apple license similar to xp? need help in choosing .

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mtrtrbnic, Aug 27, 2004.

1. mtrtrbnic macrumors newbie

hey .

I have been using a pc for a while, and i have been looking at xp and after reading about all the problems with it, and after reading the eula i am not really wanting to allow what they tell me with the eul. I have read the license for panther and it looks ok but there is no part in it about personal data usage as there in xp. I am wanting to find out if this means that they do not use your data, or that they just have not put it in the license so as to avoid the whole thing. I am not trolling, i want some advice and am thinking of switching but know little about mas c. Also, how is apple moving in the drms side of things? this is in the x p eula, and i would also like to know if macs have any of this integrated.

cheers for all help

mrtrtrbnic

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

huh?

Well... Apple's EULA I believe is basically one OSX disk per computer and OSX may only be installed on a Macintosh. The DRM is only on the iTMS songs which the RIAA wouldn't let them have unless the songs were sold with DRM.

As long as you don't track your cocaine shipments with your Mac - I can assume it'll be fine.

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

He's talking about the fine print where MS owns your soul and the deed to your house. Honestly I'm not setting this up as a joke. Their EULA's for all their products are down right scary. Check out hotmail's EULA and be scared:

Dats some scary crap

And that's just e-mail. From what I understand there is wording in FrontPage 2000 that says that they own the content published with their software or something to that effect. (Could be worded differently.) and we won’t even get into Windows.

I think he's asking what are the dirty details of OS X and if Apple makes you *cough* lube up with the EULA.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The quick answer is that no, the OS X license doesn't have privacy strings attached. It's disclaimed to hell and back, but you aren't agreeing to give up personal information. So far, they haven't even resorted to keys or activation for the OS.

The iTunes store does require some personal information (it's the nature of DRM), but that's about it really.

5. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

You have no worries.

There is a very big difference between Apple and Microsoft, not only in their products, but the ethical constitution of the company.

Apple honest to goodness respects your privacy. You have nothing to worry about with Apple.

(BTW, privacy, the MS EULA, etc., was one of the reasons why I switched.)

6. mtrtrbnic thread starter macrumors newbie

siliconaddict- yes i am talking about the eula in the way you have explained. I know that apple is different, but i wouldnt know much about them as i am more used to having a pc. I have been looking at other parts of x p and the phone home thing was bothering me as well. I know that there are little things in os x that are open, and i was wondering if the networking stack was open as i would like to know about that if it is true.

mtrtrbnic