Apple Legal Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drumpat01, Mar 9, 2006.

1. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Many of you know the web page AndrewEscobar.com hosted a way to put Front Row on nearly any mac by using a program he created called Front Row Enabler. Today I went back to his page and found that he had been served by Apple Legal. I think its safe to say we all saw it coming but it was really cool for a while.

PS, the title was suppose to read. Apple Legal Strikes Again but i couldn't go back to change it.

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

You won't get help for that here, that's illegal. Note the fact that Apple LEGAL made him take it down.

This thread needs to be sent to the wasteland. Everyone needs to shutup with the ILLEGAL HACKS.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

you can talk about illegal hacks. you just can't distribute them.

arn

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

...And any post that uses a font size above 5 should be deleted

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Judging by all of the people on these forums with problems caused by that hack, it's probably a good thing...

6. portent macrumors 6502a

The message on his page said

7. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

If I had a nickel for every time you made a comment similar to this regarding Front Row, I'd have a new Intel iMac. Front Row is an exciting new feature on OS X which a majority of users have no access to without the Enabler. I, personally, have no problem making it run on a machine that didn't come with it. It's not as if people are stealing what they would otherwise have to buy; Front Row isn't for sale. At the same time, I have no problem with Apple putting a stop to it. Getting so worked up over this minor "illegal" hack is really obnoxious. I also drive at 5-10 mph over the speed limit. :eek:

I had the issue with the Front Row update, but eventually discovered that the fix is simply replacing three files in system/library.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Frontrow is for sale, you just can't buy it without a computer. So by putting Frontrow on a 'non-frontrow' mac, you are stealing something that you would otherwise have to buy.

9. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Front Row Enabler can still be found on the Internet. I am not promoting piracy here in any way just making a statement.

10. hookahco macrumors regular

front row is/always was the intellectual property of Apple Computers, INC. they do have the right to serve a cease and desist notice to that site.
    regardless, id love to have front row on my PowerMac G4.

11. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

Yeah..

12. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Is Front Row really that great? Just use the regular OS interface. Front Row is rather simple for what I'd like to do.

13. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Just because it's named Apple LEGAL doesn't mean that they're always right. However, in this case they might be, even though I'm recently getting more and more pissed by companies who artificially prevent that their Software runs on all computers, even if technically it would be no problem. Microsoft doesn't support EFI in Vista because it might make Macintosh computers more attractive for switchers, Apple prevents Front Row from running on their own computers...

14. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yeah. That would be like buying a BMW because you like the radio that comes with it...

15. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

And also by putting Front Row on a non-Front Row Mac doesn't guarantee that the software will run well, either. There's a thread around here somewhere where someone put it on a Cube. That thing's not going to run it well.

16. NWAMacTech macrumors member

You need to chill, seriously!

17. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Why would microsoft care about switchers? It doesn't make or sell computers - It sells software. If you put Vista on a mac you've bought microsoft software to do it (if you're a good boy/girl). Microsoft doesn't care what you run their stuff on as long as you pay for it.

18. Aramis macrumors member

Aramis

I think this was posted to the wrong thread :confused: .

19. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

honestly, or banned.

20. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

the original imac's it came with couldn't run it well either, but that didn't stop Apple.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't think anybody is questioning whether or not Apple has the legal right to protect it's copyrights.

Questioning that itself would be stupid.

I do think hacking front row to work on any Mac is a pretty minor issue though. I can understand shutting down sites that distribute the Front Row hack. But other cases, like shutting down fan sites because they have keynotes or commercials, or the Apple logo (even the ones that say they're not associated with Apple) are what I don't understand.

I wonder if Apple is ever going to serve me a cease and desist, because I use the Apple logo alot and talk about Mac OS 7 as if though it were a current product. Especially once my new design rolls out. Of course, it's they're legal right to. But should they?

Sometimes, it almost seems as if Apple Legal operates independantly of Apple Computer. I don't see how some of their moves reflect well on Apple at all.

EDIT: This post was edited a ton because it didn't sound right the first few times, sorry.

22. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I was clearly distinguishing between Font Row and something like iWork, which can be bought for any computer running OS X. You cannot purchase Front Row; that was my point. I hope that is more clear.

23. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Actually it's just a gimick without the Remote in my opinion...

I got the hacky hack on my mac...but without the remote control...it's just a novelty.

now photobooth...that's worth having. ;)

24. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Just use mediacentral it is almost exactly the same and has somethings forntrow doesn't have, it is legal and freeware!!

25. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I also have the haxy, and I use my wireless keyboard to control it. It's a really cool program, and works just as well with the keyboard as it would with the remote.