Apple Looks at Using Wearable Sensors to Auto-Adjust iPhone Notifications and Alarms

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today published several patent applications describing an iPhone-based system to collect and analyze data from wearable and other types of accessory sensors, reports AppleInsider. Under the system, the iPhone could then track the owner's activity and respond with appropriate notifications and changes in the device settings.

One patent application, "Method and apparatus for automatically setting alarms and notifications," describes a method of associating motion data with a set of alarms. In this described invention, the iPhone could detect whether a user is sleeping or awake and adjust the settings for features such as "Do Not Disturb," for example. These motion data points may be collected from a device that is worn by the user.

[​IMG]
    In a second patent application, "Method and apparatus for automatically repeating alarms and notifications in response to device motion", Apple proposes methods to control the timing of notifications that are delivered to an iPhone owner. In this invention, the iPhone can use sensor data to determine when a user is napping and can turn off all notifications until the owner is awake and moving again.

A final patent application, "Method and Apparatus For Personal Characterization Data Collection Using Sensors," describes how an iPhone-driven system could detect a user's activity level from "motion sensors, location sensors, ambient light sensors, and the like." This sensor-based data may be used to create a "personal scorecard" that compares your activity level to others in a group.
    As with many patent applications, these inventions may or may not be incorporated into consumer-level products. In this case though, these methods align with Apple's rumored iWatch device, which is expected to ship with a variety of sensors to measure basic health and fitness parameters. Apple also recently announced a new Health app and HealthKit API that allows for the aggregation of health and fitness data from apps and wearable devices into a central repository that can provide an overview of a user's relative health.

Article Link: Apple Looks at Using Wearable Sensors to Auto-Adjust iPhone Notifications and Alarms

2. macrumors regular

Lapidus

3. macrumors demi-god

johnnyturbouk

what if you sleep walk! will siri keep trying to talk to me!

4. macrumors 6502a

Fantastic...I can't wait for my watch to accuse me of being lazy :rolleyes:

5. macrumors member

This could be a great feature! If I wake up and am moving around (sensed from the iWatch) before my alarm goes off, don't ring my wake up alarm on my iPhone/iWatch.

Or keep ringing the alarm until you're up and moving around. Could lead to people shaking their wrist quite a bit to get the alarm to go off while still in bed...

6. macrumors 601

Or it could get them to wake up.

7. macrumors 6502a

RightMACatU

What I need from my iPhone is to mute any messages and calls from Sandy when I'm in the proximity of Isabelle :D

8. macrumors member

First thing i noticed ..lol

9. macrumors member

How about silencing the phone when my calendar says I'm busy?

This was a feature in Windows Mobile back in the early 2000s! It was one of the main features I missed when I bought an iPhone and one of the main benefits I received when I switched to Android later.

10. macrumors regular

Macrolido

11. macrumors regular

12. macrumors 68020

13. macrumors 6502

Jeeves.

If Apple does make a watch, I bet it'll tell you if you're done wiping as well.

14. macrumors 6502a

"We have determined based on your number of wipes, and current heart rate you likely have swamp as$".

15. macrumors 603

Armen

Unless that wearable device is comfortable to wear I don't see many people sleeping with it on which defeats the purpose.

Go to sleep, take off your iwatch. iPhone detects no movement for 8 hours, thinks you are dead and dials 911 :p

16. macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

17. macrumors 6502

I second this!!

18. macrumors 6502

yeap....what about the IOS6 UI - looks dated as hell now!

19. macrumors 601

macduke

Would be funny if restless sleepers kept getting alerts—making them even more restless.

20. macrumors 6502

Why not put a camera on it so you can see! :)

21. autrefois, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

macrumors 65816

autrefois

Just how precise are these features going to be? Will they detect and analyze other things you're doing in the bedroom that you wouldn't want to be disturbed for...? :eek: :)

22. macrumors newbie

Seriously, they're talking about setting adjustments based on motion from a device that doesn't exist yet, yet they haven't allowed for simple auto-setting adjustments based on location or time (other than do not disturb).

How about auto-silencing my phone when you know I'm at work, in a church, movie theater, etc.?

Would like to see that opened up more.

23. macrumors 6502

I think you are confusing dated with unambiguous.

24. macrumors 68040

the8thark

25. macrumors regular

Yessssss, sleep tracking. Some of you are probably afraid of Apple knowing when we're all sleeping, and hey, I get that. In my opinion, sleep tracking is what puts the Jawbone Up still ahead of the rest of the activity trackers even though it's several years old at this point.

Sleep tracking needs to be involved if I'm going to get a wearable Apple device.