Apple Mail not connecting to G-mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by NickD, Jul 13, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

NickD

Within the last 10 minutes, Apple Mail has suddenly lost the ability to connect with my G-mail account and retrieve mail.

I get the standard error:

But it will not seem to re-connect for anything. I checked, and G-mail is working just fine in my web browser, but any idea why Mail can't connect all of a sudden?

NickD

2. macrumors 65816

Dont be so paranoid.... maybe their pop server is down. Wait a few and try again. If it was working just fine before, and it just stopped, they probly just have an interruption in service. Try back in 2 hours.

3. macrumors 65816

barr08

How is he being paranoid?

4. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

I had the same problem. It seems to be working fine now, though. Probably just a temporary glitch with GMail's POP servers.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm just letting it sit and using the online G-Mail right now, but it should be back shortly.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

It's still not connecting. Do you think there may be a problem? Should I try setting up my G-mail account in Mail again?

7. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

If nothing else works that's worth a try.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Yep. It's still not working. It'll send, but not receive. I'll try re-setting the account.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Well the reset seemed to help. Thanks for all the advice guys!

10. macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I wonder why this happens.

11. macrumors newbie

Mail randomly going offline

I've been getting a similar issue for a while - using Mountain Lion and IMAP to 2 seperate Gmail accounts. Every so often (no pattern yet observed) one or the other or both go "offline". The only way to get them back is to quit Mail and restart. While the accounts are "offline" on my MBP they are fine from either my iPhone or my iPad so its not the Gmail end...
    Any ideas?

12. macrumors newbie

stevo33

I'm not even able to get there! I went into Settings in my Gmail account and 'Enabled IMAP'. Then I opened Apple Mail on my iMac and tried adding a gmail account. It won't even acknowledge my username and password! I've tried EVERY way to be able to add this Gmail account to my Apple Mail... but no success. Any help out there? Thank you.

13. macrumors newbie

Even Stranger...

My friend has g-Mail and uses Apple Mail. However, when she receives e-Mail, the only way she can view it is by clicking on the Notification window. If she clicks on inbox, or any other mailbox, she gets nothing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Rick

14. macrumors G3

charlituna

There is something weird going on with gmail and Mail. I have a gmail account also and there's no unread message number, I can't delete messages (they just keep coming back. Not sure which side is the issue but I am a Yosemite beta member so I got a pre release on the next update and it has it addresses Mail issues. So I bit the bullet and I'm installing it to see what happens