Apple Mac mini: A Tiny, Power-Sipping Mac

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 11, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A little late on the review there PC Mag. It needs an update already. :rolleyes:

I might trade in my laptop for a Santa Rosa Mac mini.

3. Guest

liberty4all

Yea, where's the 802.11n already!? Bluetooth 2.1 also please.

Faster FireWire like 3200 would be a real treat...

4. macrumors regular

I'm glad this review makes a nod to energy efficiency in computing. Kudos to them.

5. macrumors G3

bigandy

Maybe they'll give away free sharks with frickin' lasers, too.

[​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, this review is late. and a Santa Rosa Mini would be great, but i don't know if i'd trade in my laptop (referring to your santa rosa macbook, i'm assuming)?

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You are correct. I love taking my laptop around though. I'm taking it for a presentation tomorrow at my Mac User Group. :mad:

8. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I think PCMag's overstating the energy benefits. The Mac Mini eats up 110W at max speed - add a 20-inch Cinema Display and we're talking 175W, which isn't that much lower than the 200W used by a 20-inch aluminum iMac.

Furthermore, I'm guessing all Apple laptops use less juice than the Mac Mini - doesn't the Macbook run on 60W? (I'm basing this off the adapter rating.)

9. macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well as you said, 110W is the maximum. Most of the time it won't touch that rating (I'm assuming).

One thing I don't understand is how 1 GB standard is listed as a con. Sure in the high-end 20" and 24" iMac, 2 GB standard makes a lot of sense, but in this tiny computer that is likely to be barely pushed, no way. Keep the price down and only offer 1 GB as standard for now. Maybe get rid of the Combo/ SuperDrive split (it's not the year 2002 anymore ;)), and have 1 GB/ 2 GB (as well as the processor) as the split if necessary.