Apple Legal going too far?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macfreak, Jun 10, 2003.

1. macfreak macrumors newbie

I respect Apple's wish not to have certain product information leaking out everywhere, but I think their latest moves are a bit overboard. Is Apple really going to be hurt by a few vague details posted at one or two mac rumor sites? Then again, Steve Jobs has always been somewhat of a control freak (as we know from "Pirates of Silicon Valley", which was confirmed as very accurate by Woz himself)

2. Jesus on OSX macrumors member

this trend will only raise the popularity (in terms of frequency of visits) to Apple rumor sites, since their Legal dept's selective request to pull information from the sites is somewhat indicative of what they got correct or not.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

does it really matter, there is probably a good reason they pull some stuff. really doesnt matter if they go to far, they can do what ever they want.

iJon

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Re: Apple Legal going too far?

When rumors make ot to the mainstream media (which they have been doing quite often lately), sales of current models tank. That's the best reason I can come up with.

Regards,
    Gus

5. pEZ macrumors 6502

I agree that when they cause a commotion amongst the rumors sites, all they do is draw attention to it, that there IS something to hide. It also kind of colors the rumors, like the ones that they DON'T pull are probably a little more wrong.

6. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

are there any patterns to apple legal's history?
    ie they have stories pulled when they are false or they have them pulled when they are too close to what's actually happening or are they all over the place just to totally confuse us?

7. jasonhr macrumors newbie

everything they've pulled has been pretty much real.

some will claim the spymac iwalk was "pulled" - but it was not. they did get an email (?fake), but it was not a cease and desist.

8. synthetickittie macrumors regular

I would also think that like in this case they MIGHT of wanted the stuff pulled because they are NOT true and they dont want people getting their hopes up. Because you know A LOT of people are gonna be pretty upset if they dont come out with 970s in something at the end of this month. WAY to many have their hopes pretty high right now based on nothing but rummors. Now Im not saying this deffinitly isnt going to happen (970s) Im just saying people are taking rumors as facts right now (not everyone but a lot)

9. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

who started it?

what i would like to know is where the 970 rumor actually started? and did it just spread from one rumor site to another or did different sites with different "sources" stumble on this each on their own?

i came in on the rumor-site-viewing scene after these rumors had already surfaced, but everyone has been talking so much that my question is when and how much 970 we will get--not will we get it. am i alone in this?

*surely* the 970 will be in apple computers. with all of this hype, they have to. in fact, maybe stevie will use the 970 just cuz the rumor sites mentioned it. can't you just see Him, surfing the net on His 10" NeXT laptop, coming across macrumors... "hey, that's not a bad idea! not a bad idea at all! hey moto, take your g5 and stick it where the apples don't grow!"

10. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

The 970 rumors began shortly before October's microporocessing forum in which IBM announced the PPC 970 as a scaled down version of the Power 4 chip. They mentioned that it could find applications in desktop systems, and then later it was "discovered" that it utilized a version of AltiVec. From there, the rumors kind of festered into fact.

Regards,
    Gus

P.S. They may or may not end up in Macs, but please, don't call me shirley. :)

11. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Apple likes to suprise you.
    Sometimes they can, how many people saw a Browser coming?

They use Apple legal to make sure everything is tucked in under wraps.

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

anyone who can read the word 'rumor'

13. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Leo Laporte on TechTv told someone to wait until after WWDC to buy a powerbook. To me, that is hitting the mainstream media.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's just guessing too...