Apple MacBook Pro Refurb Problems!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by menziep, Mar 25, 2007.

1. menziep macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2006
    I bought a MacBook Pro in late december and it was sent to me on the 3rd of Jan 07, see signiture for specs.

The First problem i nocied was the display was budging, i found out that this was caused a broken latch on the right.

The Second problem i have had was the occasional electric shock (mild) when the powercord was pluged in, and i understand that this is a common problem and isnt causing any problems to the computer.

The third problem i nocticed was with the disk drive, it was on my level desk and then trapped the CD, after removing the disk from the drive, i noticed that the disk was scratched to hell in a cricular fasion, costing me money to replace it.

The fourth problem is with the MagSafe Power Cord which has been coming loose.

The fifth problem i have been having is with heat, i belive that is mainly caused by Improperly applied thermal grease.

These are the problems ive been having with the MacBook Pro for the last 3 months and would like your input on the matter, what my rights are and the best way to go about returing it for repair/replacement. (I Have the 1 Year Apple Limited Warranty)
  2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2006
    London, United Kingdom
    Well you have the 1 year warranty. So the best thing to do is to just call Apple. The only thing that they may not look at is the heat problem as they will tell you its working within there specs. But bulging displays, superdrive issues and powercords will prob be sorted by Apple
  3. menziep thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2006
  4. iBenzin macrumors member

Mar 9, 2007
  5. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

Oct 1, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    That warranties there for a reason. Give Apple a call.
  6. menziep thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2006
    Thanks, Im Calling Apple Today.

btw. if they send me a replacement, will they send me the latest model? ie. Core 2 Duo MBP
  7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    If they were to replace it, you'd get a machine of equal or better spec. There are no guarantees as to what that spec might be.
  8. menziep thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2006

Thanks, for the replies.
  9. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2005
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Another refurb with issues....

You can get it repaired at this point.
    1-800-275-2273 <----- These guys will take care of your warranty issues, and give you a spiffy brown box to send it back in.
  10. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2007
    I've been thinking about getting a refurb MBP too. Hmm, as long that 1 year warranty is worldwide, I think I'll get one.
  11. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Do they give refurb machines as replacements or brand new ones?
  12. scokim macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2005
    They normally replace it with a refurbished one in Australia.

If there's anything wrong with your online purchase, make sure you log the problem within 14 days to get a replacement. After 14 days, they will tell you to go to the nearest authorised dealer.