to have a Windows XP machine though, as some of my analysis programs require XP.

XP mode (XP running in a VM).

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I can say as a professional developer, architect, writer, OSX has been outstanding for me ... some things I love about it (mostly from the Unix underpinnings) and I'm able to accomplish some work I can't on Windows.

Where I specifically need Windows, it runs terrific as a VM (concurrent with other VMs I need), and since I've started using a VM for Windows, I've been able to better manage "re-instancing" when my install goes pear shaped.

Plus I dig on the total ownership experience that comes with an Apple.

:)

yeah unfortunately OSX is not the greatest for mechanical engineering programs. yeah i can run Windows in a VM environment but i don't want to have to keep switching back and forth. hence why i have stuck with Windows for my computing needs, but i have iOS for mobile devices (iPhone and iPad).

----------

XP mode (XP running in a VM).

extra steps are not necessary when i can just have a Windows computer. if you are talking about XP compatibility mode in Windows 7, i can assure you that these programs won't even run in that

OSX is great, but it's not that great that i need to inconvenience myself on a daily basis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.