Apple Licenses Swiss Railway Clock Design for iPad's iOS 6 Clock App

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 12, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last month, we noted that the Swiss Federal Railways service was objecting to Apple's use of its iconic clock design for the new iPad clock app in iOS 6.

The Verge now points to a press release [Google translation] from the railway service announcing that a licensing agreement has been reached.
    [​IMG]
    Apple's iPad clock app (left) and Swiss Federal Railways clock (right)
    Terms of the licensing agreement, including payment and term length details, were not disclosed.

Article Link: Apple Licenses Swiss Railway Clock Design for iPad's iOS 6 Clock App

2. macrumors 68000

3. macrumors 6502a

turtlez

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors 603

justperry

That's what Apple should have done first place.

8. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

9. macrumors 68040

Arran

It's not just the iPad. Try asking Siri "what time is it?" on an iOS6 iPhone.

10. macrumors 68040

D.T.

SBB: "We want $20 million for licensing"

Apple: "How about a 20 free iPhone 5s?"

SBB: "20 iPhones?!? Absolutely not!"

Apple: "What if we can guarantee none of them are scratched?"

SBB: "Deal."

11. macrumors 68000

Who didn't win? :confused:

12. macrumors 68000

azentropy

I still wonder if either Apple didn't know that their clock was so close to the Swiss Railway design or just didn't care??

13. macrumors 603

Technarchy

14. macrumors regular

Gravity

Not so iconic, imho

This is a clock-face that I could have designed. It's so basic and derivative. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's designer came up with it on his/her own coincidentally. But yeah, it would look like a total ripoff if it weren't so generic. I would have rejected this design.

15. macrumors member

Sensible yes after this Swiss company had to call them out.

It would have been nice for Apple to license it properly in the first place and actually follow what they were preaching themselves in the Samsung trial.

16. macrumors 603

nfl46

Thankfully they avoided another lawsuit over this.

17. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Thank God. I can finally stop losing sleep over this.

18. macrumors 65816

japanime

It's a fantastic design. Happy to see they worked out an agreement, and credit is given where it's due.

19. macrumors newbie

[fandroid mode on] I really don'r see what the problem is. It is quit clear that there is no other way you can design a clock [/fandroid mode off]

;)

20. macrumors 6502

Its just a basic clock? I dont get it.

Probably one of the designers was just making the graphics and just popped into their head one day, maybe they walked past it and it was just in the back of their memory.

Other than that, good to see some fair play.

21. macrumors 6502a

OK. I realize that this is just my personal opinion, but I think the clock is ugly as sin.

The Swiss railway authority should be embarrassed to about their clock.

The Swiss Railway Authority should be paying Apple a hefty sum for using such an ugly icon.

Now, I must admit that I have no use for a clock with no numbers on it. When I buy a new watch which I do about every four or five years, it must have arabic numerals on it. Not hash marks, not Roman Numerals, but Arabic numerals. I want to be able to look at my watch, or clock, and know what time it is. I do not want to have to sit there and count hash marks to figure out what time it is.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you like the clock, then I am happy for you and I hope you live a long and happy life.

22. macrumors 68000

It's design seems so obvious only in hindsight.

This is one beautiful clock face.

23. macrumors newbie

I think it is actually a gorgeous looking clock. It is I think a design classic. Of course Apple knew. They just tried to do it without coughing up. Silly.

24. macrumors member

I suppose its probably quite hard to check the worldwide designs for a clock, seeing as they have around 6 variables to contend with.

25. macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling a designer used their clock as inspiration and that it somehow flew under the radar of executives there. It doesn't really make sense to intentionally take a risk of looking bad for a licensing fee that is probably miniscule in the grand scheme of things. That risk and media attention seems like a much higher price to pay.