Apple Launches Repair Program for Late 2013 Mac Pro Video Issues

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new Repair Extension Program that addresses video issues on some late 2013 mac pro models, according to an internal notice obtained by MacRumors.

Apple has determined that graphics cards in some late 2013 Mac Pros, manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015, may cause distorted video, no video, system instability, freezing, restarts, shut downs, or may prevent system start up.

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair eligible Mac Pro models affected by the video issues free of charge until May 30, 2018. Apple lists a turnaround time of about 3-5 days.

Apple says both graphics cards must be replaced on Mac Pros exhibiting any of the problems listed above. AMD's FirePro D500 (high-end model) and D700 (built-to-order) GPUs are affected. AMD's FirePro D300 GPU on the base Mac Pro is not listed.

Customers can book an appointment with the Genius Bar at an Apple Store or visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider to determine if their Mac Pro is eligible for coverage. Unlike Apple's voluntary recall of some international AC wall adapters last week, Apple is unlikely to publicly announce this repair program on its support website, but it may contact some customers directly.

A lengthy Apple Support Communities topic was posted about Mac Pro video issues in February 2015, and it has since amassed nearly 3,500 views and 50 replies from affected users. One customer claimed Apple agreed to replace his Mac Pro's graphics card after he contacted the company's support team about the issue.

Apple also launched a repair program for 2011-2013 MacBook Pros with video issues in February 2015.

Article Link: Apple Launches Repair Program for Late 2013 Mac Pro Video Issues
  2. nikko1423 macrumors member

Sep 12, 2012
  3. garirry macrumors 65816

Apr 27, 2013
    Poutine Queen Land
  4. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2012
    Ah, see. these symptoms are identical to the 2011 MacBook Pros GPU failures.

doesn't this prove that these new 'trash can' Mac "Pro"s are just as fallible as a system for intense use as the MBP's etc were? the towers clearly could take the stress.
  5. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

Jun 12, 2011
    Southern California/
    How long is this REP for? I purchased my Mac Pro literally within that window (and I have AppleCare). I just wanna know because GPUs have always been a problem for me in Apple's laptops.
  6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    So it doesn't just work. :p
  7. Joe Rossignol, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to confirm how long the REP lasts. So I would recommend contacting Apple soon.

EDIT: This REP runs until May 30, 2018.
  8. shareef777 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Waiting for Skylake MBP thread
    Just realized. Someone that drops $3k+ on a brand new Mac in 2016 can take it home, unbox it, boot it up and when they go to "About This Mac" it'll say LATE 2013.
  9. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2016
    Had a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina that had the video card issue. Ended up sending it back to the store 5 times before the rep gave up and gave me a full-spec'd rMBP 2015 model.

So good on Apple for approaching these situations like this, but it's disappointing how many models (11-13 for the MBP at least) have been affected, especially given how "premium" they're supposed to be in the first place.
  10. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

Jun 12, 2011
    Southern California/
    Yeah I just confirmed that my Mac Pro was made on the 6th week of 2015, aka 02/01/15 to 02/08/15. Very scary. I have noticed video issues before but I attributed it to a faulty Thunderbolt port (fixed last month) and my new monitor (went to 4k).

I can't even catch a break on these. I had 3 MBPs all die from GPU problems (2 would be under the other REP mentioned).
  11. JimmyHook macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2015
    It's good to know Apple addresses these issues unlike other companies who ignores users entirely. I appreciate their response
  12. TechZeke macrumors 68000

Jul 29, 2012
    It seems quite clear IMO why Apple is trying to get rid of dGPUs as fast as possible. It seems like every other iteration of Mac has dGPU issues. Apple must be sick of them. The route they took with the 4K iMacs makes me thing the next major MBP redesign won't have dGPUs at all.
  13. throAU macrumors 68040

Feb 13, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    No, its just as prone to hardware production fault. Given it has 2 GPUs rather than one, probably more so. This is not news.
  14. magbarn macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2008
    Well it's Apple's fault for making a 'pro machine' that was infinitely more upgradable and at the same time cools it's GPU's 1000x better into a damn trash can that's slowly cooking the dGPU's just like iMacs and MBP's!
  15. macs4nw macrumors 68040

Disappointing that such pricey professional products seem to be subject to the same defective component odds, or perhaps design flaws, as lower priced equipment. Somehow I expected better.
  16. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2007
    This is what happens when you manufacture things in America!!
  17. pat500000 macrumors 68040

Jun 3, 2015
    ANY news of GREAT NEWS....(breathing hard).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2016 ---
    I am not sure if made in America has anything to do with machine failure. I mean, take a look at foxconn. They made failure why does "made in America" have to be discriminated?
  18. gibbz macrumors 68030

May 31, 2007
    Apple just replaced my video cards in the nMP (via AppleCare). The system would often panic and shut down. Weirdly, it would almost always happen when launching iTunes. After the repair, all seems back to normal.
  19. iBug2 macrumors 68040

Jun 12, 2005
    I have taken my cheesegrater for repairs 3 times during its lifetime. So far my trashcan has not had a single issue yet.
  20. G-News macrumors member

Oct 2, 2013
    It's all down to being RohS compliant. These gpu problems started to come up after they stopped using lead in the solder. With the RohS compliant tin solders, they just start to disintegrate after a series of hot/cold cycles and the solder cracks, leading to these problems. It'd frankly be a lot more environmentally friendly if they went back to using lead/tin blends instead of replacing the chip 5 times.
  21. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2007
    Derbyshire, England
    The Apple (Dustbin) Hoffman symbolised the end of thr.glory years. But still attempted innovstion by making itself literally recyclable. When it packed in due to overheating design issues because it looks like a trashcan you don't have to dispose of it. Because it can still be used. As a trashcan. Nown that's what I call forward thinking! :cool:
  22. wozmatic macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2014
    hahah damn that's cold. Now where's those Skylake MacBooks at? Holler at me Jony
  23. MH01 macrumors G3

Feb 11, 2008
    Are the AMD cards made in the US?
  24. DFierce macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2011
    From 2013?! I'm waiting on the refresh before I change to a trash can Mac Pro, but that's sad to see this is only just now getting addressed. :(