Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive ok for the iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andychris02, Jan 21, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I want to buy an external dvd drive for my iMac just to have as a spare and so I can use for DVD reading when playing games and watching movies and I was wondering if the new Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive would be useable with the iMac?

I had a look at it on the Apple store site and there was nothing to say that it wouldn't work but I was just wondering if anyone knew otherwise.

Thanks for your time.

2. macrumors member

Looks to me that the Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive will only work with the Air.. Something about the power from 1 USB cable not 2 like other drives out there. But it has yet to be confirmed... So its anyones guess...

3. macrumors 68000

MacSA

I really don't understand Apple sometimes. This external DVD burner would have been a great accessory for the Macs that still sell with a combodrive. Instead people who want to burn DVD's are forced to buy third party products. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors regular

ascham87

I see it only being MBA compatible because getting the power it needs from 1 USB port is somewhat of a feat. I think that's crazy and probably accomplished via magic only found in the Air :D

5. macrumors regular

Someone talked about using a powered external usb hub.