Apple Looking to Nearly Double Headcount of In-House Creative Design Team

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is reportedly looking to nearly double the size of its in-house creative design team, seeking to bolster its brand image with new advertising content from dedicated designers, according to a report from Ad Age.
    The report notes that Apple plans to continue working with its outside ad agency partners, but that it is boosting its internal team to help with such website design, video tutorials, and more.

[​IMG]
    Ad Age also suggests that Apple faces some challenges in recruiting creative designers, given the company's distance from the San Francisco advertising community as well as potential concerns about designers feeling limited in working with a single client that so closely defines its own advertising messages.

Aside from its own advertising efforts, Apple has also been boosting its iAd team in recent weeks and months in order to support the launch of the company's ad-supported iTunes Radio service in the coming weeks. The iAd team not only serves as account managers but also works closely with advertisers in some cases to help them develop effective ads for Apple's various ad services.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Nearly Double Headcount of In-House Creative Design Team

2. macrumors regular

TimeSquareDesi

Keep hiring as long as Apple doesn't turn into a bloated, ineffective, unfocused Goliath.

3. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

More designers = better

4. macrumors 65816

More computery & functionny, and less trash canny & thinny on your desktop machines please.

5. macrumors 65816

musika

Yay!

[​IMG]

6. macrumors G5

Rogifan

I don't think this article is about product designers.

7. macrumors member

They are marketers, not designers.

8. macrumors newbie

Double a lot of teams

Perhaps they could double their Mac Pro Design Team? Or their iOS icon design team? Or, really, anything but marketing. Apple's products used to be their own marketing and advertising.

9. macrumors 65816

Good call. But either way, it's still my little cry for help!

10. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

If my one single client is Apple, I would take it.

11. macrumors 68040

KdParker

Maybe......

12. macrumors 68000

JGowan

I think they should also get into games and buy From Software immediately.

13. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Am I the only one that doesn't see this as a positive thing?..

14. macrumors 6502

I am not sure this is such good news. In my experience as 20 year ad industry veteran, quite often internal teams succumb to internal squabbles and incestual thought processes that quickly stagnate the brand. Hiring external agencies/talent in my experience consistently yields a broader range of ideas and approaches to marketing problems.

15. macrumors 6502

attila

So what happened to the good designers (who designed everything prior to iOS7)?

16. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

Design needs inspiration. Fresh new blood is needed from time to time

17. macrumors G5

Rogifan

I'm not sure who is running Apple branding and PR right now but they suck at it. One case in point: IDSA (Industrial Design Society of America) held its annual conference this year in August. This conference is a big deal and well known and respected designers attend/speak at it. What tech companies were included in the list of event sponsors? One would assume a company like Apple, which is pretty famous for its design culture. But no, Apple was no where to be found. However, Microsoft, Google, Samsung and LG were.

Apple really needs to do a better job on the brand front, needs to do a better job of selling the company. Of course this isn't Cook's strength so maybe he needs to hire someone for that role. Or maybe that's why he hired the former YSL CEO.

----------

I think this article is about advertising, not iOS or hardware designers.

18. macrumors 68000

"but that it is boosting its internal team to help with such website design, video tutorials, and more."

This is bad, internal corporate designers are the worst!

19. macrumors 6502

They are in the forest in Argentina, killing cows to cover the calendar app

----------

I don't see the harm

20. macrumors 601

talmy

Apple needs to double the size of their technical design teams, not marketing! Marketing doesn't "create" anything.

21. macrumors regular

That's a large increase, is more middle management really that useful?

22. macrumors regular

Please tell me you don't mean Scott Forstall? ;)

23. macrumors 68020

I think they need to bolster its software and hardware staff more.

2 cents

24. macrumors 6502

TheRealTVGuy

Have to respectfully disagree. There's a reason Apple pulled out of trade shows and the like...

And besides, why would they want to spend time on the muck and the mire with the companies you listed?

Is Apple a little on the high-horse? Perhaps. But they deserve to be. Their products are still the most original (stop crying about the smaller companies whose tech they purchased), smoothest operating, most user friendly, and best designed.

25. macrumors member

More != always mean better.

Designers are very opinionated, see what happened with Scott Forstall. The guy was so stubborn that he lead a multibillion dollar company down a laughable path. Apple will be ok if they have a handful of open-minded and creative people leading their design teams.