Apple Logo Lawsuit

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by markcres, Mar 30, 2006.

1. markcres macrumors 6502

markcres

Hi All,

I am puzzled by the news that Steve Jobs chose the Apple logo because he liked the Beatles and their philosophy (as widely reported today in European press).

I was always led to believe that the Apple logo (with a bite taken out of it) was chosen in memory of Alan Turing (creator of the first electronic computer at Bletchley Park during WW2) - who commited suicide by taking a bite from an apple laced with cyanide - after being threatened with jail for being gay. I saw a program on TV about Apple many years ago that gave this story of how the company logo came about. Surely Apple would be advised to use this version of events in court rather than saying it was Steve Job's liking of Beatles music - which might only make Apple Corps (beatles) position stronger!!

2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Even though the first apple sold $666 I really don't think they are that morbid.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Thomas Flowers the creator of the first electronic computer?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think the Apple is really taken from the Apple that, according to legend, fell from the three and inspired Newton to come up with the laws of gravity.

Just look at the original Apple logo, the apple has a prominent position even there:

[​IMG]

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I agree with Mitthrawnuruodo's interpretation. And I've been there so that proves it!

6. idkfa macrumors regular

Wow. My first post... :D

Anyways, in response to speculation about the hidden meaning behind the Apple Logo, Wikipedia says otherwise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer

Apparently the Apple Logo was designed 2 years prior to the Gay-Pride flag and does not follow the same color scheme.

Take it for what it is worth, it is the Internet after all...

Cheers.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

agreed....oh and it looks really good.

Bless

8. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I have a good friend who worked for the artist that designed the apple logo. (he's also done lots of others like ebay) That isn't to say that jobs and company didn't tell this guy the general idea but I think that he probably had the biggest influence.

9. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

I always thought it was simply because someone took a "byte" out of the apple.