Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
After all my worrying about the 6S+ being laggy (it's not) or too heavy (barely notice) of all things, I open my new black leather apple 6s+ case and it sucks! I LOVED the 5S and 6 Versions but this particular 6s+ version I have is slippery, its so smooth, there's no leather texture, it's like vinyl. Even the little apple indent (which I like to rest my index finger on) is smooth.

Luckily I still have my 6+ leather case (which doesn't fit PERFECTLY, the lock button is a little off but I can live with it).

Rant off.

Voodoofreak

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2012
After all my worrying about the 6S+ being laggy (it's not) or too heavy (barely notice) of all things, I open my new black leather apple 6s+ case and it sucks! I LOVED the 5S and 6 Versions but this particular 6s+ version I have is slippery, its so smooth, there's no leather texture, it's like vinyl. Even the little apple indent (which I like to rest my index finger on) is smooth.

Luckily I still have my 6+ leather case (which doesn't fit PERFECTLY, the lock button is a little off but I can live with it).

Rant off.

100% agree with you. I love my 5s leather case compared to the 6s plus one. Not sure how long it will take me to get used to it though.

4ubrey

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I had the leather one for my 6 and I found the sticky leather feeling was a little annoying, got the 6S+ today and the leather case and enjoyed the smoother / clean feeling leather.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I don't understand how I'm the only person in the world who thinks the leather cases from Apple are joke. No more than a month went by and my red leather case I got for the six last year was destroyed by my jeans. It looked so dirty and awful but it was just the materials rubbing against each other, not actual dirt.

Reactions: Blueline29

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The lock button is off? That's strange. Either you're way more sensitive to slight changes or, I don't know what lol. I'm using my brown 6 plus case because I saw no reason to upgrade and it feels exactly the same as it did on my 6 plus.

I don't understand how I'm the only person in the world who thinks the leather cases from Apple are joke. No more than a month went by and my red leather case I got for the six last year was destroyed by my jeans. It looked so dirty and awful but it was just the materials rubbing against each other, not actual dirt.
Leather weathers this way. If the case isndiscoloring from your jeans, your jeans are bleeding onto it. I agree the cases look like hell after a few months, but after another few months there's a nice patina and it does look like weathered leather. Some colors don't lend themselves to this as well as others. With the 5s I got the green leather and that just looked like hell within weeks. It never really got better. My dark brown case looks fantastic imo. Matches my leather wallet that my wife got me about six years ago now. But I like the look of well weathered leather.

Last edited by a moderator:

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Leather weathers this way. If the case isndiscoloring from your jeans, your jeans are bleeding onto it. I agree the cases look like hell after a few months, but after another few months there's a nice patina and it does look like weathered leather. Some colors don't lend themselves to this as well as others. With the 5s I got the green leather and that just looked like hell within weeks. It never really got better. My dark brown case looks fantastic imo. Matches my leather wallet that my wife got me about six years ago now. But I like the look of well weathered leather.

Stolen from Reddit, but this is similar to what mine looked like, except on the back and everywhere else. It happened so quickly, too. To me this doesn't look aged, it looks moldy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,484

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Stolen from Reddit, but this is similar to what mine looked like, except on the back and everywhere else. It happened so quickly, too. To me this doesn't look aged, it looks moldy.
That does look pretty awful. But that looks like a really fresh case to me. The shape of the phone lends it to getting darker in that area much more quickly. I truly don't the no it has to do with the quality of the case or leather. It's just the way things work out. I'm confident we could find some red cases that look pretty decent with age. If you like, I can take a pic of my brown case tomorrow and post it here. I think it looks great. A large part of why I kept the case on is because I don't want to go through the aging process again. Of course, it's also still a perfectly functional. Case

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011

Rant off.
Totally agree.

I still love the black leather case I've had on my silver 6 plus for a year now. My wife just got the 6S today and bought several combinations of leather and Silicone cases to try. The leather cases this year feel more like vinyl to me....no texture and very slippery. The Leather cases for the iPhone 6 line had a nice grippy feel and some leather texture. My wife went with the Silicone.

Reactions: MikesGravity

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I don't understand how I'm the only person in the world who thinks the leather cases from Apple are joke.I had one last year, and I agree, the leather cases from apple are a joke.
I had one last year, and I agree, the leather cases from apple are a joke. They are made with hard plastic and added a tiny layer of leather on it. Once it breaks you see the plastic underneath. I'm back to a full leather sleeve now and I love it :)

happycadaver

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2012
Germany
My brown leather case is still in mint condition after 1 year of heavy use. I got my 6s yesterday and i will continue using it with this case. Fits perfectly.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
My 6 Plus case (black) has worn fine, I could see how a lighter color wouldn't though. The new cases just aren't the same and I think apple tried to hide that fact by putting them in enclosed boxes rather than see-thru like the old one's.

I might be sensitive to change but my lock button just doesn't sit the same as it did on my 6+

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Okay, so what's the deal with the leather? It just lacks any feel of "luxury". There's no texture, there's no softness and there seems to be a lot of color inconsistency between cases of the same shade.

I'm not complaining too much because I still prefer this due to the thinness but compared to last year then this was definitely a step down. And that's just weird.

Last edited:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
My 6 Plus case (black) has worn fine, I could see how a lighter color wouldn't though. The new cases just aren't the same and I think apple tried to hide that fact by putting them in enclosed boxes rather than see-thru like the old one's.

I might be sensitive to change but my lock button just doesn't sit the same as it did on my 6+
Do you find the case to be slippery ,mine is

zombietookabite

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Hi everyone! I agree that the leather 6s cases this year are extremely slippery and lacked that textured feel of the 6 cases. However I think I found a solution. Apply some leather conditioner to the case and it should add some grip and texture. I used some Bayes high performance leather upholstery cleaner/conditioner and it has made a world of difference on my rose gray leather case.

image.jpeg

Illmaculate

macrumors member
May 19, 2015
Hi everyone! I agree that the leather 6s cases this year are extremely slippery and lacked that textured feel of the 6 cases. However I think I found a solution. Apply some leather conditioner to the case and it should add some grip and texture. I used some Bayes high performance leather upholstery cleaner/conditioner and it has made a world of difference on my rose gray leather case.

View attachment 587557
Did it darken the color of your case at all after applying it? I have a cream conditioner not sure if that's safe compared to a liquid one.

zombietookabite

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Did it darken the color of your case at all after applying it? I have a cream conditioner not sure if that's safe compared to a liquid one.

There was some darkness initially due to the moisture but it dries back to normal quickly. Just rubbing with a cloth seemed to speed up that process.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2011

Rant off.

I bought a Mujjo Case and I think it's the best.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
To be fair, my Vaja case weathered similarly (though the areas of wear were much smaller). The corners just look dirty, though it's not dirt; it's discoloration. Ugh.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I love the patina look on the brown colors as I have the saddle brown and wanted to see how it gets grippier and brings in a darker look to it.

It was a lot more orange for my liking when I unboxed it but going to give it a try and also pick up a midnight blue to switch every now and again.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I'm getting very tempted to return my new 6s plus leather case. I just don't see how the grip can improve that much. My old midnight blue has a completely different feel to it, and even when I first got it, it never had this kind of vinyl/slippery feel to it. Not sure what they did to the coating on these exactly, but they definitely changed something.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Strange, I saw this on ebay, which has a much bigger structure than mine, they seem to be made of different leather.

Anyway, the back is only a good 1mm thick including the microfiber, that can't be real leather, can it? Although I must admit the touch, while too smooth is very pleasant. But it looks like I need to change to a Vaja for real leathery look & feel, the Apple case while maybe made of natural material just looks too perfect.

$_57.JPG

Reactions: Linusniaocun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.