Apple/Macintosh to become one name?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Peyton, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I have some friends that like Apple stuff but think the two names are confusing. One actually thought that Macintosh made computers while Apple made iPods and software.

Do you think they would ever simplify the name issue? Based on some of my friends (and even some coworkers) I think people would actually switch faster if it didn't confuse them. I think its a petty reason not to switch, but they get gunshy because they do cost more than windows PCs and just assume everything is the same, just pay more for more confusion. Thoughts?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Apple does not even use Macintosh anymore

Its Mac

Apple Makes Mac,which is a name of its computer line, iPod is also made by apple

3. mcmillan macrumors 6502

Exactly. If you think about it, macintosh is a type of apple. So Apple Computer makes a type of computer called Macintosh (now Mac).

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, the term Macintosh is sprinkled here and there on Apple.com... here, for instance:

http://guide.apple.com/index.lasso

EDIT: Beaten to it. But I do agree with the main point. I don't think the branding is that confusing. Apple's music players are called iPods, and also have specific names, like Nano and Shuffle. Why is that less confusing than the fact that Apple's computers are called Macs, and have specific names like PowerMac and iMac?

6. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

You can break it down much like cars. You have the company, the product line, and the model.

Toyota | Sienna | LE

Apple | iMac | Core Duo

Apple | iPod | nano

Apple is the company. Mac is just their computer line. iPod is their music player line.

7. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Actually, just to be specific, macintosh is a type of raincoat. McIntosh is a variety of apple.

8. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

It was a spelling mistake of the real word, McIntosh: This apple was discovered by John McIntosh in Canada in 1811. It is a medium-size red-on-green apple with a sweet flesh that is crisp, juicy and slightly perfumed. McIntosh (or "Macs" as they are commonly known) are excellent to eat fresh in season. Later Macs are best used for applesauce. Available September 22 - Thanksgiving.

I forgot the chap's name who worked for Apple and developed the Mac, but his fave. apple was the McIntosh and he spelled it wrong. So that's where Macintosh derived from.

Someone help me with the chap's name!

9. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

His name was Jeff Raskin. He spelled it wrong purposefully. There was a high end audio manufacturer back then called McIntosh. He wanted to avoid trademark infringement issues. Sadly, Jeff passed away last February from pancreatic cancer.

10. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Steve gave him NO credit for establishing the first Macintosh...

It just says he misspelled the apple's name in the book iCon, no real explanation.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

You got me! But very rarely used, its more Mac and iPod now

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The default HD name is still Macintosh HD. When I switched back, it took me all the way back to my System 7 Performa ;)

13. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

It isn't used as much as it used to be, but Mac is Macintosh, and the name will never be forgotten, even if Apple did remove it over time from EVERYTHING.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's easy to forget since it's been a few years, but there are still non-Apple Macs out there. Apple may simply want to keep the branding distinct so that their options are open.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your level of geek-hood scares me.

Welcome.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I know a lot of PC users who talk about people like me who use "Apples", referring to the computers. But I guess it doesn't really matter.

17. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I am one of those who still uses an Apple. It's a IIgs. I have also started teaching my kids how to program in BASIC.
    I am sick.

18. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

And an equally large number refer to the company as "Mac"

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought they only made cosmetics. They're making computers now? :eek: ;) :D

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's *Mack*. MAC makes cosmetics. :)

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    And very good ones they are too... Their lash-extending mascara is wonderful :eek:

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sadly, I am cursed with naturally insanely long lashes. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. :eek:

Now...I could use some eye shadow. :)

24. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Close, but no cigar. McIntosh is the abbreviation for MacIntosh. Read any standard dictionary. You will find that Mc is alphabetized as Mac. This means that McIntosh is listed before Mbutu. When the Macintosh was under development, the discussion was not about Macintosh vs. McIntosh. It was about Macintosh vs. MacIntosh. In other words, Apple chose to use a lower case letter i rather than upper case. The letter a was not a part of the controversy.

25. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

i thought of it this way:

Microsoft -> Windows

Apple -> Macintosh