Apple Lossless over AirPlay?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by MoodyM, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I have my Mac Mini's iTunes library loaded with Apple Lossless albums (ripped from CD).

The Mac Mini is a 2011 model.

I have a Pioneer X-SMC3-K, which supports AirPlay.

My question is, am I getting ALAC quality from the Pioneer when streaming over AirPlay from the Mac Mini, even though the Pioneer doesn't natively support ALAC?

2. macrumors 6502

I believe all Airplay streams are actually encoded and transmitted in ALAC, be they mp3, AAC, ALAC or AIFF in origin (obviously the AAC and mp3 streams are only as good as the source file, but there is no further degradation in the streaming process). So yes, you're getting ALAC quality streams on your receiver. The Airplay software implementation on the reciever does the decoding.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Cool, thanks. I wonder why the Pioneer won't play ALAC via USB, etc, then, if the decoder is already built in?

4. macrumors 68040

MCAsan

Just got a Marantz Mcr603 receiver and set up Airplay for the built in speakers in the living room and dining room. With my Mac I can stream Christmas music to the Marantz and to the Altec inAir 5000 speakers in the kitchen. :D