Apple Looking to Revive 'Think Different' Advertising Campaign?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 9, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Patently Apple points to a new trademark application from Apple filed on November 30th regarding the "Think Different" advertising slogan used by the company from 1997 until 2002. While the application follows close on the heels of a renewal of an earlier trademark issued for the slogan and could conceivably simply be related to Apple looking to preserve its long-standing trademark, the report notes that Apple's new application specifically extends coverage of the trademark to music players such as the iPod and other electronic devices that could conceivably include a future tablet device.
    Beyond the new trademark application, 9 to 5 Mac notes that Apple has begun using the "Think Different" phrase on the packaging of its new 21.5" and 27" iMac models. While the change may again simply be a result of Apple moving to exhibit continued commercial usage of the trademark in support of its renewal applications for protection, 9 to 5 Mac also reports on unconfirmed chatter out of Apple's ad agency TBWAChiatDay regarding the slogan, although no specific word of a related ad campaign has surfaced.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Revive 'Think Different' Advertising Campaign?

2. macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

"Think Different" remains one of my favourite marketing campaigns of all time, and is certainly Apple's best full-fledged campaign. "Switch" and "Get a Mac" are absolutely lame in comparison...

Launching a revolutionary new tablet and a new "Think Different" campaign? I'd love to see that...

3. macrumors 6502a

yes, think different and think about putting back the rainbow Apple logo!! :D

4. macrumors regular

I so want this to happen. I hadn't seen the Think Different stuff on my new iMac but there it is!

5. macrumors 6502a

Awesome. I hope the Tablet is game changing enough to necessitate bringing back the slogan, sort of how the original Think Different campaign was a teaser to the first iMac.

6. macrumors 6502a

Maybe to "Think Different" about Tablets? Maybe Apple will make a new kind of tablet, and imply that we should "Think Different" about them. :D

7. macrumors 6502

Nice

by far my favorite of apple's advertising campaign that brought out the essence of what makes the company unique-

8. macrumors 6502a

Anything is better than the "Get A Mac" ones.

9. macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I like it, although I'm not convinced that "think different" is proper grammar ("differently"), just as I'm not convinced "funnest iPod yet" is proper. But who cares. ;)

10. macrumors 6502

Please don't revive it! Apple's not going to change the world like Einstein, Gandhi, etc. did. Such a campaign degrades the work of those people.

11. macrumors 65816

Bring back the rainbow Apple logo!!! :)

12. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

13. macrumors 6502

mambodancer

Boy did you miss the point of the ad.

And yes, Apple has changed the world in very real and subtle ways that matter, with or without people knowing it, for millions of people.

14. macrumors 68000

Heh....

I'd love to see the "Think Different" campaign revived. I think there are PLENTY of great inventors, scientists and other people worthy of displaying in a new series of those ads. (Maybe they could try to do them all in color instead of black & white this time, to differentiate them from the original ads? They could go with more recent people, to make that workable? Although I would like to see Tesla recognized at least....)

But the rainbow Apple logo?? No thanks. That was fine in the 80's, when personal computers supporting color graphics was a *big deal*. (Radio Shack even had the "Tandy Color Computer" series back then.) But now? It just reminds me of those gay pride stickers.

15. macrumors newbie

A funny thing is that if they were to revive this campaign and feature new people, Bill Gates should be one of them.

16. macrumors member

tuhoops

think differentLY!!!!

17. macrumors 6502

Apple is going to think different by reusing an old ad campaign.

How very.....different!

18. macrumors G3

NT1440

My thoughts exactly. There will be something about this device that no one will see coming, thus the rebirth of a great marketing campaign.

I really liked those posters

19. macrumors 6502a

swissmann

I loved the old ad campaign. I loved apple when they were the rebels and trouble makers.

Now in some respects they are hypocrites. What if I want to think different and use an iPhone without AT&T? How about wanting to watch a High Def movie on my Mac without needing to buy it through iTunes (Blu-Ray anyone), or use a non iPod with iTunes.

It's OK with Apple if you think different as long as that different is the same different than Apple is thinking.

Please allow me choice so I can think different the way I want to.

(And I agree with differently being more accurate but for some reason doesn't have that quirkiness that seems to fit the campaign).

20. macrumors newbie

grammar

I've always disliked the comments I saw about this allegedly being grammar. It is NOT bad grammar if "different" describes WHAT you are thinking rather than the WAY you are thinking. English, just like other languages, is actually quite flexible.

My 2 cents.

Think Different.

21. macrumors 65816

talkingfuture

Hope this is true, its the perfect slogan for Apple. In Mac vs PC sales anyway.

22. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

Not really "Think Different" really applies anymore.

They use all the same components as every other computer (Intel chips) and the iPhone is phone everyone tries to copy so it's not really different.

So I don't know what is different...

23. macrumors 6502a

miketcool

I don't know, I might have to agree...

Apple Computer, the company for the people. Innovative thinking to help us use computers, better.

vs.

Apple Corp., the company that is trying to gain global media dominance. Innovative thinking to create a media centric empire.

I think Apple using the likenesses of those great people nowadays for profit is kind of strange. The "Think Different" people Apple SHOULD connect with are more like Henry Ford, great visionary business leaders.

Still one of the best ad campaigns of our time!

24. macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Love it!

25. macrumors G3

NT1440

Microsoft Windows: 90%+ of computers in the world

Apple/Mac/iDevice: NOT WINDOWS

Thats the point of the campaign, no consumer seriously looks so far into advertising that they look at components, openness on networks, etc.

You need to remember we are tech geeks here, apples main audience doesn't look that far into/care about any of this.