apple lcd monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Angelus, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Angelus macrumors 6502

hey i was thinking that maybe you guys could help me out. im thinking of buying an lcd monitor but im not sure which brand to get. i know that the apple monitors are pure class but im wondering if they r getting a bit long in the tooth. im looking at the 17" but thats over a year old now and ive read on some websites that the "lightning fast" pixel response is really around 30-40 ms. does any one know if an upgrade is due?also which is the better monitor in terms of pixel response+quality,the formac gallery 1740 r the apple 17" studio?

2. boobers macrumors regular

i love this mon

I have the 17inch apple lcd and lemme tell ya its the bomb
    it will never hurt your eyes...and for someone who spends alot of time exposed to a monitor, LCD is the way to go
    as for the Formac monitor..well its pretty damn nice as well..its bigger and cheaper too..if they would have come out a month sooner i would be looking at that mon right now..but hey i'm not complaining cos this one is so damn nice.
    cheers
    boobers

3. Angelus thread starter macrumors 6502

wats it like for displaying video and playing the odd game.il b dabbling wit gaming a small bit.

4. boobers macrumors regular

...gaming

i've been playing UT and Q3 alot in it...kicking alotta ass as well
    and i see no difference between it and the CRT's for displaying games
    works great i tell ya i only wish i had a geFOrce Ti to make it all go better instead of the stock 32 geforce2

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Check out what ViewSonic has to offer as well. I picked up their VG175 (a 17.4" LCD) and it is sweeeeet. Very bright, great contrast, not only does it twist on the base, but the entire unit can be used in either landscape OR portrait mode. It has excellent on screen controls as well as dual video input (supportting two systems at one time, allowing you to switch between two computers). You can also wall mount it if you like, or use the option to clamp it to the desk on an arm.

The only thing that I would like with the ViewSonic unit, is if I had it in the black enclosure. :D Otherwise, no complaints at all, and I am VERY picky about my hardware. If it's not perfect, I call them on it. That is why I used the Applecare protection on my TiBook, and sent it in a total of three times, before it was fixed to my satisfaction.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Thats pretty cool. i think the iMac could really use a feature like that. with the arm moving around and everything it would be cool to rotate the screen about the center and view it in a portrait mode. It would make viewing webpages a lot more friendly (all that vertical space). How does your ViewSonic rotate? you said it twists at the base, can you expand on this? maybe a picture woudl help.

7. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

I guess that that could be the next upgrade for the LCD iMac.

100! another 400 and i can start using avatars!!:cool:

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The screen turns at the base, can go up and down with the base, but the screen actually pivots where it connects to the base. I am sure that there are pictures of it on ViewSonic's web site. The model is the VG175.

9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Princeton Graphics

I think princeton has pretty nice LCDs. We got the Senergy 850 for only 549 dollars (connections :)) and it is friggin great!

10. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I remember Woz saying he used the ViewSonic durring an interview on "The Screen Savers." Anyone else remember this?

11. iflyguns macrumors newbie

Along these same lines, does anyone know if Apple has changed the newer flat panel displays to match the newer PowerMac G4's? Specifically, does the graphite bezel match the face of the Quicksilver Macs, or does it still match the color of the older G4's?

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I believe that they have. Check them out either at the online Apple store, or a retail Apple store close to you. I think that was one of the items mentioned when the screens were updated. Personally, it doesn't matter that much to me what the case looks like, as long as the quality of the screen is up there.