Apple Mac Shops - Trustworthy Retailer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Etrain, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Has anyone here ever heard of this store called Apple Mac Shops?

Their prices are amazingly low! They claim all their products are new and not refurbished. Has anyone ever heard of them?

2. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

I haven't, but it'll be very interesting to see whether or not they are a legitimate retailer. Could save me a hunk of money..

3. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

It just screams SCAM. It seems very similar to the scams detailed in the Fraudulent Mac Retailers thread.

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Is it easy for someone to check it out?

445 Sequoia
    Suite 138
    Bellingham, WA 98226
    United States

Or perhaps someone cleverer than me can find out about their web address.

BTW a lot of the links on their web site don't work. Very strange.....

I don't think I'd even touch them with a dirty stick

5. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

That's what I'm thinking...

6. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Also nowhere on there site do they say that there an Authorised Apple Reseller, yet they say that the machines come with the standard 1 year Apple Warranty. I thought that unless you purchased from an Authorised reseller then you didn't get a warranty? I could be wrong on that one, but still it seems too good to be true, therefore it probabily is.

7. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I ran a check on the BBB with the phone number and came up with this link. http://www.thebbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=22013372 and http://www.thebbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=22011513

They have two different companies listed, one established Feb. 2005, and the other in Dec. 2004. The Dec. 2004 has an unsatisfactory record.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to an unanswered complaint.

Additional File Information

According to information in the Bureau files, it appears that the company is no longer in business. Directory assistance does not have a listing for this company. The Bureau's mail to this company has been returned as undeliverable. If you have an unresolved dispute with this company you may wish to seek legal advice.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

With advertised sales at $300 under MAP and no listing on Apple's Reseller page in the 98226 Zip it'll probably signal a scam.

And looking at a Aerial photo of 445 Sequoia Dr, Bellingham, WA 98226, didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy either.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There was a very dodgy seller in Vancouver, BC which is just over the border from Bellingham that ripped a lot of people off. It makes me wonder if this isn't the same people just doing business on this side of the border. I wouldn't buy from them, that's for sure.

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

Administrative Info:
    Apple Mac Shop
    Tarvis Forbes
    445 Sequoia
    Bellingham, WA 98226
    US
    Phone: +1.3608518751
    Fax..: +1.3608518747
    Email: info@applemacshops.com

Technical Info:
    Apple Mac Shop
    Tarvis Forbes
    445 Sequoia
    Bellingham, WA 98226
    US

Billing Info:
    Apple Mac Shop
    Tarvis Forbes
    445 Sequoia
    Bellingham, WA 98226
    US

Domain servers in listed order:

ns1.meganameservers.com
    ns2.meganameservers.com
    ns3.meganameservers.com

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK, I looked up a whole bunch of stuff (below) but here's the jackpot once I hit on the connection with fastmacsales.com. One of their own press releases specifically links applemacshop with fastmacsales (besides, they list the same address :D ):

Google Search results - check the information at this link
    "Applemacshops is a SCAM at ResellerRatings
    ... It is the same scam as fastmacsales.com, macgurushop.com, mac-discounter.com,
    macfanaticshop.com, and probably some others I don't know about. ..."
    www.resellerratings.com/forum/t112504.html

www.applemacshops.com (216.251.43.17)
    fastmacsales.com = 216.251.32.98
    macgurushop.com = 216.251.43.17
    mac-discounter.com = 216.251.43.17

Remember the last two ones, gang? Looks like theeyre baaack....
    Mods: Can we have a decision on making this a sticky and/or locking it?

More....

David Collins
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    (360) 851-8751
    david@mac-discounter.com
    www.mac-discounter.com

Jill Weeper
    Sales & Marketing Director
    (360) 851-8751
    info@applemacshops.com
    www.applemacshops.com

Other names in "Press releases"

Scott
    Joyce McDee, chief administrative officer.

-----------------------

The only Whitepages.com listing for that address is a machine shop in suite 113. Looks like a typical industrial park, not out of the ordinary for an online business to locate in.

A reverse phone lookup on 360-851-8751 is inconclusive, because its a number assigned to a private telco, perhaps a cell phone or an IP-based phone service.

However this should give one pause

applemacshops.com - registered 24-feb-2005

while on the website it says "est. 1995"

The BBB of Western Washington has another firm listed under the same address

Fast Mac Sales
    445 Sequoia Ste 138
    Bellingham, WA 98226
    (360) 851-8751
    Their first record is also Feb 2005

www.fastmacsales.com/
    apparently a blank page entitled "Home of the Discount Mac Computer" - digging in, the pages that can be accessed are a clone of the applemacshop.com site

Domain name: FASTMACSALES.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Mac, Fast info@fastmacsales.com
    445 Sequoia
    Suite 138
    Bellingham, WA 98226
    US
    (360) 851-8751
    Registered Nov. 2004

LOL - look at this one - its one of the "Make your own press release" sites that publishes anything.
    http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/1/prweb199246.htm

They actually typed in "Fast Mac Scam..." in the title instead of Fast Mac Sales... :eek: :D
    Janice Mezza
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    (306) 851-8751
    e-mail protected from spam bots
    http://www.fastmacsails.com
    and then misspelled their URL. :eek: . This may even be an inspired piece of guerilla revenge by someone else.

On their FAQ's they talk about being able to pick up your order at "our Alpharetta warehouse". As in, Alpharetta, Georgia, about, what, 3000 miles away from Bellingham? How's your memory: did any other Mac online discount shops operate out of Alpharetta GA?

Also: they charge 15% restocking fee and customer pays shipping on all returns, including defective returns. This means if the iMac G5 doesn't work or is substandard, and you want your money back, you'll be out nearly $ 300

Orders cancelled before they ship incur a 5% penalty +$10 service charge

They could make a lot of money by never delivering a thing...

They say their website is maintained by outside contractors and they are not responsible for errors (including mismatched pictures with items, and, presumably, advertised prices that are too low)

They give a 3% discount for wire transfers. Of course, most wire transfers cannot be cancelled or retracted by the bank after they are sent.

12. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

Wow! I am glad I posted this before I bought from them. Thank you all so much!

13. wolfram macrumors newbie

yes it is a scam

Hi,
    I was the one who posted the initial thread on resellerratings.com

It is the same scam as
    fastmacsales, macgurushop, mac-discounter, macfanaticshop, etc.

No doubt about it.

macgurushop was supposed to be located in Alpharetta Ga.

..wolf

14. kanker macrumors 6502

Yeah, just one glance at the front page was all I needed to see that it's the same guys in the Fraudulent thread. Every other bit of info in this thread was just confirmation of the obvious to those of us who have been watching these folks for the last couple of years.

Apple does not discount in production retail stuff (not including education and so forth), and Apple does not allow it's retailers to either.

15. gearbin macrumors newbie

applemacshops is a legit company!!!!!!

I paid for a ibook 14" 3 weeks ago and just received it this past monday. Was a little worried, but apple mac shop came thru. ibook is new as described on the web sight. I have a tracking number that I can send to other concerned customers that may be questioning the company.

16. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Sorry, Gearbin- no way !!! This is macfanaticshop, macwhiz, etc. etc.... It's a scam... Don't buy from them...

Note: Now comes the part where he threatens me with slander, followed by the part where I inform him he has to have a legitimate business for me to slander... ( Thought I'd get that out of the way early this time around...;-)...

17. wolfram macrumors newbie

it's Lawmanca again

Hey, this guy is so predictable.
    Remember Lawmanca from the fraudulent mac retailers thread?

He recently posted on resellerratings.com almost word for word using the name petelow. It's kind of funny.

infact, he is using the name Scott Griffin. That's the same name he used for macfanaticshop.com

wolf

18. Etrain thread starter macrumors 6502

Etrain

19. gearbin macrumors newbie

My Bad!

I'm sorry, I was posting about Applemacshop.com (no 's' at the end) They are located in the UK. They are definitely legit.

I checked out Applemacshops.com and they do look to be a scam. I faxed my credit card info and they said it was declined. In the e-mail was info on transferring money by wire.

Looks quite fishy to me.

20. gearbinx macrumors newbie

Applemacshops is a real company!!!

I paid for a ibook 14" 3 weeks ago and just received it this past monday. Was a little worried, but apple mac shop came thru. ibook is new as described on the web sight. I have a tracking number that I can send to other concerned customers that may be questioning the company.

you can contact me directly at:

wolframite2000@yahoo.com

21. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

LOL... Liar... people, don't give this guy and his criminal pals your hard earned money...Too risky, buy from Apple, or someone you know..

22. gearbinx macrumors newbie

liar, liar pants on fire

jemeinc:

you're the damn liar. you saying not buy from anyone but Apple?
    what do you work for Apple or own stock? get out of here with your nonsense!

:mad:

23. wolfram macrumors newbie

Hey,
    That e-mail address (wolframite2000) was a fake one I feed the scammer on another forum board.

It doesn't belong to gearbinx. I pretended it was mine.

So you have to ask yourself. How does gearbinx know about the fake e-mail I sent to the scammer freddeans on the other board?

wolf.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Time to shut down the thread now that newbies are spamming the thread with false pro-site posts... especially when they don't bother to change the wording when making a new account.

Good guys... bad guys... and repeat... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.