Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
No windose 8 for a long time, now windose 10. Pehaps better, but similar issues, has to add several third part admin apps to make for a workable unit, but the 10 man IT crew takes care of that.
[doublepost=1464204350][/doublepost]

Being defensive or just taking it personally? :) Windose fan boys don't like hearing the truth?

Ah, I see you are just here to troll then... Have fun with the others presently in my ignore bin.

fieldz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Yorkshire
I use my computers to run applications thus the OS is really not relevant. Being an experienced user of both OS X and Windows I find neither to be better than the other.

Windows 10 is not just an OS though, it's much more, it's a personal data mining tool for MS.

It's intrusive and cortana is a rip off of SIRI, there's nothing new, edge is IE with a facelift.
Microsoft make it very hard for the general person to use 3rd party browsers, they're building a system where the end user is locked in.

Reactions: Synchro3

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
Windows 10 is not just an OS though, it's much more, it's a personal data mining tool for MS.

It's intrusive and cortana is a rip off of SIRI, there's nothing new, edge is IE with a facelift.
Microsoft make it very hard for the general person to use 3rd party browsers, they're building a system where the end user is locked in.
Even if what you wrote is accurate it has nothing to do with one OS being (or not) better than the other. I do find it interesting an Apple user would take issue with vendor lock in given Apple is the leader in this area.

Reactions: tuxon86

fieldz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Yorkshire
Even if what you wrote is accurate it has nothing to do with one OS being (or not) better than the other. I do find it interesting an Apple user would take issue with vendor lock in given Apple is the leader in this area.

It's better the devil you know, we know Apple is in the same business but it's been known for years and people have no issue with it, they take user privacy seriously.

Now MS has made a huge switch from XP and Win7 to Win10 in that they all of a sudden are going after peoples data like a pittbull on a rabbit.

I think XP and 7 were great systems, had nothing bad to say about them but with 10 and cortana I think MS are going in the wrong direction, if I had to run a PC I would use a free OS.

The vast majority of people are just going to install 10, mostly not even knowing what they're signing up to and even more sadly not even caring, if Apple had the same level of data collecting as win10 it would'nt be much of a problem as the OSX environment is much more secure but the vast majority of spyware, bugs, malware, data collecting bot networks......ext are all on Windows machines.

Last edited:

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
It's better the devil you know, we know Apple is in the same business but it's been known for years and people have no issue with it, they take user privacy seriously.

Now MS has made a huge switch from XP and Win7 to Win10 in that they all of a sudden are going after peoples data like a pittbull on a rabbit.
Why is the same behavior better merely because "it's the devil you know"? If the behavior is bad then it's bad regardless of who engages in it.

As for the data collection of Windows 10 if that's a concern of yours I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. I feel you're either unfamiliar with Microsoft's data collection / privacy policies or you're exaggerating.

One other thing...to change the default browser in Windows 10:

1. Click on the "start menu"
2. Click "Settings"
3. Click the "System, Display, notifications, apps, power" Icon
4. Click on "Default apps"
5. Click on the current default web browser
6. Click on the third party web browser you'd like to set as the default
7. Close the settings screen

Not difficult at all. Maybe a lot of steps but not difficult (let alone very difficult).

fieldz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Yorkshire
Why is the same behavior better merely because "it's the devil you know"? If the behavior is bad then it's bad regardless of who engages in it.

As for the data collection of Windows 10 if that's a concern of yours I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. I feel you're either unfamiliar with Microsoft's data collection / privacy policies or you're exaggerating.

One other thing...to change the default browser in Windows 10:

1. Click on the "start menu"
2. Click "Settings"
3. Click the "System, Display, notifications, apps, power" Icon
4. Click on "Default apps"
5. Click on the current default web browser
6. Click on the third party web browser you'd like to set as the default
7. Close the settings screen

Not difficult at all. Maybe a lot of steps but not difficult (let alone very difficult).

DEpends who you ask, given the vast majority of people worldwide are computer illiterate, 7 steps going deep into the settings is a lot to ask just for one things that ought to be an option with one click. something as simple as changing a browser.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
DEpends who you ask, given the vast majority of people worldwide are computer illiterate, 7 steps going deep into the settings is a lot to ask just for one things that ought to be an option with one click.
How do I one click change the default browser on my iPhone? How does a user one click change the default browser in OS X (I'm running a few versions back on my Macs so I won't use those as a basis for this discussion)?

fieldz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Yorkshire
How do I one click change the default browser on my iPhone? How does a user one click change the default browser in OS X (I'm running a few versions back on my Macs so I won't use those as a basis for this discussion)?

"Set as default browser" check box

fieldz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Yorkshire
Where is this check box located? On the desktop?

When you install a 3rd party browser you are given the option with one click (rather than having to make 7 navigational steps deep into the system settings.

I guess win10 will keep you in a job for many more years.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
When you install a 3rd party browser you are given the option with one click (rather than having to make 7 navigational steps deep into the system settings.

I guess win10 will keep you in a job for many more years.
The same applies with Windows when you first run a third party browser after installing it. Seems as if Windows and OS X are equals here. Now how do you one click change the default browser after you've installed it. How do I one click change the default browser on my iPhone?

fieldz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Yorkshire
The same applies with Windows when you first run a third party browser after installing it. Seems as if Windows and OS X are equals here. Now how do you one click change the default browser after you've installed it.

No they're not equal, with Windows you have to go deep into the settings to change the default browser, that's my whole point.

How do I one click change the default browser on my iPhone?

We are talking about OSX and Windows.

you need to go here.
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/iphone.99/

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
No they're not equal, with Windows you have to go deep into the settings to change the default browser, that's my whole point.
You're not comparing like to like. On OS X you use an installation option checkbox as the one click solution to changing the default browser and comparing it to a non install process on Windows. When using an installation option checkbox Windows equals OS X. So I ask how does a user one click change the default browser on OS X after they've already installed it?

That link does not describe how to one click change the default browser on the iPhone. Or should I be clicking that link from my iPhone and it will automatically change it to my preferred third party browser?

fieldz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
Yorkshire
You're not comparing like to like. On OS X you use an installation option checkbox as the one click solution to changing the default browser and comparing it to a non install process on Windows. When using an installation option checkbox Windows equals OS X. So I ask how does a user one click change the default browser on OS X after they've already installed it?

To install a 3rd party browser on Win10 and use it as your main browser you have to go into the system settings.

That link does not describe how to one click change the default browser on the iPhone. Or should I be clicking that link from my iPhone and it will automatically change it to my preferred third party browser?

I don't own an iPhone.
[doublepost=1464215489][/doublepost]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

here's another thing that should'nt be happening.

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35251484

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Yes it does with CC... I have it installed and running on both my iMac and my PC,.
[doublepost=1464194329][/doublepost]
CC is subscription based, not a stand alone copy.

CC doesn't come from the app store, as I stated in my second point. Not everyone use solely adobe apps.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
CC doesn't come from the app store, as I stated in my second point. Not everyone use solely adobe apps.
Your comment i was responding to was specific to photoshop...
Most of the big name are going to subscription model like adobe. That's the way of the future.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
To install a 3rd party browser on Win10 and use it as your main browser you have to go into the system settings.
That's not an answer to my question. I'll take your deflection as your admittance there is no way to perform a one click default browser selection in OS X.

I don't own an iPhone.
This too is not an answer to my question.

Given your inability to answer my question despite repeated asks I have to conclude you're nothing but a troll.

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
There are computer geeks where the OS does not matter. Then there are creative arts folks who are relatively computer clueless and just want something to work without aggravation and without needing a dozen IT guys for support. Thats where the MacOS has an advantage by far, I think. My creative arts friends using windose boxes mostly because the management bean counters say its better that way, spend much time on crashes, overcoming quirks, spamware and special configurations than my creative arts friends on OSX boxes. Its just what they have to do. Of course there may be a super app that only runs on windose.

By the way, the company shies away from HP work stations because of their low quality build and reliability issues. They much prefer the better built and supported Dell brand. Today they priced out a Dell tower equivalent to the 8 core MacPro with 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD and dual D700 and it was $8870; $6700 after their special discount in quantities of 100. I can by the MacPro for $6800. Doesn't seem to be much of a cost delta, but I'm sure they missed something :) .

The BS meter went off very quickly on this one. Nice try though.
[doublepost=1464227341][/doublepost]
They are not authorized and are blocked from any downloads, a constraint my MacOS frieds don't have :) Several friends, not just one as you may be implying. Some were stuck on XP for a long time because the security folks didn't trust anything until a extensively patched Windose 7 version was available. They really don't trust anything newer for proprietary work but most have been used windose 8 for awhile, some now windose 10. Pehaps better, but has similar issues, has to add several third part admin apps to make for a workable unit, but the 10 man IT crew takes care of that. Still blocked from doing much research or downloading, however.
[doublepost=1464204350][/doublepost]

Being defensive or just taking it personally? :) Windose fan boys don't like hearing the truth? Don't have a valid discussion point, just attack the messenger and divert the conversation?
Your post is complete BS. A 12 year old could tell a better lie.
[doublepost=1464227413][/doublepost]
Guys I have a friend who switched to Windows and now he has to have 25 IT support technicians live with him in his home in order to service the machine. True story.
lol
Sounds much more believable than ColdLie.
[doublepost=1464227567][/doublepost]

images

So much mis-information and ignorance.

Last edited:
Reactions: scott.n and H2SO4

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
I agree but it's a issue for legitimate users. If you own Photoshop for the Mac, it doesn't grant you the right to use it on Windows. Switching OS also means buying a new license for all platforms that you use.
Not so. Adobe allow you to exchange your Mac Photoshop licence for a Windows one & vice versa for software you own. It;s even easier if you subscribe to Creative Cloud then you are licensed for two systems & can have one Windows & one Mac & swap back & forth as often as you like provided that you use no more than two systems at once.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/exchange-product-language-os.html

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Not so. Adobe allow you to exchange your Mac Photoshop licence for a Windows one & vice versa for software you own. It;s even easier if you subscribe to Creative Cloud then you are licensed for two systems & can have one Windows & one Mac & swap back & forth as often as you like provided that you use no more than two systems at once.
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/exchange-product-language-os.html

You guys seems to believe that the only product that people own is photoshop. Everything bought from the app store is not multi-platform. There is a cost associated to switching, unless you use one software or don't buy any. I always been on Windows & Linux and also owned a few Mac, unless you don't buy stuff, there is a cost. I bought over 50 mac apps and can't use a single of them on Windows.

s-hatland

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
on the default browser thing, how do i, in windows 10, change cortana to use my browser of choice, or even my search engine of choice? that's locked in to edge and bing. nothing (at the moment) anyone can do about it.

also, something no one ever mentions when switching OS - the keyboard shortcuts. i'm a shortcut fiend. maybe even a bit of a master. watching someone work that doesn't use them is like watching paint dry. they are invaluable (to me) and having those three buttons in the lower left of the keyboard completely switched around between the two OSs is ridiculously frustrating. muscle memory is something that's hard to change, especially if you're using both (mac @ home, windows @ work). finally had to coax the tech team at work to let me edit the registry to swap key functions. convincing them was a feat in and of itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.