Apple mail has me whupped

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gambuchi, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Gambuchi macrumors member

Hi guys and gals.. I have two yahoo mailboxes in addition to the one on my ISP site that I would like the apple mail program to check for me.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to configure mail to do it?? any help would be appreciated

(step by step would be really nice)

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I found a Microsoft page about accessing Yahoo mail using Outlook, so I can translate it into what you'd do in Mail...

note: according to the page, you need to be signed up for the Yahoo! Delivers service (http://subscribe.yahoo.com/deliver?) to be able to access your Yahoo mail from a third-party program such as Apple's Mail. If you don't want to do that (I wouldn't, it seems like they're going to constantly spam you with "special offers" but whatever), you may not be able to use Mail for your Yahoo mail.

Anyway, to set up Mail for your Yahoo account, try this:

in Mail, open the Preferences (Command-comma or select it in the "Mail" menu)
    go to the Accounts pane (in the row of icons on top)
    in the bottom-left corner, click the + (plus sign) icon
    configure the account settings like this:
    Account Type: POP
    Description: Yahoo (or whatever you want to call it)
    Email Address: your full email address, with the @yahoo.com part
    Full Name: your name
    Incoming Mail Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    User Name: your yahoo ID (without the @yahoo.com part)
    Password: your password

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): select "Add Server..." then in the window that comes up, the Outgoing Mail Server is smtp.mail.yahoo.com and for Authentication select Password, then enter your username (without @yahoo.com) and password. To change these SMTP settings in the future, click "Server Settings..." which is in the main account settings.

I think you have to do this whole process for each account (each username) that you want to have a mailbox for. Once you do all this, close the prefs, it should ask you to save, click Save (or Yes, or whatever). I hope that works for you, and I hope these instructions weren't too step-by-step for you :p

Good luck!

3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

you can search around, on versiontracker and such, to see if there's a third-party plugin for mail that will let normal yahoo accounts work with it... It's doubtful that one exists, but I found one which lets me access my hotmail account, so it's possible...

4. spookykids macrumors member

spookykids

Ditch yahoo, it suck just as much as hotmail. Do what i do, only use Yahoo/Hotmail accounts for IM. I recommend you get fastmail for your primary email needs.