Apple Mail, Deleted account and Inbox... HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ^squirrel^, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi,

I deleted an account within Mail which deletes the inbox and sent items for that account.

I made a copy of the inbox but forgot to copy the sent. What is the best way to recover the lost Sent items?

Thanks

Darren

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of email account was it? If it's IMAP, there's a chance the emails can be re-downloaded from your server. If it's POP (much more likely) and the emails were only kept on your hard disk, then you'll need some sort of data-recovery app. Data recovery is outlined well in this thread. Good luck. :)

3. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Are you sure?

All i need to recover is the Sent Items. All the sub folders are still there, it's just the Sent Items that have gone.

Not sure even data recovery would be able to target the Sent Items?

4. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Can anyone help, things are getting a bit of a panic now?

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Is it a POP account or IMAP or something else? Is it a 3rd party provider (Hotmail, Gmail, .Mac, etc) or something homegrown or in the office? If it's an office or homegrown solution what is being used?

The more information we have results in better and quicker answers to be given.

6. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Sorry, the deatils are....

POP server
    In house/office mail server

Hope this helps a bit?

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well it's been a while since I've used a POP server (knowingly) but I believe most of the time when you set it up you either tell it to leave the messages on the server or to remove them from the server when you retrieve them.

If you left them on the server then they are still there most likely but if you chose to remove them from the server during retrieval then your only restoration solution is from your local hard disk most likely. I'd poke around with what mad jew suggested as he tends to be smart in this sort of area.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So I'm guessing there's nothing in the folder ~/Library/Mail/POP#/Sent Items.mbox/ where ~/ is your home directory and #is your email address@pop.whatever (it's obvious which folder I'm talking about...)?

If so then back this folder up and see if you can re-import the messages to mail...