Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Apple really wants from 2 to 2 years to make the thinness smartphone in the world...aka iphone 4 and iphone 5

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
What is the thickness of the earphone jack? That is the thinnest they can go, which is not too far.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
All Apple have done since 2008 is try and make stuff thinner.

Can't wait for the iPad LighterThanAir.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What is the thickness of the earphone jack? That is the thinnest they can go, which is not too far.

Exactly. And I don't think Apple has invented a thinner headphone jack, or lightning port for that matter. I think iPad Air is a about as thin as Apple will/can go. And let's not forget about the camera.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside

Unless they create a proprietary port that replaces the headphone jack. Sounds ridiculous I know. I wouldn't put it past them though.

Last edited:

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Exactly. And I don't think Apple has invented a thinner headphone jack, or lightning port for that matter. I think iPad Air is a about as thin as Apple will/can go.

Someone will have to come up with a new jack. Or no jack (bluethooth). I can`t see anyone but Apple pulling the trigger on something like this. When is the right time, is the question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why do we STILL need a dam backlight for the iPad that's going to be selling in 2015 ?

Thought we were supposed to be moving away from this tech, with all the inconsistent lighting, yellow areas ect ect that goes along with it.

sighs

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Replacing the headphone jack to make the device thinner will happen. It's just a matter to when. Everyone was pissed when they changed the charging port. Imagine how pissed they will be when the jack is removed rendering their headphones obsolete.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Why not 2 models? One Droid Maxx style with the iPhone 5 thickness and extra battery capacity?

Choice of thinness or a second sleek phone with all the advantages of the next generation iPhone with more power.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I already think the iPhone is a bit too thin for comfort in my hand. But it's perfect with a case on it so I guess its the best of both worlds for those who like it thin, and those who like it thick. (There must be a euphemism in there somewhere.)

Yeah, all I'm going to do is slap a Mophie Juice Pack on it, not only for battery life, but also to give it a more positive feel in my hand. I neither need nor want a phone that is polished smooth, wafer thin and imperceptibly light weight.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
how about more base storage and more RAM, for you know, better software

the freemium IAP crap might be making money for apple now, but the fad will pass

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I don't know how much more you can slim it down since you're going to be limited by the size of the headphone jack. Of course knowing apple, they can change the jack at will and make you buy an adapter. Didn't they patent a new headphone jack type?

Anyways, why not reduce the size of the backlight and all that jazz and keep the same profile, therefore putting a bigger battery?

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Replacing the headphone jack to make the device thinner will happen. It's just a matter to when. Everyone was pissed when they changed the charging port. Imagine how pissed they will be when the jack is removed rendering their headphones obsolete.

They can easily have a lightning to headphone jack adapter also. Which might cost another $30 too.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
They've been saying it'll be released in June for years. Wrong everytime.

Anytime an "analyst" says this, you know they're a hoax.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If the rumors are true, the next iPhone will be a 4.7/5.5" sheet of paper.

Thank you for that attachment. Wasn't sure what you were talking about.

As for thinness complainers, less backlight thickness means more room for other components like the battery. It doesn't mean they'll make the device thicker. Smaller/thinner also tends to correlate with less power usage.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Why do we STILL need a dam backlight for the iPad that's going to be selling in 2015 ?

Thought we were supposed to be moving away from this tech, with all the inconsistent lighting, yellow areas ect ect that goes along with it.

sighs

I don't think the MR forums are representative of reality. Apple sells over 100,000,000 devices a year utilizing this kind of technology to people who are using and enjoying said devices at this very moment without issue, myself included. :)

so ipod nano is the thinnest with lightining connector and 3.5 jack

That's a great point of reference, the Nano is 5.4mm compared to iPhone 5s at 7.6mm thickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.