Apple Looking to Open Sixth Manhattan Retail Location in Late 2015

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 7, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is apparently gearing up to open a sixth retail location in Manhattan by late 2015, according to a new report from ifoAppleStore

[​IMG]
    The current interior of the building as occupied by VBH (via ifoAppleStore)

Likely to be located at 940 Madison Avenue, the future store will occupy a former banking complex built in 1921 that currently houses luxury retailer VBH. The building itself offers a large amount of space, featuring a 4,000 square-foot ground level and 1,000 square-foot mezzanine.

[​IMG]
    An outside view of the building in 1922 (via Museum of the City of New York)

Apple has notably constructed a number of stores in historic locations, including a flagship store in Brisbane, Australia that is located in the famous MacArthur Chambers building and a store in a century-old theater complex located within Berlin's Kurfürstendamm avenue. The company's Grand Central, Opéra, and Buchanan Street retail stores have also been noteworthy for their significant locales.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Open Sixth Manhattan Retail Location in Late 2015

2. macrumors 65816

3. macrumors 6502

sshambles

Looks like a great spot.

6 stores in Manhattan though? They must generate enough business at all 5 to garner another.

4. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

That's like 5 minutes from the flagship 5th avenue cube store. Seems odd but I'm sure they know what they're doing.

5. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Any Apple store in Manhattan is always mobbed your best bet is the 24 hour one on fifth Avenue at like 2am

6. macrumors 6502a

There's also supposed to be one in the works at the World Trade Center.

7. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

8. macrumors regular

6 for Manhattan now, and still 0 for Brooklyn?

9. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I can't think of one place in Brooklyn where I would want to See a Apple Store

10. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    I like that first picture. Lots of comfy sofas to sit in at an Apple store to enjoy the free wifi and all the iCandy you want. :D

In all seriousness, in viewing this picture I realized that there are not a lot of seats at the Apple Store and it make me wonder what the strategy might be -- keep em moving?

Oh well, more on point I am looking forward to the world trade center store more than any other NY store announced (rumored).

11. macrumors 65816

japanime

12. macrumors 65816

Hammie

The first picture is not the new store's interior concept. It is what the current tenant's interior looks like. It will become the traditional Apple Store layout.

13. macrumors 6502

street.cory

Whoosh

14. macrumors 68020

Yeah at first I thought that's what this article would be about. I guess that'll be 7 stores by the time that WTC Mall is complete.

15. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I know they been wanting to put one on Austin Street in Forrest hills, Queens

16. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    I am guessing you missed that it was joke on my part as denote by the :D? Or maybe you just didnt find it funny. Let me try again with a knock knock joke --

Knock Knock
    Whos there
    Apple
    Apple Who
    Knock Knock
    Whos there
    Apple
    Apple Who
    Knock Knock
    Whos there
    Apple
    Apple Who
    Knock Knock
    Whos there
    Orange
    Orange Who
    Orange you glad I didnt say Apple?
    :D

17. macrumors 68020

I think they should definitely put one in Queens and one in Brooklyn.

18. macrumors 6502

Uh, yes. That was implicit in the post to which you responded.

19. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I can't think of an area in Brooklyn that is trendy enough with enough foot traffic to warrant a Apple store, can you?

20. macrumors 68020

I don't really go to Brooklyn too much, but I've been to Park Slope, Bedford Ave, DUMBO and a couple of other places... All at night tho Lol.

I'm sure there's a spot somewhere there.

21. macrumors newbie

As a former NYC employee, I can say that a slow day for us was rarely under $250,000 and usually double that... just in our store alone... and we weren't the busiest store in sales.

22. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

It's not where you would like to see one… it's where Apple can generate enough sales to justify one. Apple tends to put these stores in hip, high-income areas. Off the top of my head, Williamsburg, Park Slope, or Clinton Hill fits those criteria.

23. macrumors 65816

Hammie

Actually, it was not implicit.

The :D can be interpreted as extreme happiness and/or excitement about a subject or topic.

I think a more appropriate emoticon to use would be the :p or :rolleyes: , especially if I was joking or being sarcastic.

24. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Plenty of streets in Brooklyn have a lot of foot traffic. Plus, the presence of a prestige store like Apple will further drive foot traffic.

25. JAT
    macrumors 603

It was the 2nd paragraph that gave it away, more than the emoticon. Bummer you missed the humor.