Apple Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pianodude123, Jan 15, 2007.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Is there a way to set Apple Mail so that it requires a main password before you get access to the account or viewing messages? Once you enter that password I would like it to be normal again so that you do not have to enter the password for every account the program checks.

2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

That's how it should be operating, but some peoiple report intermittent times when they have to enter a password. That has been explained in other forums as a time when your ISP may be causing the problem. It may go away.

Otherwise, it could be a permissions or keychain issue, I'm guessing. If so, I'm even less help... :eek:

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

sorry...i was a little unclear with my question....(thats what happens when you type a questionout in under 30 seconds.)

What i want to do is make it so that before I (or anyone else snooping around my computer) gets access to any email i've already downloaded, I could encrypt them and require a password to open anything in the application.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the OP *wants* to have password control instead of remembering passwords?

I don't think there's an easy way to do exactly what you want. It's been discussed a few times before, and the big problem is that the whole system is based on a account-level access privilege. You're expected to lock the screen or go to the login window if you want to prevent access.

Some options you might explore....

- I guess in principle you could put the Mail.app in a password-protected disk image. This would be "fake" protection as all the mail would be accessible in text format from the command line.

- You *can* set it up so that you're asked for the password of each / certain accounts each time you check it. To do this, you delete the password from the account pane of the preferences, and then when it pops up and asks you for it, you make sure that the remember button is not selected. Then it should ask again the next time it tries. But this will not protect access to mail already on the computer. Also if it's an IMAP mailbox, you might be able to set the "keep offline copies" option in the advanced tab of the accounts prefs to be no messages kept. Then when you're not logged into it, you should see an empty inbox.

- Otherwise you should explore a solution that involves using account-level privileges. For instance, you can set up a guest account that has no access to your mail, etc, but has a web browser and other things you want. Then you fast user switch to the account with the mail when you need it. Or just lock the computer when you're not using it. ;)

5. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

all right....seems like more trouble than its really worth...