Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in 2010, Apple signed an agreement with Caltech spinoff Liquidmetal Technologies, giving Apple exclusive access to the firm's unique metal alloys for consumer electronics applications. Liquidmetal's "amorphous metal alloys", sometimes referred to as "metallic glass" due to their non-crystalline molecular structures, offer several advantages over many other metals, including superior strength and durability. Apple had quietly tested Liquidmetal by using it in the SIM card eject tool for the iPhone 3G, but the material has yet to make any additional appearances in Apple's products.

The agreement between Apple and Liquidmetal funneled the covered intellectual property through a subsidiary known as Crucible Intellectual Property, LLC, and Liquidmetal is required to submit all of its newly developed intellectual property to that subsidiary through at least February 2014.

liquidmetal_float_process.jpg
As pointed out by MacDailyNews, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office yesterday issued a patent assigned to Crucible covering processes for mass producing thin sheets of amorphous metal alloys, suggesting that Apple and Liquidmetal are indeed making progress with the material. Of the five inventors listed on the patent, which was filed in May 2012, two are Apple product design engineers and three are engineers at Liquidmetal Technologies.
A conventional method for making a BMG [bulk metallic glass] sheet requires casting a amorphous metal alloy at or above the melting temperature of the amorphous metal alloy, freezing the molten amorphous metal alloy in a sheet mold to form a sheet, and then using a cutting tool to remove the gate portion of the cast sheet and shape the cast sheet into the desired final geometry. However, casting requires melting and cooling of the amorphous metal alloy in a sheet mold, and this can cause uncontrolled amount of amorphicity in the BMG sheet. Furthermore, the post-processing cost for removing the gate and runner overflow and shaping the cast sheet into the desired final sheet geometry can be quite high. Therefore, new methods for making BMG sheets that overcome the above mentioned limitations of the casting process are desirable. [...]

A proposed solution according to embodiments herein for the manufacture of bulk-solidifying amorphous sheets is to use a float glass process and/or a conveyor belt-type process.
The patent describes how molten BMG could be continuously poured onto a shallow bath of molten tin, where it would flow to form a sheet. The thickness of the sheets would be controlled by the speed at which cooling BMG is removed from the tin bath. The patent specifically claims that such a float plant could operate continuously for 10-15 years, producing approximately 6,000 kilometers of BMG per year in thicknesses ranging from 0.1 mm to 25 mm and widths up to 3 meters.

Rumors of Liquidmetal's alloys being used for Apple's iPhone have surfaced a number of times, but last year Liquidmetal's Atakan Peker noted that Apple was unlikely to use the alloys as major design materials for at least 2-4 years due to the production scale needed for such parts as MacBook casings. With yesterday's patent, however, it does appear that Apple and Liquidmetal may have developed processes to overcome that hurdle.

Article Link: Apple-Liquidmetal Collaboration Awarded Patent on Process for Mass Production of Amorphous Metals

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Sweet. I anxiously await the day when I can drop my iPhone and it splatters into a liquidmetal puddle only to slowly reform back into an iPhone a la the T1000. Make it happen, Apple :cool:

Don't worry. Samsung will make a watch out of liquidmetal soon enough.

Only, Samsung's cheap knockoff version will likely be mercury and end up killing half its owners.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Don't worry. Samsung will make a watch out of liquidmetal soon enough.

Definitely. Be careful, though; all we need is one analyst to pull out a rumour about a liquidmetal iCyborg, and Samsung will come out with this:

terminator_2_judgment_day_10.jpg

TL;DR: Samsung=Skynet? :eek:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Hopefully apple use this material in the next iphone to minimize the weak and bent aluminium iphone 5.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Hopefully this Liquidmetal strikes the right balance of weight and strength. Holding and iPhone 4/4S next to an iPhone 5, you appreciate the aluminum. However, it dents fairly easily.

Looking forward to it.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Amazing for a company with $21 million in market cap. I wonder why someone doesn't buy them already (unless that speaks to something about their product).

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So can my future iMac morph into a Terminator T1000? Or can Terminators morph into iMacs? :confused:

Well at least they'd be a little sturdier. I'd be quite happy knowing that my iMac could take a shotgun to the face.

Unfortunately, after checking my sources, they're probably still susceptible to water damage ...
maxresdefault.jpg

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Amazing for a company with $21 million in market cap. I wonder why someone doesn't buy them already (unless that speaks to something about their product).

Because they might have an agreement with Apple that prevents such a buyout. There might be a clause in the agreement that says if the company gets an offer, they must entertain it to Apple first and Apple reserves the right to buy them out at the same price.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I thought it's already used in some consumer products... Samsung made liquid metal parts for their phones a few years ago (I think).

Yea, Samsung used some Liquidmetal components back in '02 but Apple got the exclusive agreements years after that.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You mean like the unconfirmed incident by a Chinese woman who got an electric shock from an iPhone, right?

Also, +10 for finding racism in something that had none whatsoever. Come on, grow up.

Not only is it unconfirmed yet if it was the iPhone, it could've been a knockoff charger. China has a known major problem where people are buying cheap knockoff chargers and using them with smartphones that has a super-high risk of exploding, sparking fires, and so on.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
So, why do they want to make large sheets of this material? I thought one of the advantages of Liquid Metal is that it can be molded into complex shapes eliminating the need to machine it. Are they going to cut up these sheets and then machine them into product? Were they not able to figure out how to mold large complex pieces? Or, is this just something they figured out how to do so they figured they might as well patent it?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Are you claiming that Samsung would copy a technology to which Apple owns the patents? Surely they wouldn't do that.

Who said Apple owns it? Apple doesn't own any patents here. Crucible Intellectual Property, LLC owns all of the patents here.

The question is, how much ownership does Apple have of Crucible, and what's the deal on it.

solong4now

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Chicago
Terminator reference? Apple IS Skynet!

First they came for my CD player and I was happy
Then they came for books and I was happy but cautious
Soon they will be coming for my TV and now I KNOW soon they will be plugging ME IN!
:eek:
:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.