Apple Launches WebApps Directory

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by Sean7512, Oct 11, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
  2. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001
    Apple Launches WebApps Directory

Apple has launched a directory of web-based applications designed for the iPhone and iPod Touch at

Applications are divided into a number of categories, including Calculate, Entertainment, Games, News, Productivity, Search Tools, Social Networking, Sports, Travel, Utilities, and Weather. Developers are invited to submit their own applications for inclusion in the directory.

Despite rumors of expanding application development options from Apple, the launch of this directory appears to underscore Apple's commitment to web-based applications.

MacRumors readers can visit for an iPhone/iPod Touch friendly browsing experience.

Article Link
  3. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2004
    San Diego, CA
  4. macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
  5. macrumors 6502a

Nov 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Unscore? Underscore maybe?
  6. macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast
    Sure makes 3rd party apps seem less likely...
  7. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    oh well. I'm going to hang on to some hope that Leopard will expose the ability for more sophisticated apps, and those that are proficient with HTML/jQuery/etc can just go on down this "you gotta be connected to the internet" path.

edit: not even a special version for the iPhone. Has to be the "full" apple page, though I guess that's what they've been promoting.

edit2: the Weatherbug app is an excellent example of a "webapp". Maybe better than WeatherUnderground's??
  8. macrumors 604

Jul 10, 2007
    Wish it was more iPhone friendly. And the RSS feed doesn't open the actual apps when you click on one.
  9. macrumors member

Nov 14, 2006
    Strange... no IM apps?

Apple seems to have left off the Instant Messaging apps deliberately, I wonder if their contract with AT&T prohibits the iPhone from having an IM app? Otherwise we'd have iChat by now, since it's a fairly easy app to code...

I hope I'm wrong.
  10. macrumors member

Jun 9, 2006
    ditto. guess ill stick with appleopolis
  11. macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    This Directory Will Sell The Hardware

Super cool. I love this way of finding stuff.
  12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2005
    Or possibly it implies that there is no need for them, since Apple is readying iChat for the iPhone :rolleyes: I could only wish...
  13. macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    does that mean i have to find a starbucks, pay $10 and log in before i can use a calculator on the iPod touch? and i can't read my notes unless i'm logged in to the internet?

they urgently need to allow this programs to be used offline. you just burn batteries if you use them online. and that is a problem even for the iphone. with the ipod tough you're lucky to have connection at all. i don't like that concept of applications that are ONLY on the web.

aside of that they are cool.
  14. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    no, it isn't.
  15. macrumors 6502

Dec 20, 2006
    Isn't it possible to use webmessenger or the aim exquivalent then on the iphone ?
  16. macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2003
    So it's a bunch of website addresses? Errr...

Ok, it's a start, but I don't get reception everywhere. Downloadable, installable apps, please. Thank you.

Although weatherbug is pretty cool... :cool:
  17. macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2007
  18. macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Jul 12, 2006
    At least it's easier to find iPhone sites now. I wonder if the IM ones are on there or if Apple have really sold out to AT&T.
  19. macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2007
    this would be great if you could use the apps offline, but what the point if you HAVE to be connected to the internet???????!
  20. macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Not bad, keep people going until the SDK has to come out.

Now add a google gears style off-line webapp layer and I might be slightly impressed.
  21. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2007
    Nothing special IMO. I am curious about why they left off all the IM sites. Why must everything be a secret with Apple?
  22. macrumors member

Jun 28, 2007
    my sentiments exactly. what's the point of having these "apps" if you can only access them via the web? they're literally useless if you have no EDGE or WiFi connection.

i think many of these web apps are great and they'd be AWESOME if they could actually be installed without hacking the iphone or ipod touch.

although i do have to say it's a step in the right direction to have people developing web apps, but not quite there yet.

if/when a SDK is released, then will most people be happy/satisfied (i think).
  23. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I'm fine with having all add-on apps be based on HTML/CSS/JavaScript/etc. (hopefully including Flash one day). Look at Dashboard widgets, many of which offer massive functionality based on those same technologies.

I would need a way to store those apps locally on the phone, NOT dependent on any network connection.

Preferably accessible separate from Safari, without browser controls.

Then the experience can be complete, and the difference vs. "real" executable apps would be largely academic. Remember, conventional Mac binaries will never run on an iPhone since iPhones use ARM processors instead of Intel or PPC. Until/unless iPhones use an Intel chip, iPhone apps will always be separate from Mac apps--as they should be, since the UI is different.

(I know there will always be some things that a binary executable can do better/faster, but I expect additional Apple-authorized apps to be coming anyway.)

If there are are security/stability benefits to NOT having random 3rd-party binaries on the iPhone (I'm reminded of all the stories of other phones crashing due to bad apps) then I'm OK with Apple choosing this route.

If real binaries and real dev tools can be done well and safely in future, then all the better! But I don't see how that could be possible yet: the iPhone OS is still young and in flux, and presents a moving target that is bound to cause problems for both developers and users. Apple-supported dev tools don't make sense until the platform settles down. Meanwhile, HTML/JavaScript/etc. provide a platform that can be counted on, and is easy to develop for. And which makes use of multitouch scroll and zoom, too.
  24. macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2007
    South Florida
  25. macrumors 68000

Jun 24, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    98% of the time I have an internet connection - that being said only about 80% of the time is it a good one. Edge is spotty - even here in Southern California.

Places I have had problems with EDGE:

On Planes
    Road Trips
    Hospitals (not supposed to use phone in exam rooms etc)
    Parking Garages
    Some older buildings

Im sure there are lots of places that unfortunately make Apple's plan of web apps not 100% feasible.

All that being said Im glad they made the directory - its something I will use and most likely use a lot.