Apple Mail and Penny Stock e-mail Spam

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, Jan 7, 2007.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Does anyone know any way of stopping these damn Penny Stock e-mails getting through Apple Mail's spam filter?

I'm getting more and more of them and they're pissing me off beyond belief. It's the only spam i get!

Attached Files:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not all of those seem to pass through, but they do seem to pass through much more often than any other spam, yeah... :(

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You can set up a rule to catch these sorts of things...example here.

Just be careful if you typically receive legitimate e-mails with embedded images from people who have not corresponded with you...this rule will also junk those messages. But checking your Junk mailbox frequently will help you make sure you're not junking the good stuff. :)

4. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Excellent, cheers. I was wondering about this but I didn't realise they were embedded images.

Would it also junk html e-mails with images in them?

5. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

I'd be interested in seeing if anyone has a remedy 'cause I get them all the time as well.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

In the thread linked above, there are several people using the "if sender is not in my previous recipients" rule so that might help. I'm not sure how efficient it is but I'll try it.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

My rule is the same as the one WildCowboy posted, but has the following variation and seems to catch them:

Any attachment name ends with .gif

I did this because I found I would have a few friends telling their friends my e-mail address to send me photos, so now when they send me their .jpg files they end up in a different folder and not the junk bag, while all the image spam is stuck in the junk bag.

8. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That sounds like a good idea too.

Also just to clarify, is "multipart/related" a recognised filter rule that will work with Mail?

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That works only until you get HTML formatted emails with emoticons or backgrounds or logos in them, then you're back to false positives.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

True...as WildCowboy said, anyone applying either the rule linked in his post or any variation on it should check their junk box often.

My rule has worked for me but it might not work for everyone depending on the amount or type of mail they receive.