Apple Mac Quadra 650

Discussion in 'Community' started by O'Mac, Jun 23, 2004.

1. O'Mac macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have just bought an old Apple Mac Quadra 650 for £5 off a guy who was chucking it out. The machine itself was working, but the CD drive was not so I unscrewed the top and removed it. It was a simple fault with the CD Rom - there was a loose connection. I reconnected it and the drive worked but now when I switch on the machine a disc with a cross through it appears on screen, which apparently means I need to insert an original start-up disc - something I've not got... Has any one any idea what system a Quadra 650 would run and where I could get hold of the system software to load it? I can't imagine such old software is worth a lot, but I can't get hold of any old Apple Macintosh Software. A guy at school gave me a load of Apple System 7 disc he had found in his house when he moved in, but the Quadra says it needs more advanced software than this to run so I'm stuck!

If anyone can help, leave a message or email me on:

oneill@tropicalstorm.com

Regards, Tom

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I have a lot of discs for "Classic" macs, f ur interested PM me

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I have a couple sets of OS8 CD's, but im thinking you're in the UK... might be a little more of a pain to get them to you.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

The Quadra 650 runs any operating system from 7.1 to 8.1. Not a very big range, I know.

Credit where it's due

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Best bet for that system is 7.1 or 7.5...depending on ram

6. EminenceGrise macrumors member

You can download the System Software versions 6.0.8-7.5.5 from Apple (for free). Use this page to get started:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

System 7.1 is the oldest version you can use, and you will also need the System Enabler 040 file for that. Your best bet is System 7.5.5 - you will need to download 7.5.3 and use the update to get to 7.5.5. You can also get the updates for Open Transport which improves the networking components (recommended), along with a few other goodies on that page if you look around a bit. I don't know if you can put 7.5.3 on a cd (and boot from it) or not. There should be a Network Access floppy somewhere on the same page that has a stripped down system on it to fit on a 1.4MB floppy - you can use that and put the 7.5.3 folder on another machine on the network and install it that way (which I've done before, but a few years back now). This assumes that you have another machine on the network running Appletalk (and supports the older AFP protocols - I'm not sure Mac OS X will work for this or not...), and also a supported (read: Apple) ethernet card, or the AUII-15 transceiver for the built in ethernet. For System 7.6 or newer (up to 8.1) you will need an install CD (no free download), but any updates (like 8.0 -> 8.1) can be had from the same page.

The text files listed with the downloads should describe each download and help get you started.