1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple Mail CPU and other issues

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Baklava, Jun 13, 2013.

  1. Baklava, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

    macrumors 6502a

    Baklava

    #1
    My Mail is using 40-60% of the CPU. Is it just me? Another big issue: scrolling though the mailboxes and folders on the left side is not working properly. Every time I scroll down the list, the scrollbar goes up itself. Has someone else that issue?

    EDIT: The CPU goes back to normal when I disable all mail accounts. But that's not the sense of Mail. :D
     
  2. macrumors member

    #2
    Does the same thing for me. It's been over 100% for over an hour.
     
  3. macrumors regular

    #3
    Mail is crashing a lot for me. Sucks... Everything else is soooo gooood. Any fixes out there for this?
     
  4. bibyfok, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

    macrumors 6502

    bibyfok

    #4
    Go to Windows/activity --> Loop with an account? For me its my googleapps account that keep refreshing in a loop... :/
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    Baklava

    #5
    EXACT problem here. Have multiple accounts, one of them is Google Apps. Deactivating Google-Account fixes the CPU problem. Activating it, rockets the CPU usage again to about 50.

    EDIT: Yes, same here! Endless refresh-loop.
     
  6. macrumors newbie

    #6
    I think this happens with international GMail accounts where the special folders don't match with what Mail expects. Eg. for German GMail account the drafts folder is at [Google Mail]\Entwürfe but Mail expect [Google Mail]\Drafts so when saving a Draft it creates a new folder/label [Imap]\Drafts and starts constantly polling the GMail server/eating CPU.

    Try removing those labels created by Apple mail through the GMail web interface settings -> labels and restart mail. In my case that solves the constant polling until I save a new draft…
     
  7. macrumors member

    #7
    Well, just to add to this...

    I upgraded to 10.9 last night. There was a lot of md_stores/mdworker activity that happened for a while (as expected) and then I opened Mail.app...

    Several (4 of 8?) CPU's suddenly were pegged. Part of it was internet accounts and part was Mail.

    It took a while for Mail to even respond (an hour?), but the CPUs were still pegged. After 5 or so hours I gave up and put the system to sleep.

    Suffice to say, this morning, it ran out of application RAM. (Of the 8GB of RAM, it was well over 5GB and Mail.app was the only app running other than the Finder.) Every time I would launch Mail.app it would run out of Application RAM within 2 minutes (prior to being responsive - meaning I couldn't disable accounts, and yes, I tried disabling networking, but this was all just dealing with everything on the hard drive.)

    I eventually gave up and deleted my ~/Library/Mail folder and started from scratch. It's not going to be fun downloading all of my mail again (I know I was just shy of 7000 *unread* messages from 7 different accounts - 4 of which are gmail, and the largest of which has ≈130k messages in it) but if it works, I suppose it will end up being OK.

    At least I didn't have any POP accounts.

    Thus far this has been my only (yet quite major) issue with 10.9.
     
  8. macrumors G4

    flopticalcube

    #8
    Same issue for me. Mail using large amounts of RAM/CPU. Takes ages to respond and makes the whole system sluggish.
     
  9. macrumors newbie

    #9
    I was wondering why 2 of my 3 Gmail acounts where the culprits, and thos 2 were in french and the third was already in english, I put all my account in english and CPU usage immidiately fell!

    Thank you for your tip!
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    #10
    I had a problem with mail too after upgrade on my MBPr. Out of nowhere an old pop version of my gmail account showed up (swear I don't know how) and made itself default. Took me too long to figure out that there were two versions (pop and imap) of the same account. Inactivated the pop version and everything started to behave better.
     
  11. macrumors newbie

    #11
    After upgrading, I also had problems with Mail. When I tried to open it, it would stuck half open, eat CPU and wouldn't show any mailboxes. After couple of restarts, I decided to open and wait. Then couple of hours later it suddenly was working again :)
     
  12. macrumors newbie

    #12
    I noticed that my Accounts.plist file in ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData had grown to a massive 70 MB. Simply deleting this file fixed the issue (the new Accounts.plist is only 10 KB). I had to set up my Gmail accounts again, but it was a snap in Mavericks, and all of my preferences and messages are intact (since I didn't delete any of the other folders).
     

Share This Page