Apple MacBook in May?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 3, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Thinksecret reiterates that the long awaited Intel-version of the Apple iBook, which has come to be known as the "MacBook" is still expected in May.

We have kept track of all rumors surrounding the upcoming Intel iBook in our Guide pages.

In summary, one of the earliest reports did claim that the upcoming Intel iBook would house a 13" form-factor and be expected in April-May of 2006. Followup rumors suggested that the screen would be 13.3" and offer a 1280x720 resolution screen.

While some expected the new computer to appear at Macworld in January, only the MacBook Pro and Intel iMac were released at that time. Overall, many features of the MacBook are expected to be comparable to the MacBook Pro, with the inclusion of iSight, Front Row, Photo Booth, and MagSafe. Finally there have been suggestions of a significant redesign for the iBook-replacement with the possibility of the reintroduction of color choices.

2. macrumors 65816

yoda13

Come on black and dedicated graphics chipset....:D

3. macrumors 68000

4God

Well, it's about time. :rolleyes: I think we've waited long enough.

4. macrumors 6502

rxse7en

I'll take one. After I get my 17"er with Merom and sell off my Pismos and AL 'book! :D

5. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Wow thinksecret is really milking this thing, eh?

6. macrumors member

gropo

MacBook?

I find that re-branding highly unlikely... Why would Apple work against the 'iPod branding halo' by changing the name of their entry-level notebooks?

7. macrumors member

If it were announced this month, what are the chances it would be shipping immediately?

8. macrumors member

i only wish they'll look like powerbook :D

9. macrumors 6502

I've been wanting a new laptop for ages, to replace my old TiBook, the sooner the better, as long as it has a long battery life and independant graphics. To use a quote I once saw on these forums:

My credit card just leapt out of my wallet like a spawning salmon.

10. macrumors regular

firsttube

Agreed

They're going to keep the iBook name. There might be some macbook 13" too, but they're going to keep iBook for the consumer notebook. Mark my words, or I'll eat something gross or something. :D

11. macrumors member

mmm...powerbook - macbook pro ring a bell? very unlikely they would change the name of the iBook...

12. macrumors 6502a

KindredMAC

Come on Apple....
    I've got $400 on an Apple Gift Card waiting and will be getting at least another $300 total next week for my birthday. Give me a $999 model and it will be ordered on the day it comes out!!!!!!

13. macrumors 68000

4God

Hmmm.... good point, never thought of that. But maybe they're thinking that with iLife, (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto and iWeb) that rebranding the hardware won't really matter. There would still be that cool relationship with the popular software.

14. mpw

Flash of inspiration, (and like all good flashes there's sure to be a good reason why it obviously isn't workable) maybe the move to having Mac in the name of all hardware products running OSX is so the 'i' brand can be fully cross platform. The iPod already is so Apple would just release iLife for Windows and of course the iPhone will sync with both OSs. What do you think am iRight?

15. macrumors 6502

I don't think there's a possible way for them to have dedicated graphics in the MacBook, particularly if it consolidates the iBook and 12" PowerBook lines. Look at it this way - the education/home market is a huge part of Apple's business. HUGE. In order to hit that market, they're going to have to be in the $1000 or less price range.

Now, if they include decent dedicated graphics, you're looking at something that gets closer to the MBP, for about 1/2 the price. The lowest-end mobile ATI X300 is a pretty darned good card in my book, and Apple would have a hard time convincing people other than hardcore users - think kids, grandma, aunt & uncle - that the X1600 + 2" more of real estate is worth $1000. We know the difference; they target market doesn't. And the difference between crappy dedicated graphics and the Intel solution isn't that big to warrant the extra cost.

In using integrated, they are clearly segmenting the market and forcing people to make the jump to the MBP if they want something that does dedicated graphics.

16. macrumors member

The high end macbook is a Macbook Pro, too.

I think the most reliable rumor surrounding this introduction is that the Macbook will replace both the current iBook and 12" Powerbook computers. There was WAY too many similarities between the iBook and the 12" Powerbook to justify the higher Powerbook cost for many consumers (myself among them).

With that said, don't worry about integrated graphics! There will surely be multiple configurations, and if there are, the high end one will surely have dedicated graphics to attract Prosumers with mobility on their mind.

My guess is that we will be getting pretty close to the computer we have been wanting from Apple in a 13" widescreen, it just may cost a little more than we were hoping (ie $1400-$1500). As with everything else, if you're willing to spend the cash, you'll get what you want.

Peace!

17. macrumors newbie

all this is great, except for one thing...

the built-in iSight means almost anyone who works in a secure area, such as a military base, defense contractor, even many ad agencies will NOT be allowed to have one on the premises.

My office has a strict no-cameras policy, even cell phone cameras are not allowed.

18. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Not again...:mad:

So we continue our intel iBook saga with yet another rumor.
    I have been waiting almost a year for this, but somewhere in February I lost all confidence in these sort of rumors.

I will believe it when I see it on the Apple site, or when Steve Jobs comes to deliver it to me personally.:rolleyes:

These are the only two situations I will believe it is finally there.

19. macrumors 65816

People know iPod because of the market buzz it has achieved (it truly has become part of the vernacular), they are starting to know Mac then ever before, they don't really know iBook (Mac is far more known then iBook).

Apple is heading to leverage "Mac" as its computer branding... so expect a rebrand of any computer that doesn't contain "Mac" in the name.

20. macrumors 6502a

apple's kind of screwed here with merom chips coming august now. it's either release the macbook with the dual-core yonahs and hope it doesn't eat to much in to the pro sales (or piss off people who just plunked down $2000 for a pro machine). or release a single core now that will get trounced by other $1000 notebooks and go dual-core in august.

i'm guessing they're holding off as long as possible so they can go dual core.

hang on to your hats mac people, after years of processor stagnation it looks like we're about to enter a period of expedited "obsolescence". the macbook pro you bought 6 months ago will be available as a macbook for $1000 less and a new pro will be available with 40% performance increase.

i guess it's a good problem to have, but you better believe there's going to be a deluge of whiny "but i just bought X when i could have waited and bought Y for less"

21. macrumors 6502a

kresh

I don't think there's a snowballs chance for there to be dedicated graphics, and not the Intelgrated graphics like the Mini.

Its going to be one of the big differentiators between the new iBook/MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

22. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

That never stopped the producers of cellphones, if you were hoping that Apple releases a seperate model without iSight
    Is an integrated microphone allowed

One more thing: Apple is very strict on secrecy, so do THEY allow integrated cameras for their workers???:rolleyes: :D

23. macrumors G5

nagromme

For my needs, 13" widescreen, dual cores, and GPU with VRAM, would be great!

For masses of other shoppers, 13" with single core and integrated graphics, at a low price point, would sell like crazy.

Let's hope we see something at both ends of that scale.

24. macrumors 68000

azentropy

I find it more unlikely that the "iBook" would be the only Macintosh without the name "Mac" in it. So I say it is more likely to be MacBook, but I have a hunch it is going to be called iMacbook...

25. macrumors regular

firsttube

Word on the grapevine is that Steve is delivering every single of these models by hand! :D