Apple Lucky Bags on ebay.co.uk...a good idea??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adaminpompey, Nov 25, 2004.

1. adaminpompey macrumors newbie

Hello all--

With the London Apple Store opening last weekend there are a few 'lucky bags' on eBay now. They all basically have the same stuff in them, although some seem to have an iSight instead of JBL speakers. the iSight bags seem like a better deal...

I'm thinking about bidding on one of the lucky bags....but want to know what everyone else thinks. They seem like a steal of a deal (supposedly £700+ worth of Apple goodies going for around £300 :) ) and it'd be nice for Christmas, but it's still a lot of money.

any thoughts? would it be worth it?

cheers

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have one, tho I camped out for it, and considered Ebaying it (would have been the first one on) before I took the goodies out of the bag and stared at them for too long. My mother wants the Express, I quite fancy the iSight and I might put the BT keyboard/mouse/software on Ebay later since I don't think I'll need them.

If you need either the Express or the iSight (at £220 retail), then an extra £80 for the other stuff is a good deal. If you have .Mac already you can use the included one to extend your subscription. Just be sure that the 10% card is definitely in it (they all had that in) and you'll be laughing next time you need to buy a new Mac. There's no cash limit on the 10% and it has no expiry date - tho you can only use it once.

3. Floop macrumors regular

On the subject of the 10% discount card from the London Lucky bags...

...has anyone figured out whether this really does stack with the Education discount? So can you get both?

Floop

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Hmm, the card says it can't be used in conjunction with any other offer and it can only be used in Regent St. But past experience of those with previous cards, with the same conditions, have said they were able to use them in different stores and with additional offers.

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I think it's generally at the manager's discretion, but most of the time they dont really mind...

for example, i went in the other day, I told him what I wanted to order (about £1500 worth of stuff) and he was like 'OK, but i'll give you my card and just see me next time and i'll authorise it for you, so you can use both'

Just catch the manager when he's in a good mood ;)

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'd have thought that those who camped all night for a goody bag, just to put them on ebay for £300 would be mad. They could easily go for £600-700 since that's the value of BRAND NEW stock they have in them. Otherwise, it would be worth keeping some of the stuff you want/need and trying to get the original £249 back from selling the rest. That cold night of camping had to be worth something.. :p

This is why I'd be sceptical about buying one of these on ebay. I haven't had a look at how much they'd be going for, but I'd have thought they'd either have things missing or end up going for around £700. Otherwise the seller might as well just sell all the other stuff as brand new separately - and get roughly retail prices back on them.

7. FireArse macrumors 6502a

I aint so sure.....

With regards to using the 10% off card with the Student Discount in the retail store, i aint sure they give multiple discounts.....Im going to buy a 2GHz G5 with a 23" screen, and if you seriously can get both discounts together, fancy a quick trip to Regents Street anytime soon?! :)

i think i briiefly bumped into you in the queue on Friday night, i was roughly 140 in the queue. Cant believe its been a week, it was soooo much fun!!

FireArse

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

It was - the camaraderie and sheer fun of doing something slightly mad. And the 'high' of going into the store even if partly brought on by exhaustion, too much caffeine and the sudden warmth was well worth it.

I think there are a few lucky bags on eBay from non-Mac people who wanted an iPod and assumed eBay would be the way to go on the rest. When so few had iPods, I think a lot of those decided to cut their losses and put their bags up before a market rate had been reached, assuming it would go higher than it is currently.

9. adaminpompey thread starter macrumors newbie

JBL speakers or iSight?

Yeah i agree with the earlier post -- for someone to spend all that time in the queue, only to sell the bag on ebay.co.uk? Seems a bit crazy!! Which is why i'm being careful about buying one.

Yes, there is a risk that some people might have taken things out of the lucky bag. Most of the adverts on ebay have a list of the actual contents of the bag that you're bidding on, which is good, and a few show that everything is still sealed and unopened.

Some of the sellers promise that they haven't actually opened the Lucky Bag at all, and that some kind of tag on the bag proves it's still sealed and unopened. Can that be true?? For those of you who have the Lucky Bags, were they sealed shut?? There is one ad in German that is listed this way that seems especially dodgy.

Also, what do people reckon is a better value, a lucky bag with an iSight in it or JBL speakers? I'm leaning iSight myself, but have to decide soon as a lot of the lucky bags on ebay.co.uk have already sold!! eeek!

10. Floop macrumors regular

Well, my brother got an iSight and I got JBL OnTour speakers.

At first I was disappointed, as I would have liked a webcam, especially a nice Apple one, and added to this, the iSight retails for about £50 more than the JBL On Tour speakers. Also the JBL Speakers appeared to be stock that wasn't selling and they were therefore trying to shift.

HOWEVER on reflection, I think I was way off base here. I have tried the JBL speakers and they give damn good quality sound, and when coupled with my iPod will probably be FAR more useful than an iSight ever would. iSight is a nice geeky toy, but how many people will I actually video chat with in the next two years? Probably my brother, as he is the only other person I know who uses an AIM or iChat service and has a webcam...

Floop

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

There is a tag on the bag that says 'Apple Store Regent Street' but, mine is still 'sealed' with this (it goes through the handles) and it's empty at the moment. You can get everything in and out of the bag without removing the 'seal'