Apple Mail, .Mac account and external email address?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Max on Macs, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Hi there,

I use Mail when I'm on one of my own machines, mac.com when I'm on a machine at a friend's house or at a cyber cafe. In .Mac preferences you can set it up to also check an external POP3 account. I have some questions:

1. If it checks that account, can it also send email from this email address as an option (and do it automatically when replying to an email sent to it)?
    2. Does this setting follow through so if I have just .Mac setup within Apple Mail it downloads everything, including the second email address?
    3. Does Apple Mail do the same as Q1?

If this isn't possible then I guess I can live without the second email when I don't have my own machine with me. But is it possible to use Apple Mail to download the messages into a folder on the .Mac account called 'Work' and not show all of the crap folder list from the other account?

Thanks

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

1 and 3) I believe that Apple allows you to make this setup to just check or get your email from that other account, not to send out as it.

2) I think if you make the setting changes at .Mac, it will continue to check even while you use the Mail application. Since my understanding is that when you go to check your .Mac email using Mail, your .Mac email account has been setup on their server to check another email address.

As for 1 and 3 answers from me, this is a educated guess, you might want to just set it up, and see what happens.