Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digital.l0gic

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
PJ_12_09_17_tablet_News_report_02.png

In a report released yesterday, the Pew Internet & American Life Project puts ownership of tablet computing devices at 25 percent among American adults. This breaks down almost evenly into "iPads" and "everything else," with 52 percent of tablet owners using an Apple device and 48 percent with some flavor of Android-powered tablet. The growth in tablet ownership over the last year has been tremendous, with the study pointing out that 68 percent of tablet-owning adults have purchased their device within the past twelve months.

The 2011 numbers painted a very iPad-centric picture, with Apple grabbing about 80 percent of the market, so the recent swing toward Android is significant. The Pew Research Center, which sponsored the study, speculates that the large jump in the number of available Android devices in the past year has driven adoption tremendously; it also points out that the survey results were finalized prior to the public release of Google's Nexus 7 or Amazon's new Kindle Fire HD, so the reality might be even more Android-y.

The 2011 numbers painted a very iPad-centric picture, with Apple grabbing about 80 percent of the market, so the recent swing toward Android is significant. The Pew Research Center, which sponsored the study, speculates that the large jump in the number of available Android devices in the past year has driven adoption tremendously; it also points out that the survey results were finalized prior to the public release of Google's Nexus 7 or Amazon's new Kindle Fire HD, so the reality might be even more Android-y.

more here
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/study-shows-25-of-americans-own-a-tablet/

I'm Shocked at how fast Android caught up in the tablet arena. Whats even more amazing is that this date s from pre-nexus 7 release time. I can only imagine what the nexus 7 and the new kindle sales must have done to the marketshare.

I might be wrong, but this seems to be the largest marketshare loss(for one year) by Apple in its history(correct me if I'm wrong).

Google really has a steamroller in the form of Android.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
How many would have purchased an iPad? I think this would only be a very small percentage.

I don't see the projected sales of the iPad being affected. I think that's the only thing Apple is concerned about.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It means the market for tablets is growing. It inevitable as it grows that Apples market share will fall, however that doesn't mean Apples sales are falling, indeed they are selling more than when they had the market to themselves. So no this is not news, it's just economical sense being bent into meaning something that it doesn't...

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Link bait drivel.

Why? Apple moved something like 43 million iPads as of Q3 2012.

I'd like for someone, anyone, to show actual tablet sales figues that come close to substantiating what is being suggested.

That's one.

And two, there's a reasoning issue with saying Apple "lost" share considering the tablet market is growing, and iPad sales havent come close to being eroded by the competition.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
It was bound to happen.

Apple cannot with the price brackets they're providing for the iPad. It's grown because Android devices can be bought for a lot cheaper, and they get the job done for people. Also, tablets like the Kindle provide a unique service in their ecosystem. I like the rent an e-book feature.

I do think the numbers are a little off since the iPad's marketshare is being compared to multiple manufacturer's, prices and sizes. Perhaps, if there is a report for the 10" tablet marketshare, it would be more fair to compare.

Right now, Apple has 0% shares in the 7" tablet market.

Which leads me to getting curious about the price point Apple will sell the iPad mini when they release it later this fall. Two weeks actually (well, the announcement).

Keep in mind, the iPod touch is priced at $299 for a 32 GB, and $399 for a 64 GB. This thing is not even out yet. It's a little steep for me, but I do like the redesign a lot.

It would be nice if the iPad mini starts at $299 for a 16 GB, $399 for a 32 GB, and $499 for a 64 GB. Realistically, they may price it higher than that by $50-100.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Google really has a steamroller in the form of Android.
I'm sure the iPad going out of business sale will start next week.

I don't understand the "Android must destroy iOS" or the "iOS must destroy Android" arguments. The market is growing. Both can do very well in this market.

I have an Android based tablet. I have an iPad. My backpack doesn't burst into flames when I put both inside.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Lol.

When your prior tablet market share was virtually 100%, obviously when a competitor emerges the only way they can gain share at all is if you lose some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.