Apple Launching 'iOS In The Car' Next Week With Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 28, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nearly a year after it was announced, Apple appears ready to introduce launch partners for its "iOS in the Car" initiative, according to a report in the Financial Times. The piece claims Volvo, Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari -- where Apple Senior Vice President Eddy Cue is a board member -- will be Apple's initial partners.

Though it does not mention iOS in the Car by name, the article claims drivers will be able to use Apple Maps for navigation on the car's in-dash screen, as well as watch movies, listen to music, make calls and send text messages through the system with full Siri integration.

The FT says the announcement will be made at the Geneva Motor Show next week, one of the premier motor shows on the calendar.

[​IMG]
    Apple executives have said in the past that iOS in the Car is "very important" to the company and is an essential "part of the ecosystem". At it's WWDC keynote last year, Apple claimed it was working with a number of partners including Honda, Nissan, Chevrolet, Hyundai, and more, in addition to Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes. It was reported earlier this year that iOS in the Car had been plagued by organizational issues but, if the FT report is accurate, it would appear the project is quickly moving towards a public launch.

Article Link: Apple Launching 'iOS In The Car' Next Week With Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

Not surprised to hear this one!!! Bravo!!! 

3. macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

4. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I hope that BMW follows soon. They are one of the initial auto companies under the initiative.

5. macrumors 6502a

Drivers will be able to use Maps in the car. Are they sure that's a feature they want to tout? :rolleyes:

6. macrumors regular

7. macrumors 6502

Great. Now we won't just have Volvo drivers, we'll have Volvo drivers using Apple Maps.

8. Guest

Sky Blue

9. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

10. macrumors 65816

Four oF NINE

11. macrumors 6502a

Lepton

Finally! I'm waiting for info on what it takes to make my speaking newsreader app NewsBrain into a top notch iOS in the Car app. Need info and the iOS in the Car simulator. Maybe Tuesday..

12. macrumors 6502a

Nevaborn

Aftermarket head units are needed for this to work. Bundling it with a new Ferrari aint going to be a big earner.

13. macrumors 6502

I have the limited edition lightweight LaFerrari that strips away all the non essential electronics to save weight for the ultimate performance. By leaving my iOS devices at home, I shave .000000003 off my 0-60 MPH times :D

14. macrumors regular

This will be great in my next Ferrari. Oh, wait....

15. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

Woohoo! Since Mercedes is on board, perhaps I'll eventually have that option for my little Smart car!

16. macrumors regular

I would consider paying quite a bit of money (well, more than the $80 I spent o my last head unit) for a head unit that actually made my phone usable in the car. My current unit plays music via bluetooth just fine, but I can't get the built-in mic to work, and so Siri is pretty much useless.

17. macrumors P6

Starting to seem like that might be the case.

18. macrumors regular

Every cars' software (user facing) has been terrible. From the beginning of time. Tesla finally has something half-way decent. iOS in the car is good for the industry and helps cars differentiate themselves. Great move. Hope it works super well and they start to expose things like Siri to other apps, etc.

19. macrumors 68020

MICHAELSD

Great to know they only chose cars I can afford.

20. macrumors 603

Rocketman

21. macrumors 6502a

Lepton

I think an iPad Mini would make a pretty good head unit for this - with the right mounting kits.. I hope they make that possible.

22. macrumors 68020

Finally a good reason for me to pull the trigger on a Ferrari. (!)

23. macrumors regular

Will drivers be required to physically have their iOS device in their pocket (in the case of iPhone) or car (in the case of iPad) in order for this system to work? Or will the car's onboard computer host a version of iOS?

24. macrumors 6502a

25. macrumors 65816

Yeah does this mean we are FINALLY gonna get 7.1 to the public?