Apple Mail dilema

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by TyleRomeo, Sep 25, 2002.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

ok what exactly is the point of Mail icon on OSX 10.2? I have yahoo.com, but id like to use apple mail program as long as its free. Is there anyway do use apple mail without paying for it. otherwise i'll just delete it

tyler

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Just to clarify, the Mail icon is not a free email service. The free email service that ends in a few days was iTools and is now .Mac. The mail icon is an email application that I love using. That's why it's in the dock, it's an Apple iApplication.

3. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

but i have to pay for it under .mac for $100 in order to be able to use it and its mail filtering faetures.

tyler

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

no you don't , you pay for the .mac service, you can still use other mails services under mail.app, and junk mail is free , its built in the mail application its not a .mac feature

5. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you for your help mac15, but how exactly would i use yahoo.com as my mail account in apple mail app?

it keeps on asking for a password and is trying to locate on SMTP server “smtp.mac.com”

can anyone tell me what kind of idiot i am

tyler

6. bidge macrumors 6502

Don't worry, everyone has there moments, but do you really need a Dual 1.25Ghz if you can't use a consumer program. I suppose you have Dual 23-inch Studio Displays as well.

You can fix this up in two ways.

Firstly you can go to the system preferences. Apple Menu --->> System Preferences and in it using the internet panel and in that select email. Those fields should be fairly straight forward all of the information should be obtainable from Yahoo.

You can also do it directly in mail. When mail is opne choose Mail -->> Preferences then click accounts (top right) then add a new account and enter your account details.

All this only works of course if you can use Yahoo mail directly from an application and not through webmail.

Good Luck

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I' not sure what the mail servers are for yahoo, but ask around someone will tell you,

8. bidge macrumors 6502