Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
How is it a piece of cake for Apple? iOS runs on ARM. OS X is x86.
Either change to the new Intel chips, the advantage of ARM becoming less as technology advances. One of my points. Or you could re-compile the MacOS. The how to I would leave up to Apple. The concept and technology now make a unified OS a possibility. As noted others are already making it go. Their first attempt is showing good results. I like the touch aspects of the iPad and the Mac OS functionality. Please do not suggest I switch to Microsoft. Not going to happen. Something I would like added to my wish list.

Reactions: McGiord

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
i"m surprised to hear this, i thought that Apple would be announcing it at a separate event in October, not sure how reliable this information is tho. Wouldn't Apple be worried that the iPad Pro could upstage the iPhone 6S or the other way around? i'm looking forward to seeing the iPad Pro so if it's announced next week that's great :) I'm just surprised that they would do this.

You're spot on. They won't do this. They don't upstage the iPhone with huge new product announcements. They have separate events.

There are going to be a lot of people here that cry and whine when they don't announce all these things in a single event.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Either change to the new Intel chips, the advantage of ARM becoming less as technology advances. One of my points. Or you could re-compile the MacOS. The how to I would leave up to Apple. The concept and technology now make a unified OS a possibility. As noted others are already making it go. Their first attempt is showing good results. I like the touch aspects of the iPad and the Mac OS functionality. Please do not suggest I switch to Microsoft. Not going to happen. Something I would like added to my wish list.

It's really not as simple as pushing a button to recompile OS X to ARM.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Really? They'll need the Mac OS to become cash registers in a frozen yogurt store?

That's a "pro" use and iOS suits it just fine.

Most people around here seem to wear "pro" like some sort of I'm-better-than-you badge. Like, my job is so important it's PRO.

All pro means is "business use." Next time you see a TGI Fridays waitress enter your order into an iPad, remember, that's "pro" too!
Exactly.
And that's why I dislike "Pro" when describing a product, especially in this case.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Previous keynotes over the past 10ish years.

Look at how many times Apple has announced two new products that each could have their own keynote every and done so when announcing a new iPhone too. They don't take the thunder away from the iPhone announcement.

Which is also why I'm somewhat skeptical of a September iPad release. However, it's certainly possible to see a reveal if the iPads don't ship until October like they usually do. Apple announced Apple Watch with the iPhone, but the Watch wouldn't ship for 8 months. iPhone is their money maker, so they aren't going to distract your wallet away from that shiny new iPhone. I personally think the September Keynote will just be iPhone and the delayed Apple TV.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
3 Bears.....Too small....Too big....iPad Air 2 just right.
lol! That's what everyone said(including myself) about the iPhone 6 Plus being too big and the 4.7 inch iPhone being "just right". But as you saw what happened, a lot of people wanted the iPhone 6 Plus( including myself). So yeah sign me up early for the IPad Plus in space grey please! Lol!

Reactions: Billy95Tech

rockinrakozy

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2015
My only concerns are what operating system it'll run on. As mentioned previously by a user, if it doesn't run natively on Mac OS X, then it shouldn't have the "Pro" in the title. People complaining about a stylus certainly have never seen what graphic designers can do... And now seeing what the Windows Surface can do for music notation is unbelievable for those wanting to write full orchestrations. On top of that, I love my iPad mini 2 for taking notes and other various factors of the App Store so integrating both an iOS and OS X hybrid would be something quite remarkable. I'm a film composer and the idea of being able to have Logic Pro X on a tablet and having touch controls to control all my parameters and everything would be incredibly beautiful (and no, Logic Remote isn't the answer to that). Obviously to give it the "Pro" status, it would need to be able to have some sort of USB-C connection or a few to make it even remotely tolerable for those wanting to access multiple hard drives or retrieving files. But it'll be interesting what they've cooked up in the lab.

Paul6s

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2015
Pumped for the iPad Pro. I had a feeling they'd announce it at the event instead of waiting. They did the same thing with the new MacBook. People didn't think it'd be out till May or June and boom it was announced early.
Trust me I'm pumped for this too! I still have the iPad 3. So yeah time for an upgrade huh?

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
It's obviously going to be targeted to a different audience, where that price won't matter.

Price almost always matters.

I want this. I'll use this. I can use this. At $800, I'll just continue using what I have. Cut about 30% or more off that price and I'd consider it.

Price matters.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The surface RT also used a cut down version of Windows, and you could only use app store apps. The app store was so terrible that even the iPad was a better buy than the RT, which is why it failed.
Windows RT wasn't a "cut down" version of Windows. I actually wish it was. It has all of the underlying subsystems and OS services that are present in the x86 version. There was no technical reason for Microsoft to prohibit "desktop" apps for ARM, they wanted to created a locked-down ecosystem.

But yes, the chronic lack of quality touch-optimized Modern UI apps was the deathblow to the ARM-based Surface devices... and what makes the x86-based Surface devices sub-par tablets.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'm a film composer and the idea of being able to have Logic Pro X on a tablet and having touch controls to control all my parameters and everything would be incredibly beautiful (and no, Logic Remote isn't the answer to that).
What if Apple made an iOS version of Logic Pro X for the iPad Pro?

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
My only concerns are what operating system it'll run on. As mentioned previously by a user, if it doesn't run natively on Mac OS X, then it shouldn't have the "Pro" in the title. People complaining about a stylus certainly have never seen what graphic designers can do... And now seeing what the Windows Surface can do for music notation is unbelievable for those wanting to write full orchestrations. On top of that, I love my iPad mini 2 for taking notes and other various factors of the App Store so integrating both an iOS and OS X hybrid would be something quite remarkable. I'm a film composer and the idea of being able to have Logic Pro X on a tablet and having touch controls to control all my parameters and everything would be incredibly beautiful (and no, Logic Remote isn't the answer to that). Obviously to give it the "Pro" status, it would need to be able to have some sort of USB-C connection or a few to make it even remotely tolerable for those wanting to access multiple hard drives or retrieving files. But it'll be interesting what they've cooked up in the lab.

I caved in a few months back and picked up a Surface Pro 3 512gb... I've already used it a number of times with my Fireface UCX and Adobe Audition. While TotalMixFX isn't really designed for touch it works quite nicely (just can't use more then one control at time). I really wish Apple would come out with a similar device, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Looks like a lot of hype for an event that isn't showcasing much at all. New iphones don't have much "new" in them other then force touch, don't care about that anyway. AppleTV if priced higher then 99.99 is going to be a tough sell with hardly anything changed and a new interface? iPad Mini 4 should have been released previously under the name iPad Mini 3 and of course iPad Pro for those who feel like scrolling a full webpage side by side with a full webpage... ah.. is needed.. Don't get me wrong, I plan to watch but so far I'm not feeling anything amazing coming out unless their one more thing is a brand new... wait for it... set of apple sport bands in different colors.. oh wait.. that's already coming too. So what exactly is everyone so hyped about?

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
A resolution of 2728x2048 seems more likely instead of 2732x2048. 2728 is divisible by 8 evenly, and is nearly as close to a 4:3 ratio as 2732x2048.

I'd really like to see 4096x3072 instead. That would result in a 397 dpi display (close to the 401 dpi of the iPhone 6 Plus), but 12.6 million pixels may be a bit much even for a A9X SoC. (Though it would still be better than an A5X driving a display 1/4 that resolution as seen in the iPad 3.)

Reactions: ICEMAN-sven

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Price almost always matters.

I want this. I'll use this. I can use this. At $800, I'll just continue using what I have. Cut about 30% or more off that price and I'd consider it.

Price matters.

Exactly, and I don't think there's a true audience for a $800 iPad. For a little more, you can get a MacBook. For a little less, you can get a slightly smaller iPad. Unless this thing has some mind-blowing features that neither of the other products offer, I don't see it starting at that price.

Price matters most of all, I think.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
iOS runs pretty well on the simulator. Just integrate that into the OS sorta like rosetta was so and you can run iOS apps side by side with OS X apps. Obviously there will need to be some sdk updates so that iOS can shared data with OS X apps, but much is already there (in terms of running iOS on OS X).

Basically, build a Surface Pro like device that runs OSX, integrate the simulator into OS X with hooks that can access the hardware directly (so it looks like an iPad to iOS Apps) and you have a good start. Then add features to allow iOS and OS X to talk to eachother and give iOS access to any new features of the hardware (pen, etc..).
Not happening. This rumor even says this iPad pro will be running iOS 9.1.

tkatz

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Not happening. This rumor even says this iPad pro will be running iOS 9.1.

Yeah I know. I just wish Apple would come out with a Surface like device. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult as the Macbook has pretty much the same specs. I was hoping the iPad Pro would be something like that but with all the rumors its clear it won't be that.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Hmmm... my mom's iPad 2 needs replacing, but I'll hold out for sales on the iPad Air 2 (she does not want to upgrade but I know she gets frustrated with how slow the iPad 2 is. While the Pro might be great for her (screen size) it might be too unwieldy.)

I'll definitely be tuning in next week.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I would like to know how reliable these "sources" are, are we to believe that this will happen or is it some sort of guess?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.