Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I currently have the original 15" MBPr from 2012 and have no antireflective coating issues. I also only ever clean my display with that monster display spray apple sells or used to sell and the big blue microfiber cloth that comes with the spray.

vampyr

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
I'm confused by these pictures... The ENTIRE SCREEN looks reflective to me. So where is the anti-reflective coating at?
What I mean is... the pictures show an obvious stain in areas of the screen, but the areas that AREN'T stained are extremely reflective. I don't get it. :/

and1tennis

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
I have a macbook pro 2015 13" and currently have no issues. I do however, need to clean off the marks on the screen from the keyboard closing every week or so. I wonder if a problem will arise in the future. I have apple care until april 2015, so according to the article, I have 3 years from that date, or rather april 2018. Cool to know if the problem arrises I can get a replacement screen!

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
I have a macbook pro 2015 13" and currently have no issues. I do however, need to clean off the marks on the screen from the keyboard closing every week or so. I wonder if a problem will arise in the future. I have apple care until april 2015, so according to the article, I have 3 years from that date, or rather april 2018. Cool to know if the problem arrises I can get a replacement screen!

Definitely extend your applecare. It's worth it.

Reactions: and1tennis

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
I was pretty scared ever since I heard about this one month after buying my first MacBook Pro. So glad this is an option now, I can stop being so paranoid about handling my device..

semuelt

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
I have a mid 2014 MBP, and i just extended my warranty (for 2 more years) - just in case

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that apple care was not extendable... Once it expires it expires...?

I was under the impression you only have your standard 1 year applecare warranty. If that is the case, then you can extend this for another 2 years with an Applecare protection plan.

and1tennis

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2014
I was under the impression you only have your standard 1 year applecare warranty. If that is the case, then you can extend this for another 2 years with an Applecare protection plan.
you're right! thanks... I spoke with apple and they can extend it for $350, which seems a little steep. But I believe its worth it.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
you're right! thanks... I spoke with apple and they can extend it for $350, which seems a little steep. But I believe its worth it.

I tend to think that if something is going to go wrong, it generally will during the standard warrantly period. Have never ever bought apple care in 30 years of owning apple products. Have never regretted it.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I've received a reply from Citizens Advice and they told me that: (note all these quotes are related to the UK law)

"Any other costs or losses you incur as a direct result of the breach of contract are known as ‘consequential losses’ and you may ask to be reimbursed for these costs. " (breached because it was not sold fit for purpose etc.

Basically because Apple have breached the Sales of Goods act 1979 (as amended), they are responsible for any costs this repair will be to me, including travel.

I've forwarded this to the Executive and will see what he says. (but obviously they will do their best to avoid the small fee of my travelling expense)

Trading standards will also be informed of Apple activities because they are breaching contract and expecting consumers to travel to any location at the their own cost is wrong.

Lol at the amount of bitching Apple customers on this forum!

When a multi Billon dollar company breaches the law, they should not get away with it. It's called not being fair and honest (see my above reply)

Last edited:
Reactions: SSD-GUY

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Apple used a screen size Jobs thought was best. After that Apple refused to awknowledge that competitors created a new category. While Samsung was coming up the best Apple could do is tell people how it makes the best phone for one handed use. Did you forget that?

If not for Samsung phablets we'd still be using 4inch iPhones.

And?? So?? Apple's iPhone today is still beating the Samsung Phablets.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Way to change the subject. Remember when I said this:
I'm not changing any subject. I simply responded based on your post putting down Apple for it's successes while you were giving Samsung much credit just because Apple took notice of their larger screens. And no, I don't remember anything you wrote because I don't spend my daily life on this forum. I have a life. You do realize there are many many many other people and threads here to read and respond to? I hope you don't think you're the only person's posts that get read?

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I'm not changing any subject. I simply responded based on your post putting down Apple for it's successes while you were giving Samsung much credit just because Apple took notice of their larger screens. And no, I don't remember anything you wrote because I don't spend my daily life on this forum. I have a life. You do realize there are many many many other people and threads here to read and respond to? I hope you don't think you're the only person's posts that get read?

What part of "sometimes the customer is 100% right" didn't you understand? It took years, yes years, for Apple to respond to customer requests for a larger phone.

eajimoba

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Quote the following Article No. and it will direct the Service Center to the internal Article issued to Apple Service Centers.

The article number that they can look up also that specifically covers the Anti-reflective coating issue is BN2886.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
How long is the process taking? Assuming they agree it is covered, how long are people without their computer assuming you take it to an Apple Store?
I've never had any service performed at the Apple store that took longer than 48 hours or 2 business days max. That included screen replacements done on my iMac.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I promise you it has nothing to do with listening to customer feedback, and is more about trying to avoid a class action lawsuit.
If apple listened we would have bigger batteries, All iphones would be in 1080, and no more 16gb phones.

Yeah Apple doesn't listen to its customers at all ever. That's why it has by far the highest customers service and loyalty ratings in the industry.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Apple used a screen size Jobs thought was best. After that Apple refused to awknowledge that competitors created a new category. While Samsung was coming up the best Apple could do is tell people how it makes the best phone for one handed use. Did you forget that?

If not for Samsung phablets we'd still be using 4inch iPhones.

I laughed out loud reading that so thanks. Not sure where to start...how about Samsung was not remotely the first to have large screens. How about not everyone wants aa Phablet screen. How about there is zero reason to think Apple would never have larger screens at some point and it certainly wasn't Samsung's paltry sales that caused them to do this.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
I laughed out loud reading that so thanks. Not sure where to start...how about Samsung was not remotely the first to have large screens. How about not everyone wants aa Phablet screen. How about there is zero reason to think Apple would never have larger screens at some point and it certainly wasn't Samsung's paltry sales that caused them to do this.

Do you remember the Apple slide where it stated that Apple doesn't provide what customers want? Now that was funny. Just like Jobs fought the creation of the iPad Mini I bet people at Apple fought the creation of a larger iPhone.

And Samsung didn't have paltry sales back when a large iPhone didn't exist. What world were you living in? Samsung sales were massive.

BeanyBob

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
Can anyone confirm that this "program" actually exists? I have seen no evidence of anybody actually getting their screen replaced and it seems a little odd that Apple made no announcement and didn't even put it on their site with their other recalls. I'm not totally sure how MacRumors got access to this information and nobody else did. There isn't any proof in the article.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Apple have finally responded with:

"As discussed previously, Apple will be unable to meet your request for Travel expenses to the Apple Retail Store."

It is not my request. It is the law in the UK. Apple cannot keep getting away with this. There are potentially thousands of other consumers that will be out of pocket for Apple's mistake. They are so ignorant and full of themselves.

I will make it my job to see something is done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.