Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Apple have finally responded with:

"As discussed previously, Apple will be unable to meet your request for Travel expenses to the Apple Retail Store."

It is not my request. It is the law in the UK. Apple cannot keep getting away with this. There are potentially thousands of other consumers that will be out of pocket for Apple's mistake. They are so ignorant and full of themselves.

I will make it my job to see something is done.
Lol, apple is just another ignorant corporation.. Hope u win your case here...

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Lol, apple is just another ignorant corporation.. Hope u win your case here...

The Executive said Apple won't cover travel expenses. They cannot give any reason why and state "Apple are not required and dose not intend to engage in this dispute"

So, basically, shut up and do what we want, if you want your computer fixed... where the fault was our own.

I've contacted a few outlets in the UK and will see what they say. Likelyhood is nothing will happen. Although, according to an advisor, I'm entitled to a full refund because Apple is not sticking to the contract of sale.

alding

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
Can anyone confirm that this "program" actually exists? I have seen no evidence of anybody actually getting their screen replaced and it seems a little odd that Apple made no announcement and didn't even put it on their site with their other recalls. I'm not totally sure how MacRumors got access to this information and nobody else did. There isn't any proof in the article.

I'm in Malaysia and I just got mine replaced under this program at no cost.

ddw234

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Awesome! Nothing wrong with my screen & I have another year in case something happens.

Thanks for the info!
Maybe not quite so awesome, my Macbook Pro has fairly severe problems, but when I called Apple support they denied the existence of the program. Since I have only heard of it from macrumors.com and other tech websites and their has been no official acknowledgement from Apple, I have no way to assert my rights to have this repaired.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I took my unit in yesterday and they mentioned that because it is out of warranty, Apple have a program for this issue. (the display would cost £418 and £24 labour)

Left it with them and today drove back 150 miles to collect it. The display they replaced is a deformed unit - 2-3mm gaps between the bottom case and lid, which is quite large on such a thin device.

Apple are refusing to do anything right now so I've sent pictures to the Executive who will "see if it is within spec with the engineers".

Quite possible they will say it's "fine" because it doesn't effect the performance (first question they asked) so I will probably be left with a nice display but bent display. That's after the Apple store said what great condition the 3 year old unit it overall and should bring a good re-sell value...

Last edited:

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Apple got back to be an said "a bent display is within spec. because it doesn't effect the performance"

My god they have changed in recent years.

I get there are tolerances, but this is 3mm on a ultra thin device. When closed the lid actually bounces (a lot more than it would with a straight display) giving extra caution to not put anything on top.

iliasp

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Greece
left mine on Thursday for battery replacement (790 cycles, 60% health after 3 years) which means the whole top case and screen replacement due to the stains (faint ones on the edges only but still with the fear of extending in larger areas) waiting to hear what they say, i hope they are gonna replace it ( had an lg screen when it was bought, replaced with sammy due to burn in and always had that yellow tint, lg was way better in color reproduction and temperature!)

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Took mine to the Apple Store yesterday. No questions asked they took it back and are fully replacing the display. Apple Care paid for itself yet again.

iliasp

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Greece
Got my mid 2012 rMBP today back from the service, top case was replaced along with the display, even though i had only minir marks they changed it no questions asked!

salvator

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
The displays that you guys got as a replacement, do they suffer from an uneven tint or backlight bleed etc?
One of my major concerns regarding a screen replacement is ending up with a puke yellow display.
As many claim that the displays apple use as replacements are far inferior than those that ship with the machines.

iliasp

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Greece
The displays that you guys got as a replacement, do they suffer from an uneven tint or backlight bleed etc?
One of my major concerns regarding a screen replacement is ending up with a puke yellow display.
As many claim that the displays apple use as replacements are far inferior than those that ship with the machines.
I have just noticed some minor light bleeding near the right top corner, it does not bother me that much but will let the service know at some point!
The irritating fact that i have 90 days warranty on a newly installed battery (top case to be exact) is what bothers me, why not a full year? Its a paid, fresh installed part!

salvator

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2015
I have just noticed some minor light bleeding near the right top corner, it does not bother me that much but will let the service know at some point!
The irritating fact that i have 90 days warranty on a newly installed battery (top case to be exact) is what bothers me, why not a full year? Its a paid, fresh installed part!
Light bleed is common and if it is minor it's not a big issue.
Does it suffer from a yellow tint or any unevenness?
Also what model number is your screen? A014 or A013?
All replaced parts come with 90days warranty but you shouldn't have any issue with it.

Last edited:

Aneef

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2015
Lahore, Pakistan
What if my 1 year warranty period has expired and I have no Apple Care. Would I still be eligible to get my screen replaced through this Screen Replacement Program?

Zeeshee

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
Guys
My macbook has this issue. Is there a link for this program? My warranty was over last month. How can i get my screen fixed?

Guys
My macbook has this issue. Is there a link for this program? My warranty was over last month. How can i get my screen fixed?
I normally speak to the online chat to ask basic question, if they recommend going into an apple store, i am sure to take a copy of the transcript. Thus if you talk to apple care online chat and mention the issue, if they agree that qualify for the replacement, then they wil recommend you go in to store.

Zeeshee

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2013
I normally speak to the online chat to ask basic question, if they recommend going into an apple store, i am sure to take a copy of the transcript. Thus if you talk to apple care online chat and mention the issue, if they agree that qualify for the replacement, then they wil recommend you go in to store.
Ok so I took it to Apple Store today and they said they will replace screen in quality program even though my laptop is out of warranty.

no-idea

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I visited my local Apple store about this issue, but all the guy did was check the Quality Program on his computer and didn't find any information about the service. How do get them to actually go forward with the repair? Is there some internal system they can check since it's not advertised publicly?

neigesdantan

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2015
today, at euroma 2 apple store in rome, italy, they denied the existence of this quality program and ruled out the possibility of a reparation/replacement free of charge outside of the standard european two years limited warranty.
I scheduled an appointment at the genius bar for an estimate of costs for a late 2013 macbook pro.
Anyone had a similar experience in europe?

iliasp

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Greece
When you show up with your defective screen they HAVE to write down a form that they have received your equipment and write down the complaints noting that the screen has wear off on the coating, after that its not in their responsibility to accept or deny your replacement, they cant just turn you down like this! My 2nd screen had coating issues, it was replaced like two weeks ago and now i am going for my 4th replacement due to light bleeding on the new panel! Thanx apple, my laptop is spending more time in service than being in my service :q

neigesdantan

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2015
When you show up with your defective screen they HAVE to write down a form that they have received your equipment and write down the complaints noting that the screen has wear off on the coating, after that its not in their responsibility to accept or deny your replacement, they cant just turn you down like this!

that was an informal conversation, the clerk did not even look at the screen. I have to wait until next thursday for the "genius".
thank you for the info and I'm sorry about your macbook. ten years ago I would never have believed to see such poor quality products from apple.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Update:

Apple replaced my laptop with a new unit! It took A LOT of time but it came down to the display not adhering to specification because a hard case would no longer fit the profile of the curved display. (A case Apple sell)

I'm down £80 in petrol costs and Apple said "Go to The retail ombudsman". I did and have rights to claim. Apple failed to respond to the ombudsman so I'm not sure what will happen next. Trading standard have already been informed of the case too.

Before anyone come in to say "Be grateful", Apple had no choice but to replace the unit after the display has been replaced already 3 times since ownership. They made me drive to the store again, when they could have just shipped one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.