Apple Looking to Boost In-Car Integration of Maps and Siri in iOS 7

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Building on yesterday's report describing a "very, very flat" design for iOS 7, 9to5Mac reports that Apple is also looking to make significant improvements to vehicle integration with the next-generation mobile operating system. In particular, Apple is looking at ways to integrate Maps and Siri with the built-in displays increasingly found in cars.
    The report's sources warn that the actual integration may take some time to appear given the complexities of negotiating deals with car companies, testing, and required improvements to Apple's services infrastructure, but that the technology supporting the integration is coming as part of iOS 7.

[​IMG]
    Siri Eyes Free mode
    Apple last year announced an "Eyes Free" mode for Siri as part of iOS 6, but it took until February of this year for Chevrolet to become the first car manufacturer to offer the integration with its Spark and Sonic models. A number of manufacturers have, however, committed to support Eyes Free in their vehicles in the future.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Boost In-Car Integration of Maps and Siri in iOS 7

2. macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping this isn't the "big" feature of iOS 7.

3. macrumors 6502

Muscle Master

Ha.. I wouldn't trust maps in a $80k vehicle

matter fact.. not even in a honda fit

4. macrumors regular

kahkityoong

Wait for it. All the predictable complaints about maps.

5. Eduardo1971, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I don't understand why the iphone is on a cradle and the BMW's navigation screen is right above it since I know that newer BMW's have an iPhone dock that is integrated into the arm rest. Discreet and clean. In addtion, the dock allows for integration of Bluetooth, and audio via the BMW Link Application.

I have a '04 ZHP and my iPhone 4 is kept in my bag or glove box hidden from view and without the need of an ugly cradle (my automobile came with Bluetooth and Navigation).

That cradle really undermind's the clean dashboard.

6. macrumors 6502

bchery21

I'd have to upgrade my car first; the ol' honda prelude wouldn't cut it.

7. macrumors 6502a

What's that iPhone 5 holder the BMW has? I haven't seen any for the 5.. :confused:

8. macrumors 6502a

nice m3

9. macrumors 68020

Diode

And then in 3~4 years the plug/design is changed and you are screwed if you want a new iPhone.

I guess really only beneficial to the people who buy new cars every few years.

10. macrumors 603

ArtOfWarfare

Who's vantage point is that picture taken from? It looks like the guy has a second head on his right shoulder and that's whose perspective we're looking from, rather than anyone in the back or the driver's perspective.

11. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Here comes all the Apple map slams. :p

Integration of devices like the iPhone and iPad to add intelligence to other devices like a car is really cool. Seems obvious, but this could be really cool in 3-5 years as other devices get enhanced by mobile devices. Love it.

12. macrumors regular

I would definitely trust apples apps vs BMWs own maps. Most car maps are waay worse if you haven't noticed.

13. macrumors 68020

Squilly

Meh. Not a fan. I got a better idea. Make a car instead! :rolleyes::eek:

14. macrumors 6502

FirstNTenderbit

That's easy. Marketing. Showing two iconic designs that are instantly recognizable: BMW's propellers and the iPhone's shape, is a much better marketing piece than a phone in an armrest.

15. macrumors regular

Wow, you're just unbelievable. 3-4 years? How come? The old 30-pin connector lasted 10 years and then you can get an adapter to the new one.

16. macrumors 6502a

swarmster

*yawn* Whenever I hear about car integration I fall asleep. Car companies move way too slowly and the consumer upgrade cycle is way too long and the prices way too high for it to have even the slightest impact on my buying practice. I haven't bought a new car since the original iPhone came out and they're just now considering building in vaguely interesting support in the future. Well, I'm not planning on buying a new car, either, so I guess that's fine?

Cars seem to just now be getting AUX jacks regularly, and I'm pretty sure we were promised those when the iPod was new.

17. macrumors 68030

Complete waste of time and resource given Apple Maps can't and never will work.

18. macrumors member

I'd say Shoulder Guy took it?!... :D
    [​IMG]

19. macrumors member

ArchAndroid

20. macrumors 6502a

I think they need to push iOS in these areas to stay important in the digital world outside smartphones. With Android being so open, it seems the natural choice for cars, heating systems, fridges etc etc. for the inevitable digital world.

Apple's insistance on having their software only run on Apple hardware could start to cause problems.

21. macrumors 6502

My audi A6 has integrated Google Maps through a T-mobile 3G connection. Yes, I have to pay for an extra data plan for this, but way more reliable than Apple Maps.

The interface is a little clunky, though, that's where the iphone interface may be more helpful. The voice control for the Audi is horrendous, it makes Siri look like the best voice software ever made. (And maybe it is?)

22. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

I was thinking the exact same thing....looks like a render. I have seen ones that sit in the cup holder, but not one that attaches to the middle

23. macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I think car integration is very overrated.

The fact of the matter is that not everyone can afford a new car to use these features. I'm still driving a 1999 POS. Not because I want to but because a new car is completely out of my budget for any time remotely in the future.

And these features will only exist on NEW vehicles. It's not like they can go back and add them to used cars, which is what a lot (if not most) Americans buy.

That being said, I'm afraid most people wouldn't get to use these features until these new vehicles are on the used market. And even then, the question would be if people could even afford the cars that are getting this integration.

24. macrumors 68000

Not to mention the fact that it will likely be wireless with inductive charging instead of a wire at all. Regardless you can't really get smaller than the new connector anyway so I doubt Apple will switch away to another cable when it comes time it will be totally cable free

25. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

Id rather have something like android installed on all the cars so you could download whatever apps you wanted and people could make apps to link to ios and other smart phones.