Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
You are assuming that (some/most/all) these problems are caused by the new solder. For that fraction of problems that were, perhaps they are just teething problems, and, those problems have been solved?

But, I fail to see how you can blame solder for inadequate cooling engendered by a desire for excessive thinness and some particular aesthetic look? Perhaps Apple needs to point some of its engineering resources towards doing some cooling analysis aerodynamics?

Both.

http://www.ecnmag.com/article/2011/12/was-lead-free-solder-worth-effort

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Well, dare I say it, I think there should be some kind of exemption to the lead-free solder requirement if the device was designed to last 5-10 years. I do think it's dumb to get rid of it entirely, because then you'll have people throwing phones in the garbage that contain lead. *shrug*

Anyway, I don't think this is a big deal.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Just realized. Someone that drops $3k+ on a brand new Mac in 2016 can take it home, unbox it, boot it up and when they go to "About This Mac" it'll say LATE 2013.

And even worse. Lacking upgrade options, it WILL BE a machine from 2013.

Reactions: pat500000

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Look. You can setup a raid via terminal, and you can use 3rd party software to monitor it, or as you say hack, the point is, functionality was removed from El Capitan, and that was the ability to setup up and monitor raid via disk utility, something we have had over 6 years.

Let's not endorse hacking to Justify the current situation.
Yeah, I was trying to be helpful. You were saying the OS won't support RAID, but it's just that they removed the easiest tool to manage it. Believe me, I've been very annoyed with Apple doing things like this for so long. I also think the company is totally going down the toilet.
[doublepost=1454920175][/doublepost]
Disappointing that such pricey professional products seem to be subject to the same defective component odds, or perhaps design flaws, as lower priced equipment. Somehow I expected better.
The 2009 MPs had some notorious issue with the northbridge chip overheating due to poor contact with a heatsink. My friend's friend threw away a defective '09 MP, and it eventually changed hands to my brother, who fixed it. Crazy that such nice hardware was rendered useless because of a stupid problem like that.

Last edited:

Reticuli

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2014
Northern Ireland
Because no one wants to upgrade the GPU, use existing PCIe cards, or install large-capacity hard drives, without expensive and bulky external enclosures. Is that your reasoning?

I think the trash can design has its strengths, but I won't agree there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, especially while my 9-year-old Mac Pro sits here with 1 SSD, 4 HDDs, 2 ODDs all inside the case and out of the way.

If only Apple would sell it alongside the tower design like they did with the G4 Cube. But it would probably fail for the same reasons the Cube did...

It's never going to happen.
I can see where you're coming from, the tower format is a lot more upgradeable and flexible. That however is not the direction in which Apple is headed.

Everyone doing all this gurning about it is just pissing into the wind. In the meantime people will continue to hand extortionate amounts of cash to companies like CreatePro who sell on refurbished obsolete hardware just because it happens to come in a bigger box. Apple will keep on doing what they're doing.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah, I was trying to be helpful. You were saying the OS won't support RAID, but it's just that they removed the easiest tool to manage it. Believe me, I've been very annoyed with Apple doing things like this for so long. I also think the company is totally going down the toilet.

I should have worded it better. I was very surprised when the GUI management was removed. I'm not liking this future of glued macs, in a way they are pushing me back to PCs cause I like to tinker, and pre glued generation gave me enough ability to upgrade my macs that I was really happy.

though behind all this, OS X has become a markerting stunt , from an OS that was super stable to early updates/gimmicks/bugs. And the disk utility is a consequence of unessessary updates that markerting is pushing and Dev cannot deliver in time, features get cut.
[doublepost=1454925500][/doublepost]
And even worse. Lacking upgrade options, it WILL BE a machine from 2013.

When it shipped , it was using GPUs from 2011. In The PC world a 7970 is ancient. I had hoped apple would have had upgrade options for those GPUs.

It's crazy to be asked to pay $1000 to upgrade from an under clocked 7970 to almost a fully clocked 7970 in 2016, for that price you are getting 2x980s.

In a way I wish they ditched the silly can design, so users could upgrade thier GPUs.

Defoler

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2014
When it shipped , it was using GPUs from 2011. In The PC world a 7970 is ancient. I had hoped apple would have had upgrade options for those GPUs.

It's crazy to be asked to pay $1000 to upgrade from an under clocked 7970 to almost a fully clocked 7970 in 2016, for that price you are getting 2x980s.

In a way I wish they ditched the silly can design, so users could upgrade thier GPUs.[/QUOTE]

The D300/D500/D700 are not a 7970 comparable GPU.
They are compute GPUs. And in terms of performance, they are comparably cheaper and perform pretty similar to their desktop counterparts even in today standards. From dual D300 which are the basic to a dual D700 and adding just 1000$ is relatively cheap compared to a full desktop version which cost almost 3 times as much.

Yes, the mac pro hadn't been updated much. But price relative wise, there is no reason for a mac pro buyer who bought it 2-2.5 years ago, to upgrade now (and people still rocking the G5 or older versions, if the performance is what works for you, there is no reason to upgrade anyway). Once AMD (or nvidia) can supply them with a worthy successor replacement graphics card, and intel provide them with a good upgrade, apple will bring a new one.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

In a way I wish they ditched the silly can design, so users could upgrade thier GPUs.

People are married to OSX and cannot use anything else. They can only buy what Apple provides them. But what Apple provides them is a limited amount of options at a very high price.

Someone in this thread mentioned spending $6000 on a Mac Pro.

Can you imagine what kind of Windows PC you could buy or build for that price?

I'm sure the 12-core Mac Pro is a beast though. Xeon processors, ECC RAM, etc. If you need that kind of power on OSX... knock yourself out.

But like you said... the graphics were slow when it was introduced... and there is ZERO upgrade path. Oh... and problems like these.

That's not what should happen with a professional machine that should last for years and years.

Even if a comparable Dell workstation cost a little more than a Mac Pro... you could swap out a broken video card yourself.

Ah the benefits of standardized parts :)

Roykor

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
The problem stands in the circular form factor.
They struggle to figure out which side make thinner

That haves to wait. Get in line.. focus is now on the iPhone 7 launch. After that the iWatch 2 and aft that the iPhone 7s and iPad pro 2. I think in 2017 we will see an update in the Mac Pro line, if were are lucky. But i can not promise that an iPhone 8 launch may trouble an Mac Pro update

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's rather sad that Apple has allowed the Mac Pro to become so dated, but I think part of the reason has been suppliers... AMD and Intel. Have they provided adequate upgraded processors since 2013? Intel, for sure, fell behind on their processor roadmap, so that may be a contributing factor. But I think an interim refresh may have been worthwhile for Apple to save face, at least.

The Haswell procs have been available since late 2014.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

aeryk71

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
So what is one supposed to do if my D300's have been exhibiting this freezing behavior?

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

Possibly overdue, but it's nice to read about these repair programs. Especially if one needs it and I imagine Apple has to go through its own bureaucracy to determine the need. Regardless of core reason and there are many variables, Apple is standing behind its product - Tim Cook has been above average with starting these repair extension programs. Honestly, kudos to him and Apple for stepping up like this.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's rather sad that Apple has allowed the Mac Pro to become so dated, but I think part of the reason has been suppliers... AMD and Intel. Have they provided adequate upgraded processors since 2013? Intel, for sure, fell behind on their processor roadmap, so that may be a contributing factor. But I think an interim refresh may have been worthwhile for Apple to save face, at least.

I actually expect Apple to announce that they are moving production to either China, or Korea, mumbling something about 'labor costs', and then they will update them and everyone will forget that Apple at one point wanted to bring more production 'Back To The USA'...

Updated components have existed for quite a while since those used...

teagls

macrumors regular
May 16, 2013
FYI I talked to Apple Support about this program. Since I am having similar issues. They stated to me that if your Mac Pro falls outside the manufacture date and is consistent with these issues. It is still applicable for the program.

Reactions: milo and citysnaps

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I actually expect Apple to announce that they are moving production to either China, or Korea, mumbling something about 'labor costs', and then they will update them and everyone will forget that Apple at one point wanted to bring more production 'Back To The USA'...

Updated components have existed for quite a while since those used...

I would be surprised if that happens. The MacPro represents a tiny sliver of Apple's overall revenue - it's a low volume computer, a niche. And, due to it's design, very easy to assemble. Off-shore contract manufacturing makes the most sense for super high volume products, such as phones.

Reactions: milo

Moustache

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
Toronto
Just went back from visiting the geniuses. Official Apple store in Toronto is denying this repair program, never heard from it... I personally have video issues since the beginning, and this from march 2014... My Macro (6cores and D700) is still a nice piece of furniture, just wish they'll change the cards, maybe this time is the right one.
But at the moment they never heard anything from Apple about this repair program...
I also visited a premium repair center this morning and the same, they didn't receive any communication about this from Apple.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Possibly overdue, but it's nice to read about these repair programs. Especially if one needs it and I imagine Apple has to go through its own bureaucracy to determine the need. Regardless of core reason and there are many variables, Apple is standing behind its product - Tim Cook has been above average with starting these repair extension programs. Honestly, kudos to him and Apple for stepping up like this.
I’m a little more cynical and pessimistic. See, MR used this statement;
Apple has determined that graphics cards in some late 2013 Mac Pros, manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015, may cause distorted video, no video, system instability, freezing, restarts, shut downs, or may prevent system start up.
I read that as;
Users have determined that graphics cards in some late 2013 Mac Pros, manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015, may cause distorted video, no video, system instability, freezing, restarts, shut downs, or may prevent system start up. Apple have admitted that the above is true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.