Apple/Mac PDA

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by agntsaint, Jul 16, 2002.

1. agntsaint macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2002

Although this is my first posting I hope you all don't think this is a really stupid question.

I was reading through a number of postings and so many individuals has some very interesting insights to products and hot news. What better place to ask a question.........

Any word or idea that Apple/Mac is in developement or plans to come out with their own version of a PDA? Any thoughts or insights you all might have would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you for your time and assistance with this question.
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: Apple/Mac PDA

No there isn't. steve jobs has publically said is a bad market to be in (that doesn't mean it can't happen, but it seems unlikely), and he's right. The PDA market is a great place for a company to lose a bunch of money because its a saturated market and PDA's are really quite useless for the majority of people. Why do people want an apple PDA. I don't get it. It either would have to run palm (in whcih acse its not relaly any different than what you can buy today), or they have to come up witht their own OS (whcih means there's no software available for it). I've never understood why people want such a thing.
  3. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    Apple is not going to make a PDA, at least not right now. At most I see expanded funtionality for the iPod.

PS. Some people really hate this idea and it comes up a lot, so you might catch a lot of flack for it. Don't sweet it if you get flamed, its all in good fun.;)
  4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i've had a change of heart over this time i've been away...

an apple pda would be nice if it was made:
    at least 256 color display
    a slimmed-down version of OS X
    was like the ipod to the next level (ie:mp3s, mp4s, quicktime....)

but the chances of this happening are about 1 in 500 million, plus the price tag would be way too high and i would rather get an ibook

so it would not even be worth it for apple to make
  5. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Re: Re: Apple/Mac PDA

talk abuot irony. I say this and today I was given a Palm Pilot for some stuff I did at work. Now I have to figure out what to do with it.
  6. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    Apple/Mac PDA

well, you can give it to me
  7. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

Jul 27, 2001
    10 Minutes from Disneyland
    e-mail me and i'll givee you some good servers to get books from....that's about all i use my Palm for anymore, it's a great little brodible Bible too
  8. matthewyellis macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2002
    I expect Apple to release a new device. My best guess is something in the computer tablet arena, maybe more like a perfect balance between the functionality of a laptop and the portability of a PDA. For my guess to work in the real world, the device would have to run OS X and connect wirelessly with desktop and laptop systems. I am not convinced it will happen, but I am almost sure Apple could do it right and make some good money.