Apple Lowers iPhone Orders Ahead of Next Generation iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Digitimes claims that Taiwan-based PCB (printed circuit board) supplies have cut their quotes by 10% for the quarter based on a decrease of orders by Apple.
    These companies reportedly supply parts for iPads and iPhones and expect orders to pick up significantly due to the expected launch of the next generation iPhone ("iPhone 4S") in the 3rd calendar quarter.

The lower demand is presumably related to the iPhone 4 which was released last year. By all accounts, demand for the iPad 2 remains high with another report indicating that Apple is expecting continue sales growth in the 3rd quarter for the iPad.

Article Link: Decline in iPhone Orders Ahead of Next Generation iPhone?

2. macrumors 68030

The next iPhone better be amazing since they're taking an extra 3 months to release it.

It was kinda cool seeing a new iPhone every summer... will it have a Fall release every year from now on?

3. macrumors regular

There is a lot of competition,especially in the much cheaper segment that cannot afford or will not just buy an expensive iphone....
    Apple could slash its prices somewhat, but it has been an ios marketing driven company for too long now.

4. macrumors newbie

I think they're looking to consolidate September releases for major mobile hardware (all iPod models, iPhone, and possible iPad in the future (maybe not this year)) and keep June WWDC for all the big software changes.

5. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I can see it now. Introducing the iPhone 4S. Now faster than ever featuring the A5 and an 8mp camera.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. macrumors 68020

Fall = mobiles and ios
    July = macs and os x

7. macrumors regular

Hoping to be wowed by the next gen iPhone, but the 4 itself is a beautiful design. Can't imagine how they will improve it. But it's apple so who knows :cool:

8. macrumors 6502a

As long as they fixed the proximity sensor, Im getting it regardless of how big an upgrade it is. I love the design, so I hope they keep it for a while.

9. macrumors newbie

Please have a 4inch edge to edge screeeeeen!

...To me its more important than speed/camera bump.

In the words of John Lennon, don't let me down.

10. macrumors member

I got a heart attack cos I thought that was the actual iPhone 5/4S !!! It looks so different.

11. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not... :D

12. macrumors member

Thats all I want. I LOVE the current iP4 design a lot !!

13. macrumors newbie

:D Love it!

14. macrumors 6502a

Android phones have great hardware but not a great OS to support it. Its apps are unpolished and hardly any app takes advantage of the dual-core CPU present in the recent phones. Apple on the other hand has been about the software. Polished OS, great apps makes it a great phone. This combined with dual-core Apple A5, more RAM and better camera will only make it better. Can't wait!:apple:

15. macrumors 6502a

PlipPlop

It will be interesting to see how inferior the iphone 5 will be to the top Android phones when it gets released.

16. macrumors 6502

WHy on earth would they want to do this? Do they really think people would drop thousands on all these devices at the same time? Spreading them out over the year was a much better idea as more people would buy them on release. Aside from that, the use of common parts between them makes it a terrible idea, unless they forsee a significant decrease in demand for the products or increase in supply of parts. I really see no reason to sync all of these releases, and no real need to change them except maybe to move the ipad to (shortly) before christmas.

17. macrumors regular

d0minick

What does Android have to do with anything in the article?

We all are excited for the upgraded phone. That is why we are here. Android is great, no need to bash it or even bring it up.

18. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Agreed 100%, but I'll be upgrading either way, and passing my current iPhone 4 along to my mother.

19. macrumors 6502a

I meant to say the iPhone will match the competition (android) in both software and hardware. I'm not bashing Android.

20. macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Naturally. Many carriers in Spain have stopped offering them because of the low stock.

21. macrumors 68030

I'm hoping whatever the next iPhone will be... that they make it for Verizon as well. It will be my first iPhone and I'm on Verizon.

It looks like they are moving iPhones to the Fall... is there any chance the next iPhone won't be on Verizon? After all... Verizon just got the iPhone in February.

I don't wanna wait any longer... but I really don't wanna buy an iPhone 4 if the next one is just around the corner.

22. macrumors 6502

23. macrumors 65816

You do realize that even in the US, where iPhones are widely regarded as being expensive, there is a $49 model 3GS on AT&T right? Or is your definition of "much cheaper segment" less than $49?

24. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Extra 3 months? Did i miss the press release saying so?

25. macrumors regular

There are a lot of countries where the iphone is a very expensive phone, with or without subsidies. Subsidised phones also tend to have "special" contracts that recover the subsidised sum twofold :)
    Android phones have great hardware, their os is not something to worry apple YET, but you can get a decent hardware spec on an android phone much cheaper than apple..