Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just received my refurb MacBook 1.83GHz CD (the basic model), $799 from Apple.com. Everything was as good as new, I am totally happy with it.

I also got 1GB RAM instead of the listed 512MB, which is basically another $100 bonus. I also noticed in the forums that someone else recently ordered the same unit, and also got the extra RAM.

I don't know if we were just lucky, or if Apple no longer has the 256MB sticks. But this is a phenomenal computer for the price, for someone who doesn't do graphic intensive work. I was so-so on the design at first (coming from a 12" PB), but have since come to like it very much (including the keyboard.) Plus I love the glossy screen. This computer costs no more than G4 iBook about a year ago, yet has so much more power and features.

Just letting others know, in case you're considering the same model. Again, I have no idea if all of them come this way. But maybe others who have ordered refurbs recently can post what they received.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
It's a refurb and seeing that you have extra ram it was probably owned by someone else before you and Apple couldn't change the order. Please correct me if I am wrong.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think most of Apple's refurbs aren't pre-owned. I've bought 2 different computers and a couple of different iPods, and all have been in absolutely mint condition. And most of Apple's products scratch and scuff pretty easily.

If it was just me, then I would've figured I just got lucky. But I read about someone else getting the extra RAM first, which got my hopes up since my order was on its way...luckily I got the extra RAM too.

Trippy Jr

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
It seems to work like this - their system only recognizes that they have X number of, say, "2Ghz Macbook Black", but it doesn't go so deep as to specify what BTO options they came with, so as to simplify the process.

Obviously, it would be hard to list every single BTO that they get returned, so it's basically a "you will get AT LEAST this specification."

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
It happens from time to time. My refurb MBP came with a 7200 rpm drive. Apple also surprised me with a RAM upgrade when my machine had to go in for service.

jimijay

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2006
You just got lucky, I bought my girlfriend a refurb MB for Christmas- Only 512 mb RAM, oh well.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I think that these machines are coming from ones that didn't pass the final test at the factory. They get pulled, fixed, and then sold on the refurb site.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
yeah I got exactly that computer (white 1.83 CD Macbook) and it had the RAM upgrade. Ordered it on Dec 23rd. well worth the $800.

The serial number indicates that it was from the last week or two before the C2D upgrade was announced. So it may never have been owned... just overstock. Although that wouldn't explain the RAM upgrade.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Could you post some pics please? i was thinking of getting a refurb Macbook pro but im worried about marks etc.

Hi Caris,

I could, but it would really be pointless (especially since I've now used it for a little while.) The refurb 2 Macs and couple of iPods I've ordered from Apple have been totally brand new in appearance. The MacBook came in a box that said 'refurbished'. Everything inside was as new.

The eMac I ordered actually came in the regular retail box (I think that one was a leftover edu model they were clearing out.)

I don't think anyone has ever received anything from Apple that looked used in any way.

I read somewhere else in this forum that someone recently received a refurb MacBook with the listed 512MB RAM, so I guess it's not all MacBooks that are coming this way. Don't know about the MBP's.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Why does this seem weird? BTO machines break and need to be sent back to Apple. That is where a good portion of their refurb stock comes from.

What is weird is that the MacBook was absolutely mint condition, as has been every Apple.com refurb I've bought. MacBooks start scuffing (very lightly) pretty much as soon as you start handling them, and this one was absolutely perfect when I got it.

Maybe there's some polish or treatment they can apply to restore a MacBook or iPod's appearance.

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
I, too, bought my girlfriend a MB for Christmas. I bought the refurbished 2.0 with the superdrive, and before I got it, I was scoping out the 1 gig upgrade. Came with the 1 gig RAM, as well as the 80gig hard drive. Saved me 100 bucks!

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
What is weird is that the MacBook was absolutely mint condition, as has been every Apple.com refurb I've bought. MacBooks start scuffing (very lightly) pretty much as soon as you start handling them, and this one was absolutely perfect when I got it.

Maybe there's some polish or treatment they can apply to restore a MacBook or iPod's appearance.

Apple usually restore the product. I've gotten several refurb iPods, not one had a scuff or scratch on it. Buying refurb is as good as buying new, you just get the computer in a brown box instead of a white/black box!

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
I guess it wouldn't be that hard for them to pop the inards into a new case as part of the refurb process. It would be interesting to know how they handle these.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I guess it wouldn't be that hard for them to pop the inards into a new case as part of the refurb process. It would be interesting to know how they handle these.

Yes, I agree that's probably the case, and would explain why some refurbs have better specs.

I appreciate that Apple bothers to do this, it changes the buying experience significantly.

On a side note, I think I'm starting the get the discoloration on the right palmrest. It doesn't bother me, I know I'll just need to take it into a store sometime in the next couple of months. Main thing is just having the downtime...

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
On a side note, I think I'm starting the get the discoloration on the right palmrest. It doesn't bother me, I know I'll just need to take it into a store sometime in the next couple of months. Main thing is just having the downtime...

I think that you may be able to call your local Apple store and have them order the replacement for you, and then when they receive it you can just take your Macbook there and they'll do it on the spot (or if not, it'll just take 1-2 days instead of 1-2 weeks). It doesn't hurt to call and ask.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

For now, its barely noticeable but does resemble pics I have seen. If it gets worse, I will definitely be taking it into an Apple store. I live in LA, so unlike many I have numerous Apple stores, all within an hour or so!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.