Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Awesome!

Now tell carriers there that they can't sell iPhone's in Mexico anymore and let them cross the border to buy in the US.

A few days later you'll see the carriers going crazy about it and it gets solved... somehow... =p
America movil has presence in almost all Latin American countries if they drop the iPhone it's apple's loss, who do you think owns the bloody company?

----------

Greatest cell network ever, best call quality un-imagineable awesome walkie talkie, where else could you press a button and 2-way radio someone from Chicago to Sao Palo with no lag and no wait. Too bad after 911 Dubya Bush dismantled iDEN, and Nextel for that matter. No other phone network even comes close to the call reliability/quality.
You must be insane! Call quality over iDEN sounds like you are calling with the flintstones phone

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
I couldn't find a source for 1994. If you have one I'd love to see it. Motorola dates back to 1996. And the phone was not at all a suitcase phone nor HUGE brick.

The i500...

Cisco IOS (all caps) is the operating system on all their switches and routers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_IOS

apple and cisco got into a battle but apple backed down because they wernt going to win the case so they settled.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
right, because if you had any idea of the real value of a mexican peso you would know that 1 billion pesos is a bit more than 80 million US dollars...

he was making a joke which was kinda funny. Sorry if it offends you

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
This case doesn't make sense.

Surely ifone benifits from increased exposure since iPhone entered the market.

Wouldn't you have to prove loss of earning to sue for damages at all.

Stinks of profiteering to me, I'm not saying apple has the right to go anywhere and use its brand but hey it's a product out of many that they sell apple is the company.

I still don't get how you can trademark a product? Surely you should only be able to trademark a company name, that way you would need to say "company name/product" it would free up a lot of names etc?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Cisco had iOS on their hardware as early as 1994. I can't remember if Motorola had anything on mobile phones back then.. If so, they were the huge bricks that required a briefcase..

BL.

Cisco didn't use iOS they called it IOS.

petey2133

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
I dont enjoy anyone getting sued, but this they had coming.

I have an idea, make something people want, and when they dont want it anymore, make something new?

Stop making up ideas, and when others do it before you say... I thought of it first and sue them, only to launch it a few months later.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Apple deserves a hard slap on the face. I am saying this because they messed up big time since Steve passed away. I used to love apple products...

Apple... what goes around will eventually comes around... stop chasing other companies with patent BS because it will come back to you as well.

Watch Pirates of Silicon Valley, it's dramatised but it still shows Apple have a history of being flat out ripped off by other companies and then losing in court when they try and sue over it.

Renzatic

Suspended
Watch Pirates of Silicon Valley, it's dramatised but it still shows Apple have a history of being flat out ripped off by other companies and then losing in court when they try and sue over it.

I've always felt sorry for Apple. They do nothing but innovate, never harming a soul, or stepping on anyone's toes, while everyone else in the industry picks over their good works like vultures on a carcass.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I've always felt sorry for Apple. They do nothing but innovate, never harming a soul, or stepping on anyone's toes, while everyone else in the industry picks over their good works like vultures on a carcass.

I hear you. :D

macs4nw

macrumors 601
The fact that it's spelled "iFone" and not "Ifone" is clearly an Apple influence, probably from the iPod which was getting popular at that time.....

Agreed, they probably copied it from iMacs and iPods, but it doesn't change anything; the Mexicans still had 'iFone' first.

APPLE argued at the time, that iFone's Mexican Class 38 mark wasn't being actively used. But by suing, to get it cancelled so they could register their own iPhone Class 38 mark, APPLE surely opened a can of worms. Using it or not, by 2009 iFone realized the value of that little i to APPLE, and weren't gonna roll over.

Just the price APPLE has to pay, to have worldwide product-name consistency.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Cisco had iOS on their hardware as early as 1994. I can't remember if Motorola had anything on mobile phones back then.. If so, they were the huge bricks that required a briefcase..

BL.

Err… Cisco had IOS, not iOS; there is a small distinction though it's a big one.

IOS = Internetwork Operating System
iOS = iPhone Operating System

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.